PDA

View Full Version : What's The Latest News On Giambi?

The Q Bomb
07-04-07, 10:58 PM
I haven't heard a word about him, except the daily listing of the DL by Suzyn Waldman. Is his injury improving at all? Does it look like he will be out the rest of the year? What about his meeting with the commissioner? Has a date been set for it? Right now it's like he's in Camp Pavano - invisible.

TheYankee
07-04-07, 10:59 PM
In a protective boot, no baseball action. Very likely he's done for the year... That's about all I know...

-tz
07-04-07, 11:14 PM
Actually, he had the boot removed about a week ago. He was going to have another scan done this week, but I haven't heard how it came out if, in fact, he's done it yet.

This is the latest I've seen, from Yankees.com. The story is dated June 29.

Small steps: Jason Giambi made a brief appearance at Yankee Stadium prior to Friday's game, and the slugger is set to have another scan next week to determine how quickly he is recovering from a partially torn plantar fascia in his left heel.

Giambi had been wearing a protective boot on his left foot since May 31, but he said that he had it removed on Monday. There is no timetable for Giambi's return, and The Associated Press reported that he could miss the rest of the season. http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070629&content_id=2056573&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

FingersCrossed
07-04-07, 11:18 PM
Heal well, Jason. Hope you'll get to help us out later in the season!

DaYanks24
07-04-07, 11:22 PM
The Yankees could certainly use his power.

TheYankee
07-04-07, 11:24 PM
Actually, he had the boot removed about a week ago. He was going to have another scan done this week, but I haven't heard how it came out if, in fact, he's done it yet.

This is the latest I've seen, from Yankees.com. The story is dated June 29.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070629&content_id=2056573&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

Ah, thank you.

TMS
07-05-07, 08:18 AM
Last I saw of him, he was driving a NYC cab.

-tz
07-05-07, 09:21 PM
From Yankees.com today:

Jason Giambi (torn left plantar fascia) has been removed from a walking boot, but he is still out indefinitely.http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070705&content_id=2068559&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

dave8274
07-05-07, 10:37 PM
Who??

JeffWeaverFan
07-05-07, 11:10 PM
Who??
Just the guy that this lineup is really missing.

Toaderly
07-05-07, 11:15 PM
He's driving a cab in Queens to pass the time until his foot heals.

http://www.thebronxcheer.com/wp-content/themes/gentle_calm/images/120706a.jpg

AlongCameAPrincess
07-06-07, 03:20 AM
My aunt and I are always on the phone talking about the Yankees and we both badly miss him. :( Comeback, JG. Get better and comeback!

Toaderly
07-22-07, 09:01 AM
New York DH Jason Giambi took batting practice for the first time since hurting his left foot and hopes to rejoin the Yankees by early next month. He took 20 swings in a batting cage at the team's spring training complex in Tampa, Fla., and could start hitting on the field in the next few days.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=270721310&action=playvideo&hcmp=motion

-tz
07-22-07, 11:56 AM
Yeah, I posted that in the "Injury Update Thread" ... I forgot about this one.

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showpost.php?p=4336229&postcount=178

That source added that Giambi "feels no pain. He is also running in the outfield and playing catch, and hopes to rejoin the Yankees by early August."

FingersCrossed
07-23-07, 02:43 PM
Great news on Jason! We could always use a great OBP guy with a power bat in our lineup! I guess if he comes back, Duncan will get sent back down. Oh well.

Kluivert4Ever
07-23-07, 03:13 PM
Great news on Jason! We could always use a great OBP guy with a power bat in our lineup! I guess if he comes back, Duncan will get sent back down. Oh well.

I think Duncan can stay and have a Ruben Sierra type role with us.

ZIM 2002
07-23-07, 03:38 PM
Aren't they always concerned that a (relative) youngster doesn't make a good bench player? (see Melky discussions)

Skars
07-23-07, 03:44 PM
Melky was 21, Duncan is 28

FingersCrossed
07-23-07, 03:46 PM
I think Duncan can stay and have a Ruben Sierra type role with us.
I hope the best for the young man. But 3 games are such a small sample. I guess we'll see. It's fun finding out what he's made of, though. :D

It's funny everytime I see him, I see a (much) powerful Phelps. Another all or nothing type hitter who's gonna K a lot. Oh well, we'll see. :D

-tz
07-23-07, 03:54 PM
Hey, FC, nice to see you back! :)

FingersCrossed
07-23-07, 04:00 PM
Hey, FC, nice to see you back! :)
((((((((((((((Hug)))))))))))))))
Missed you and your wonderful caps, too, -tz. :D

JeffWeaverFan
07-23-07, 04:22 PM
Not that it really matters, but Peter said he took 38 swings, not 20.

http://yankees.lohudblogs.com/2007/07/23/honor-for-cano-a-few-hacks-for-giambi/

Meanwhile, Jason Giambi took batting practice on the field today in Tampa. Accoring to the Associated Press, he took 38 cuts and said he felt fine.

No word on when The Big G will commence rehab games. They probably need to alert the police in Trenton and Scranton first.

koko
07-23-07, 04:22 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2946373&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

Won Gien Ming
07-23-07, 04:33 PM
It's good to hear Giambi is healing up well, but do we really want him back in the lineup when we've been doing so well without him? I like Giambi, so don't think I am bashing him or forgetting what he's done for us throughout the past few years. I just don't know if him being the DH after not playing for so long will help us more than it'll hurt us the rest of the season.

