PDA

View Full Version : Going to Baltimore in July...

PeteRFNY
06-11-07, 11:53 AM
I know lots of my fellow Forumers have been to Camden Yards on many occasions, but this will be my first trip! We have a caravan of 11 or 12 people heading down for the Saturday night game on 7/28, and the Mrs. and I will be staying for the Sunday afternoon game on 7/29.

I'm hoping to get there early on Saturday (you know how things work when you're doing something with a bunch of other people) so we can have a look around the ballpark, I know it's a real gem and I'm pretty stoked.

My question for y'all is: I want to hit a REAL, authentic place that makes EXCELLENT, delightful, mouthwatering crabcakes??? I'm talking authentic Maryland crabcakes here. I don't mind if it's a tad touristy as long as it's not a ripoff (I saw one place online charging $25 for crabcakes...give me a break!).

Beer and turf as well as surf also a welcome commodity.

Any tips would be most welcome! :)

BRNXBMRS
06-11-07, 11:59 AM
I will also be at that game, I am heading down on that Friday night.

4bronxbombers
06-11-07, 12:11 PM
Wow...I'm going to that game too! I can't wait. I think I'm driving. Had a helluva time with my hotel. I wanted to stay at the Marriott Inner Harbor where I usually stay but both were booked.

4bronxbombers
06-11-07, 12:12 PM
This is the place that everyone raves about. I've had one great crab meal there and one that wasn't so hot. Check it out.

http://www.obryckis.com/

yankeebot
06-11-07, 12:19 PM
I'm down that weekend too. For crabcakes, the best are at G&M Restaurant in Linthicum which is where we stay. Lump crab cakes with very little filler broiled not fried. If anyone tells you they're overrated, I contend that they don't know a great crabcake when they taste one. In the Inner Harber, Phillips has some good ones. Again, lots of crab very little fill. That may be the $25 place you were referring but that's the full dinner. At lunch, it's about half.

4bronxbombers
06-11-07, 12:20 PM
I'm down that weekend too. For crabcakes, the best are at G&M Restaurant in Linthicum which is where we stay. Lump crab cakes with very little filler broiled not fried. If anyone tells you they're overrated, I contend that they don't know a great crabcake when they taste one. In the Inner Harber, Phillips has some good ones. Again, lots of crab very little fill. That may be the $25 place you were referring but that's the full dinner. At lunch, it's about half.

Someone I met last month when I was there told me about a great place in Canton.....of course, I can't remember the name though.

YASS
06-11-07, 01:49 PM
If you're going to Baltimore, forget crab cakes. Over near the old ballpark on 33rd, there are a bundle of great places to get a real Baltimore specialty -- a Polish sausage.

Crab cakes are much too dainty for hard-workin' Balmer. :)

LDG
06-11-07, 06:24 PM
I was at Obrycki's in March and I was kind of underwhelmed. I didn't actually order the crabcakes but someone at our table did. They looked really good and I had a little bite, but I wouldn't have said it was the best crabcake I ever had.

The Rusty Scupper and Phillips on the Inner Harbor are both good and it's a nice walk around the boats. At night the area is nicely lit so if the weather is good, I'd say that's a safe bet.

I, too have heard that G&M in Linthicum is THE place for crabcakes in Maryland. www.gandmrestaurant.com (http://www.gandmrestaurant.com)

Have a great time! You'll love Camden Yards - it's a beautiful stadium.

drjeckyl
06-11-07, 06:46 PM
We're going Friday night too! I can't recommend (I don't eat fish) a crabcake place, but MCCORMICK & SCHMICK on the inner harbor has the best chicken soup! It's was the best, I tell ya!!. It was so good, I had some before the game and I had to be back afterwards to have some more.

This is my second year going and this time, we are staying at the Mariott and will spend a couple of days to take in some of the other attractions. But, Camden Yards is a great place to see a ball game. Part of the attraction is that so many Yankee fans go, it's like going to a weekend party with all of your best friends!!

Messerwhitescooter
06-11-07, 07:39 PM
My nominee for the single best crab dish in Baltimore, if not the Western Hemisphere, is the jumbo lump crab cake at Faidley's Seafood in the Lexington Market, which was founded in 1782 and refurbished only recently. (R. W. Apple, late travel and food writer for the New York Times, wrote that sentence about 5 years ago.)

I would also recommend the tavern Henninger's which is in the Fells Point neighborhood, a cool place with tons of bars and restaurants. (a short cab ride from Camden Yards.)

ojo
06-11-07, 07:58 PM
Someone I met last month when I was there told me about a great place in Canton.....of course, I can't remember the name though.

more than likely that would've been mama's on the half shell.

stay away from phillips and the tourist traps. come to fells. come further east to canton. you'll have yourself a blast.

ojo
06-11-07, 07:59 PM
My nominee for the single best crab dish in Baltimore, if not the Western Hemisphere, is the jumbo lump crab cake at Faidley's Seafood in the