Kluivert4Ever
07-23-07, 04:36 PM
I hope the best for the young man. But 3 games are such a small sample. I guess we'll see. It's fun finding out what he's made of, though. :D

It's funny everytime I see him, I see a (much) powerful Phelps. Another all or nothing type hitter who's gonna K a lot. Oh well, we'll see. :D

I agree, Duncan will be no superstar or nothing (at least that what I think based on the small sample size), he will K A LOT but I think he can provide us with what Ruben did in 2003-2005.

-tz
07-23-07, 04:37 PM
He's a couple weeks away. We still have to decide what to do with Damon, who's been mostly DHing, if we want to give PT to Duncan if/while he remains hot, AND Phillips who so far has earned the right to play 1B every day, AND Melky, who's a far superior outfielder and one of the hotter bats of late.

One problem at a time.

Kluivert4Ever
07-23-07, 04:38 PM
He's a couple weeks away. We still have to decide what to do with Damon, who's been mostly DHing, if we want to give PT to Duncan if/while he remains hot, AND Phillips who so far has earned the right to play 1B every day, AND Melky, who's a far superior outfielder and one of the hotter bats of late.

One problem at a time.

IMO, Phillips and Cabrera should be locks at 1B and CF, its up to Damon, Duncan and Giambi (when he comes back) to battle it out for the DH position.

yankeesnumber1
07-23-07, 04:42 PM
IMO, Phillips and Cabrera should be locks at 1B and CF, its up to Damon, Duncan and Giambi (when he comes back) to battle it out for the DH position.

Its scarey to have two $20+million per year players and one minor league call up battling for one spot.

-tz
07-23-07, 04:42 PM
IMO, Phillips and Cabrera should be locks at 1B and CF, its up to Damon, Duncan and Giambi (when he comes back) to battle it out for the DH position.Right now, I want to see Duncan at least every time a lefty starts.

RIYankee23
07-23-07, 05:05 PM
It's good to hear Giambi is healing up well, but do we really want him back in the lineup when we've been doing so well without him? I like Giambi, so don't think I am bashing him or forgetting what he's done for us throughout the past few years. I just don't know if him being the DH after not playing for so long will help us more than it'll hurt us the rest of the season.

1. We really don't know what we have in Duncan given the small sample size against Tampa.

2. Giambi couldn't be much worse than Damon has been.

3. I'd add a healthy Giambi to any lineup.

Kluivert4Ever
07-23-07, 05:08 PM
Its scarey to have two $20+million per year players and one minor league call up battling for one spot.

Yes, but I dont care how much they make, Phillips is our best choice at 1B and Melky our best option in CF, thus they should play there everyday, which only leaves one spot open, the DH.

OldYankeeFan
07-23-07, 05:19 PM
Quote from ESPN News

The Yankees designated hitter also started running the bases and kept up a throwing program.

Can Joe possibly be thinking of Giambi at 1B?

FingersCrossed
07-23-07, 05:52 PM
Quote from ESPN News

The Yankees designated hitter also started running the bases and kept up a throwing program.

Nah, I wouldn't read too much into it. Giambi typically keeps up his fielding and throwing program as I recall reading it somewhere. Then again, if his foot is 100% healthy again, I don't see why Joe can't at least entertain the possibility. Jason has a track record of hitting better when he plays 1b. (Although that sounds sooooooooo long ago...)

OldYankeeFan
07-23-07, 06:15 PM
Jason has a track record of hitting better when he plays 1b. (Although that sounds sooooooooo long ago...)

I know, and was wondering how much injuries played into the reason for his poor batting at DH.

FingersCrossed
07-23-07, 06:23 PM
I know, and was wondering how much injuries played into the reason for his poor batting at DH.
Heavily, I'd assume. He has to land on his left foot every time he swings and pivots. Baserunning is such a secondary issue for him compared to that.

Just get healthy, Jason. All good things will come after that. ;)

RogerYY
07-25-07, 11:32 AM
Will Duncan be sent back to the minor league when Giambi returns?

Mantle'sMutt
07-25-07, 11:46 AM
It remains to be seen how well G will even do when he is fully healthy (or whether he is ever fully healthy again). I think that his skills had deteriorated badly even before the foot ailments, such much so that I considered him all but finished - or at least on the fast track out. We shall see.

The way the lineup has been clicking, I REALLY would hate to mess with it by putting G in the middle of the order somewhere. Maybe hit him in the hole now filled by Duncan/Cairo when giving someone a spell. I don't think the Yankees "owe" him anything at this point. I do not think the old "you get your spot back after the injury is healed" applies in this case.

Game4Tino
07-25-07, 11:47 AM
I'm not too sure on how to feel about Giambi returning. My brain says that if he can still mash and get on base, it would be great to have him back in the lineup at DH. My gut says that when Melky plays CF everyday, this is a better team. He brings skills to the position that Damon simply doesn't at this point. So, my brain also tells me that Melky will be a victim of salary. Damon is making top dollar so he is going to play and if Giambi is back, it's going to be CF. I just don't think Giambi is a viable candidate for first base and why mess with Phillips right now, he's playing wonderfuly and he injects life into the team a la Melky. If Giambi were a woman, I would break up with him, it's just time to move on. The Giambi Era never amounted to what we had all hoped and probably never will, so lets end it!

primetime714
07-25-07, 01:05 PM
With all this talk of Giambi spending time at 1B what about Damon possibly playing there? To be honest I think Damon might be a better defensive option there than Giambi. Damon has worked at the position this year and in the very few instances he has been called on to play there has done a good job.

I'd still want Phillips playing the majority of the time there but if Phillips stops hitting this might make sense.

Then we could use Damon almost as rotational player giving him time in LF, CF, DH, and 1B. Then between Damon, Phillips, Giambi, Melky, Matsui, and Abreu you could give each of these guys about a day off per week (probably less time off for guys like Matsui and Abreu though).

If Damon doesn't work out at 1B then we can still give Giambi some games there. However Damon is more likely to be able to handle the physical rigors of playing the field and probably couldn't be much if at all worse than Giambi defensively. With his athletic ability Damon could do a good job at the position.

justinvarnes
07-25-07, 01:17 PM
On May 4th this was Giambi's line: .326/.423/.537

Since that date, his numbers slowly and steadily declined until he went on the DL.

I don't expect those numbers from him. However, if Giambi is truly healthy, he is absolutely capable of .280/.400/.500

As late as May 16th (when it was clear he was injured) his line was: .280/.393/.449

I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Rice14
07-25-07, 03:24 PM
Giambi hopes to rejoin the team next week.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7051774

Bernie Inferno
07-25-07, 03:26 PM
Giambi to play in 2 FSL games for Tampa on Friday and will be reevaluated on Sunday. Possibly reactivated Monday.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19916944/

Anyone think Giambi will be traded if he is activated before deadline? Angels are still looking for a big bat.

Edit: Forgot about the *full* NTC

BxBomber44
07-25-07, 03:26 PM
Quote from ESPN News

i imagine that's just routine with any type of rehab for a baseball player.

Jace
07-25-07, 03:29 PM
Giambi to play in 2 FSL games for Tampa on Friday and will be reevaluated on Sunday. Possibly reactivated Monday.

Anyone think Giambi will be traded if he is activated before deadline? Angels are still looking for a big bat.

Full no trade clause, ridiculous contract, no fielding position, its basically impossible

Nicky_Mantle
07-25-07, 03:38 PM
People....
Respect the Giambino. He catches a lot of grief around here. I know he has deteriorated into a .250 hitting, swinging for the fences, home-run-or-bust, kind of player and he is a let down to all of our expectations of what he might have become as a Yankee, but consider these things:

1. HES AN ON-BASE PERCENTAGE MACHINE. Dude lead the league in walks last year. He has the best eye on our team. Batting him provides protection to other players. Picthers think twice about walking guys before pitching to him.

2. He is highly liked and respected in the Yankee club house. People complain when Jason comes back he might "screw up the chemistry". Hardworking team players like Giambi dont mess up chemistry. A**holes like Sheff and Randy Johnson do that. Giambi is well liked and works hard.

3. Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but more talent is better than less talent right? So maybe he doesnt play every day. And maybe he has to play off the bench sometimes, PHing. Any team could use a guy like Giambi on their bench. When it comes down to it, the more talent we have and the deeper our bench is the better.

I am very excited for Giambi's return. If used wisely, he only makes the Yankees better.

Bernie Inferno
07-25-07, 03:38 PM
Full no trade clause, ridiculous contract, no fielding position, its basically impossible
True, I forgot about the full NTC.

Nicky_Mantle
07-25-07, 03:40 PM

Sorry to bust your bubble. Even if we could move him, he woudlnt waive his NTC anyway. Giambi is here to stay.

dont_ya_know24
07-25-07, 03:47 PM
damon- 1b/dh
melk- cf
giambi- dh/1b

please joe.

Pags13
07-25-07, 03:50 PM
People....
Respect the Giambino. He catches a lot of grief around here. I know he has deteriorated into a .250 hitting, swinging for the fences, home-run-or-bust, kind of player and he is a let down to all of our expectations of what he might have become as a Yankee, but consider these things:

1. HES AN ON-BASE PERCENTAGE MACHINE. Dude lead the league in walks last year. He has the best eye on our team. Batting him provides protection to other players. Picthers think twice about walking guys before pitching to him.

2. He is highly liked and respected in the Yankee club house. People complain when Jason comes back he might "screw up the chemistry". Hardworking team players like Giambi dont mess up chemistry. A**holes like Sheff and Randy Johnson do that. Giambi is well liked and works hard.

3. Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but more talent is better than less talent right? So maybe he doesnt play every day. And maybe he has to play off the bench sometimes, PHing. Any team could use a guy like Giambi on their bench. When it comes down to it, the more talent we have and the deeper our bench is the better.

I am very excited for Giambi's return. If used wisely, he only makes the Yankees better.

I agree with this. The Yanks have been feasting on some really marginal pitching over the last couple weeks. So, while it's been great to see Phillips, Cabrera, and Duncan killing the ball of late, you have to consider the AAA pitching they've been facing.

When the Yanks are up against the top guys from Boston and Detroit, I think Giambi will be a valuable asset to the line-up.

I Heart Jeter
07-25-07, 03:53 PM
I agree with this. The Yanks have been feasting on some really marginal pitching over the last couple weeks. So, while it's been great to see Phillips, Cabrera, and Duncan killing the ball of late, you have to consider the AAA pitching they've been facing.

When the Yanks are up against the top guys from Boston and Detroit, I think Giambi will be a valuable asset to the line-up.

Agreed. Assuming that he is healthy, Giambi's presence in the line-up can only help.
I'd sit him against lefties though.

gandiacm
07-25-07, 04:06 PM
I don't get it, how would anyone say that the Yankees would be better off without Giambi on the team? If he is healthy then he is one of the better hitters in the league, if not fully healthy, he provides some pop and walks... any way you look at it he is going to help the Yanks out... I am stoked for his return...

justinvarnes
07-25-07, 05:09 PM
People....

Well said.

As I mentioned earlier he was hitting 326 with a .950 OPS a week AFTER he injured himself.

Exclude the BA and assume he will more like .280 and you still have a .400 OBP .850 OPS guy batting 7th!!

Damon L
Jeter R
Abreu L
A-Rod R
Matsui L
Posada S
Giambi L
Cano L
Phillips R

The Q Bomb
07-25-07, 05:43 PM
People....

Good points BUT:

Giambi's on-base percentage could hurt us. Unless he gets on and off quickly (i.e. a homerun) he clogs up the basepaths. While the line-up could use another power bat, the versality it has right now is a plus and if they make the playoffs (which is not a given by any means) it will be a necessity.
Giambi is well liked (I don't know about respected) in the clubhouse but so are the two guys who would be left in the cold when he returns (Phillips and Cabrera). While those guys don't have the seniority that Giambi does, we are talking chemistry here not fairness.
More talent, just like more of anything except money (jewelry, food, etc.), is not necessarily a good thing. A lot of talent is better than not enough talent but it is more important to have a cohesive team that functions smoothly together than a team crammed full of talent players who don't complement each others' skills. (If you have two beautiful gold bracelets you are better off getting a small delicate one to add to your arm than another big beautiful one which would turn the look into gaudy; that's just the way it is.)I like Giambi and I know what he can do when healthy but unfortunately The Yanks have two young players performing very well and one (Melky) who is (or should be) being groomed to become an every day centerfielder and good offensive contributor. It would be best if Giambi could be turned into an effective pinch hitter/DH/first baseman - something like the role many of us envisioned for Bernie. I know it's hard to pay a guy $21 million to fill that role but - "Them's the breaks!" (It could be worse - what are we paying Pavano for his three year "rehab"?)

RIyankee
07-25-07, 05:43 PM
Bottom Line: Giambi needs to get his power stroke back. A .436 SLG (combined with the fact he can't field and needs to be timed with a sundial) makes him a liability.

Big Game Andy
07-25-07, 05:44 PM
Good points BUT:

Giambi's on-base percentage could hurt us. Unless he gets on and off quickly (i.e. a homerun) he clogs up the basepaths.Dusty, is that you?

Abe Frohman
07-25-07, 05:53 PM
i say Giambi will take over 1b till about the seventh like they used to before... then joe will stick phillips in their if we have the lead... id take the decrease in glove for that type of boost in bat...if he is 100 % the lineup will be pretty nasty... but u guys r right about the clog... i like the way the team has been running the bases lately... we'll juss have to see i guess.

Pags13
07-25-07, 05:58 PM
Good points BUT:

Giambi's on-base percentage could hurt us. Unless he gets on and off quickly (i.e. a homerun) he clogs up the basepaths. While the line-up could use another power bat, the versality it has right now is a plus and if they make the playoffs (which is not a given by any means) it will be a necessity.
Giambi is well liked (I don't know about respected) in the clubhouse but so are the two guys who would be left in the cold when he returns (Phillips and Cabrera). While those guys don't have the seniority that Giambi does, we are talking chemistry here not fairness.
More talent, just like more of anything except money (jewelry, food, etc.), is not necessarily a good thing. A lot of talent is better than not enough talent but it is more important to have a cohesive team that functions smoothly together than a team crammed full of talent players who don't complement each others' skills. (If you have two beautiful gold bracelets you are better off getting a small delicate one to add to your arm than another big beautiful one which would turn the look into gaudy; that's just the way it is.)

Not sure that I buy any of these points...

1. How is Giambi clogging up the basepaths? Do you think it's better to have no one on base than have a slow runner at first? I don't see anyone complaining about Posada clogging up the bases.
2. Phillips and Cabrera are still useful pieces to this team, but a healthy Giambi is capable of putting up numbers that Phillips and Cabrera could never hope to obtain. Obviously, if Giambi is still hampered by his injury or unable to get his swing back, there's a solid argument for playing guys who bring something else to the table (speed or defense). However, I can't imagine the Yanks not giving Giambi the chance to prove himself.
3. This just doesn't make sense to me. Are you saying that you need to compliment good players with mediocre players? Is it somehow a problem to have 9 excellent hitters in your line-up? Are we concerned that Giambi being in the line-up is going to drag down ARod and Matsui because their excellent hitting is not complimented by Giambi's excellent hitting?

Not trying to be a jerk here, but I hear these arguments in the media all the time and they just don't make sense to me. While I understand that you problably won't win with 9 Jason Giambi's in the line-up, I don't see how one Giambi swinging the bat is going to prevent us from beating up on the DRays and Royals...

In Mo I Trust
07-25-07, 06:01 PM
As long as Jason is healthy, he'll be a big help.

destiNY
07-25-07, 06:06 PM
Well said.

As I mentioned earlier he was hitting 326 with a .950 OPS a week AFTER he injured himself.

Exclude the BA and assume he will more like .280 and you still have a .400 OBP .850 OPS guy batting 7th!!

Damon L
Jeter R
Abreu L
A-Rod R
Matsui L
Posada S
Giambi L
Cano L
Phillips R

I think its more important that Melky play CF than Phillips at first > Who thinks is an important position to have a better defensive player? Obviously when Wang pitches Phillips would start but other than that...

-Melky plays CF and Damon DH, Giambi 1B, Phillips defensive replacement

If Abreu hits another wall then Melky plays RF, Damon CF and Giambi DH (hits 3rd), and Phillips plays 1B.

Me
07-25-07, 06:21 PM
Put some grease on 1B - problem solved. :evil:

rca1230
07-25-07, 06:24 PM
lol

Giambi clogs up the basepaths?

is there such a thing?

what a joke

SINCE77 2
07-25-07, 06:27 PM
Not sure that I buy any of these points...

1. How is Giambi clogging up the basepaths? Do you think it's better to have no one on base than have a slow runner at first? I don't see anyone complaining about Posada clogging up the bases.
2. Phillips and Cabrera are still useful pieces to this team, but a healthy Giambi is capable of putting up numbers that Phillips and Cabrera could never hope to obtain. Obviously, if Giambi is still hampered by his injury or unable to get his swing back, there's a solid argument for playing guys who bring something else to the table (speed or defense). However, I can't imagine the Yanks not giving Giambi the chance to prove himself.
3. This just doesn't make sense to me. Are you saying that you need to compliment good players with mediocre players? Is it somehow a problem to have 9 excellent hitters in your line-up? Are we concerned that Giambi being in the line-up is going to drag down ARod and Matsui because their excellent hitting is not complimented by Giambi's excellent hitting?

Not trying to be a jerk here, but I hear these arguments in the media all the time and they just don't make sense to me. While I understand that you problably won't win with 9 Jason Giambi's in the line-up, I don't see how one Giambi swinging the bat is going to prevent us from beating up on the DRays and Royals...

Giambi is no longer an excellent hitter. You are living in the past. He is a competent slugger whose good eye will allow him to reach base vs pitchers lacking control. I see his impact being marginal at best and due to the defensive downgrade in CF his return may even be detrimental. So yes, he will help us vs the D'Rays and Royals, but not so much against the better teams in baseball who have pitchers that hit their spots, throw strikes, and can easily stay out of his power zone.

goin for 27
07-25-07, 06:37 PM
Giambi is no longer an excellent hitter. You are living in the past. He is a competent slugger whose good eye will allow him to reach base vs pitchers lacking control. I see his impact being marginal at best and due to the defensive downgrade in CF his return may even be detrimental. So yes, he will help us vs the D'Rays and Royals, but not so much against the better teams in baseball who have pitchers that hit their spots, throw strikes, and can easily stay out of his power zone.

That's ridiculous. He was battling injuries for much of this season and still put up an OPS+ of 121.

So, injured, he was 5th on the team behind Rodriguez, Posada, Jeter and Matsui. Again, injured.

Healthy? Look at April... - .322/.404/.517/.921

If Giambi comes back, AND is healthy, he IS an excellent hitter.

SINCE77 2
07-25-07, 06:51 PM
That's ridiculous. He was battling injuries for much of this season and still put up an OPS+ of 121.

So, injured, he was 5th on the team behind Rodriguez, Posada, Jeter and Matsui. Again, injured.

Healthy? Look at April... - .322/.404/.517/.921

If Giambi comes back, AND is healthy, he IS an excellent hitter.

You are incorrect. He is a competent slugger with a good eye and nothing more. An excellent hitter combines power with versatility. They use the entire ballpark when hitting, not just RF. They adjust when they have two strikes against them. Giambi was at one time one of the most feared hitters in baseball because he embodied these traits. Not any longer.

buntsalot2
07-25-07, 06:57 PM
You are incorrect. He is a competent slugger with a good eye and nothing more. An excellent hitter combines power with versatility. They use the entire ballpark when hitting, not just RF. They adjust when they have two strikes against them. Giambi was at one time one of the most feared hitters in baseball because he embodied these traits. Not any longer.

good call.

at this crazy moment of this season, whom is he going to replace??? Cairo???

Yankeesfan811
07-25-07, 07:50 PM
i would love to have a healthy Jason Giambi back in the lineup....

the one who hits above .250.....

NYYFAN
07-25-07, 08:40 PM
The way the team is playing they should let Giambi heal for a long as possible...say Nov 2008 :D

TheBamTino24
07-25-07, 08:45 PM
We went through a similar situation last year when Gary Sheffield and Hideki Matsui returned.

Here's hoping for different results if Jason Giambi returns to the lineup.

Huktonfonix
07-25-07, 09:04 PM
Good points BUT:

More talent, just like more of anything except money (jewelry, food, etc.), is not necessarily a good thing. A lot of talent is better than not enough talent but it is more important to have a cohesive team that functions smoothly together than a team crammed full of talent players who don't complement each others' skills. (If you have two beautiful gold bracelets you are better off getting a small delicate one to add to your arm than another big beautiful one which would turn the look into gaudy; that's just the way it is.)I like Giambi and I know what he can do when healthy but unfortunately The Yanks have two young players performing very well and one (Melky) who is (or should be) being groomed to become an every day centerfielder and good offensive contributor. It would be best if Giambi could be turned into an effective pinch hitter/DH/first baseman - something like the role many of us envisioned for Bernie. I know it's hard to pay a guy $21 million to fill that role but - "Them's the breaks!" (It could be worse - what are we paying Pavano for his three year "rehab"?)

You're being sarcastic, right?

Please say yes.

-tz
07-25-07, 10:26 PM
So ... what's the latest news on Giambi? :confused:

Did someone already post that he begins a rehab assignment Friday?

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070725&content_id=2109347&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

apalradio
07-25-07, 10:46 PM
i would love to have a healthy Jason Giambi back in the lineup....

the one who hits above .250.....That guy retired several years ago. The guy who wears Giambi's uniform today is a .250 hitter.

gregzzy22
07-25-07, 11:10 PM
I dont know. I'd love for him to share the dh spot with damon but if those guys are up here they will not be sitting, either one of them. Melky in the field is just a must imo because he solidifies the entire defense and even if its not andy phillips, whoever is at first has to have an above average glove. you think arod would be having the year in the field that hes having with Giambi receiving throws?

CyYoung4Vazquez
07-25-07, 11:11 PM
We're trading him to the Rangers for Tex....along with Farnsworth

-tz
07-27-07, 10:34 PM
Jason Giambi’s rehab for Class A Tampa at Fort Myers was rained out. http://yankees.lohudblogs.com/2007/07/27/game-102-yankees-at-orioles/

gregzzy22
07-29-07, 12:08 AM
The latest on Giambi..

Designated hitter Jason Giambi (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/g/jason_giambi/index.html?inline=nyt-per) (plantar fasciitis) went 0 for 2 with two walks in the first game of his rehabilitation assignment for Class A Tampa. It was Giambi’s first game action in two months. ... The right-hander Ian Kennedy, the Yankees’ No. 1 draft pick last summer, made his debut for Class AAA Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on Saturday, allowing two hits in six shutout innings against Rochester. ... Joe Torre is not counting on the Yankees acquiring bullpen help before Tuesday’s trading deadline. “You can’t discount the help we might get from within the organization,” Torre said. “I don’t think it’s the worst thing that can happen by not making a deal for a reliever.”

Nick71
07-29-07, 12:14 AM

I don't see what Jason Giambi circa 2000 has to do with this argument, but ok.

You're using round-about semantics to try and prove your point, and it doesn't work. Why should it matter whether he hits to all fields if the end result is still someone with an awesome OBP and a good overall OPS. I also enjoy how you throw "competent slugger (more like very good slugger) with a good eye (more like terrific eye)" around as if it were nothing.

Giambi, past two seasons, has had .971 and .975 OPS' respectively. Please don't try to argue that he isn't a good hitter.

-tz
07-29-07, 11:31 AM
Giambi also played in the second game of that double header.

Jason Giambi was 1 for 5 with a double, an RBI, two walks and three strikeouts in a doubleheader for Class A Tampa against Fort Myers. They were his first minor-league rehab gameshttp://www.nyjournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070729/SPORTS01/707290374/1035/SPORTS

http://yankees.lohudblogs.com/files/2007/07/1033.jpeg

Giambi was set to start the minor league rehab assignment Friday, but Tampa's game at Fort Myers was rained out. He went 0-for-2 with two walks in Saturday's opener before collecting a double and an RBI in three at-bats in the nightcap.

He planned to have his status re-evaluated Sunday, and hopes to rejoin the Yankees in early August. http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=247139

CallOfTheCrow
07-29-07, 11:32 AM
wow 3 Ks.

-tz
07-30-07, 08:41 PM
Giambi's in another rehab game in Florida tonight ... so far he's struck out, popped up and struck out. Game still in progress.

SINCE77 2
07-30-07, 09:52 PM
I don't see what Jason Giambi circa 2000 has to do with this argument, but ok.

You're using round-about semantics to try and prove your point, and it doesn't work. Why should it matter whether he hits to all fields if the end result is still someone with an awesome OBP and a good overall OPS. I also enjoy how you throw "competent slugger (more like very good slugger) with a good eye (more like terrific eye)" around as if it were nothing.

Giambi, past two seasons, has had .971 and .975 OPS' respectively. Please don't try to argue that he isn't a good hitter.

The poster that I responded to claimed that Giambi was an excellent hitter. I disagreed and gave my reasoning along with a brief desciption of what an"excellent" hitter is. You think he's great? Well your entitled to your opinion. I think he worth about as much as Matt Stairs and that should be his role when he returns.

Gator's Shadow
07-30-07, 11:57 PM
The poster that I responded to claimed that Giambi was an excellent hitter. I disagreed and gave my reasoning along with a brief desciption of what an"excellent" hitter is. You think he's great? Well your entitled to your opinion. I think he worth about as much as Matt Stairs and that should be his role when he returns.

Matt Stairs had OPS averaging 970 over the past two seasons? Wow, that is news to me.:uhh: Look, if your point is that Giambi is not what he was in 1999-2000, fine. Don't resort to nonsense and then cloak it as "reasoning" to try to over-prove your point.

A healthy Giambi may not be all-star caliber, but he is a better DH than a banged up Damon (at least some of the time) and a better PH option than Miguel Cairo. I am not overly concerned that his return is going to make a significant dent in Mekly or Andy's playing time.

-tz
07-31-07, 09:37 AM
Giambi's in another rehab game in Florida tonight ... so far he's struck out, popped up and struck out. Game still in progress. He must have had two hits in his last two ABs ...

Note: Jason Giambi played his third rehab game for Single-A Tampa. He was 2 for 5 with two strikeouts in a game at Sarasota.http://www.nyjournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070731/SPORTS01/707310384/1034/SPORTS

-tz
08-02-07, 01:02 AM
08/01/2007 7:52 PM ET
Notes: Giambi's return draws near
Slugger expected back in the Bronx within a week
By Bryan Hoch / MLB.com

NEW YORK -- Jason Giambi has progressed to where the Yankees conceivably expect him in the big leagues within a week. Exactly where he'll play is another matter.

The 36-year-old slugger has been moving forward from a left foot injury, completing a rehabilitation assignment with Class A Tampa. The Yankees tentatively plan to move Giambi north to join Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on Friday, which could soon create a roster crunch at the Major League level.

"It's going to be a problem, but it's a nice problem," said Yankees manager Joe Torre. "It's a nice problem to have more ability than you can play on a regular basis." http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070801&content_id=2123211&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

AlongCameAPrincess
08-02-07, 01:57 AM
The day he comesback, I'm SO throwing a party! :D

-tz
08-02-07, 02:10 AM
Who ya throwng it at, ACAP? ;)

ThunderFan
08-02-07, 02:51 AM
I still don't know why he was pinch hit for in the first inning tonight.

Yankees1962
08-02-07, 05:31 AM
I still don't know why he was pinch hit for in the first inning tonight.
Didn't want him to play on wet grounds. Coming up to Scranton to play in a DH tomorrow.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/02/sports/baseball/02pins.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

ajra21
08-02-07, 08:20 AM
We went through a similar situation last year when Gary Sheffield and Hideki Matsui returned.

Here's hoping for different results if Jason Giambi returns to the lineup.

totally agree. don't want a repeat.

C-BUS CLIPPER
08-02-07, 08:26 AM
Great to hear hes getting healthy......but if his return screws with the way this team has been clicking together, Im going to be pissed.

The Q Bomb
08-02-07, 08:32 AM
Salary aside, Giambi should be used in the role Bernie played late last season - pinch hitter; DH relief; etc. You cannot take Melky out of the line-up (have you noticed how even though he only got one hit last night and the night before all his outs were real well hit balls?) - his defense is critical. You can alternate DH duties between Giambi and Damon and plug you ears against Damon's whining. IF The Yankees were in a different position - we could really rest the likes of Matsui, Damon, Giambi himself, etc., but being 7 games out of first place and behind in the Wild Card race - that is a luxury we can't afford.

JeffWeaverFan
08-02-07, 08:36 AM
totally agree. don't want a repeat.
This year he'll hopefully just be replacing Damon as the DH, which should be a positive.

edit: And unlike last year, we still need a major push to make the playoffs. Getting a productive Giambi in the lineup would really help that.

ThunderFan
08-02-07, 10:57 AM
I can't believe there are people on this board that want to have one of the best hitters of the last decade come off the bench. Giambi is SO underrated among yankee fans...

Prospect62
08-02-07, 12:31 PM

I've been waiting for someone else to say this. You'll notice when everyone speculates about his return they use the caveat "a HEALTHY Giambi can _________" or "Giambi could be _________".

I just don't think he's his old self (even his old self with the Bombers was mediocre). His impact will be marginal, at best.

ZIM 2002
08-02-07, 12:54 PM
If Damon is hitting, I think his being on base and his speed gives us more than Giambi with his walks, strikeouts and some home runs. I am also concerned about Giambi's strikeouts in single A rehabs - is he really ready for major league timing?

NHYank
08-02-07, 05:21 PM
[quote=ZIM 2002]If Damon is hitting, I think his being on base and his speed gives us more than Giambi with his walks, strikeouts and some home runs. I am also concerned about Giambi's strikeouts in single A rehabs - is he really ready for major league timing?

I have to agree.. I am also concerned about a similar situation last year when Sheffield came back, played and stunk it up.

The Q Bomb
08-02-07, 07:37 PM
Has Giambi been striking out a lot in his rehab assignments? Whatever they do once he gets here - The Yankees need to taaaaaake their tiiiiiiiiime bringing him back. Make sure he's compleeeeetly healed. Don't rush, Jason.

teknetic
08-02-07, 08:34 PM
I just don't think he's his old self (even his old self with the Bombers was mediocre). His impact will be marginal, at best.

1.034 .939 .975 .971 OPS in 2002/2003/2005/2006, or the fact he put up very good numbers in April prior to his foot acting up. Marginal impact? :lol:

-tz
08-02-07, 08:35 PM
'Big G' on the way: Giambi did not bat on Tuesday as his Tampa Yankees were rained out at Sarasota, Fla., but that is not expected to set the 36-year-old back as he projects to join Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on Friday.

Giambi will play first base at Triple-A to provide the Yankees with an idea of his flexibility and mobility as he returns from a torn left plantar fascia, suffered May 30 while running out a home run at Toronto's Rogers Centre. It remains possible that Giambi could join the team in Toronto next week, though Torre noted Monday would be unlikely because of the scheduled afternoon start.

"Whenever they say he's ready, we'll certainly plug him in," Torre said. http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070802&content_id=2125303&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

AlongCameAPrincess
08-03-07, 12:37 AM
Who ya throwng it at, ACAP? ;)

To whoevers DHing that day. :D

Nahhh. :lol: But I really miss him coming up, when it feels like he's going to hit it out every.single.time.

Allan
08-03-07, 11:02 PM
I can't believe there are people on this board that want to have one of the best hitters of the last decade come off the bench. Giambi is SO underrated among yankee fans...
Well here's one fan who believes he has it in him to lead the Yankees into the post season. Of course I add the caveat if his health issues are resolved.

dabomb2045
08-03-07, 11:06 PM
Giambi actually played 1B in the 2nd game of Scranton's DH tonight....he was the DH in Game 1.

I find that interesting. I guess Giambi might indeed get some time at 1B when he returns.

-tz
08-03-07, 11:54 PM
In his first game at SWB today, Giambi was one for two ... the one was a home run in his first at bat ... with two walks.

In the second game of the double header, he started at first base (as noted above) and went 0 for 1 with two walks.

So over all, for the mathematically challenged (;)), that is 1 for 3 with FOUR walks.

YankeePride1967
08-04-07, 12:22 AM
Any word yet on whether or not Bud will fine/suspend Giambi for the steroid stuff?

TheYankee
08-04-07, 12:30 AM
It will be nice to have Big G back, but I like that they are taking it slow. No reason to rush things when Duncan has been filling in admirably.

So, when Giambi comes up sometime next week, is it Cairo that gets the heave ho?

dont_ya_know24
08-04-07, 12:45 AM
It will be nice to have Big G back, but I like that they are taking it slow. No reason to rush things when Duncan has been filling in admirably.

So, when Giambi comes up sometime next week, is it Cairo that gets the heave ho?

it would be duncan.

dabomb2045
08-04-07, 01:14 AM

It should be Cairo. There isnt one reason to keep Cairo on this roster with Betemit here. Its a waste of a roster spot. Duncan deserves to stay with the team. He's earned it and he can help this team more then Cairo can.

-tz
08-04-07, 11:11 AM
More on Giambi's Triple A starts, from the AP via Abraham's blog (http://yankees.lohudblogs.com/2007/08/04/giambi-homers-for-scranton/):

Jason Giambi homered in his first at-bat of a rehab start for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on Friday night, going 1-for-3 with four walks and a strikeout in a doubleheader against Buffalo.

Giambi, recovering from a left foot injury, was the designated hitter in Game 1. He hit a 2-2 pitch over the left-center field fence in the first inning for a solo homer.

He started at first base in the second game and finished with three putouts and an assist before being removed for a pinch runner in the sixth inning.

Giambi was reevaluated after Friday’s games, and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre manager Dave Miley said Giambi will be the designated hitter in Saturday’s game and, assuming his foot feels fine, play first base on Sunday.

“Since I got down there in A ball, I’ve been trying to make solid contact and try to take as many pitches as I possibly can,” Giambi said. “It’s all starting to come together. I’m seeing the ball and slowing the game down a little bit and just keep taking the good ABs.”

Before the game, Giambi said his foot feels good and that he he’s close to joining the Yankees.

“Everything was great,” Giambi said. “I’ve been working my way back and it healed a lot faster than everybody thought, so everything is going great and I’m excited to get that opportunity.”

TEPLimey
08-04-07, 11:23 AM
Maybe its just me, but I think a rotation between Matsui, Phillips, Giambi, Damon, Melky, and Abreu seems about right, with each guy getting one day off every 6 days. This will serve to keep each of them fresh, give them the necessary work, and (hopefully) keep our defense at its best.

Giambi can play 1B on the day Phillips sits.
Melky can play all outfield positions, so he can take over for Damon, Matsui, and Abreu once a week each.
When Giambi sits, have Damon/Matsui DH with Melky in CF/LF.

This way each guy plays 5 of every 6 games.

parkerstrong
08-04-07, 11:29 AM
Cairo needs to go before Duncan...and Duncan doesn't have options to the minor leagues so he will stay. Betemit took Cairo's job.

Giambi playing 1B keeps Damon in the lineup so Melky can play CF. I feel Giambi is an injury waiting to happen at any point, so Giambi playing 1B would increase his injury chances. I hope Giambi can play 1B so Damon doesn't bitch and moan. Phillips would take a seat and not cause a problem.

whalers
08-04-07, 11:31 AM
Maybe its just me, but I think a rotation between Matsui, Phillips, Giambi, Damon, Melky, and Abreu seems about right, with each guy getting one day off every 6 days. This will serve to keep each of them fresh, give them the necessary work, and (hopefully) keep our defense at its best.

Giambi can play 1B on the day Phillips sits.
Melky can play all outfield positions, so he can take over for Damon, Matsui, and Abreu once a week each.
When Giambi sits, have Damon/Matsui DH with Melky in CF/LF.

This way each guy plays 5 of every 6 games.

I think you are on to something here.

Got Melky
08-04-07, 11:31 AM
Giambi went yard last night in AAA.

-tz
08-04-07, 11:40 AM
Cairo needs to go before Duncan...and Duncan doesn't have options to the minor leagues so he will stay.Doesn't Duncan have options? He just made his Major League debut! :confused:

-tz
08-04-07, 11:41 AM
Giambi went yard last night in AAA.See Posts # 102 and 107 in this thread. ;)

the_coach
08-04-07, 11:41 AM
Giambi went yard last night in AAA.

Interesting that it was to left-center field.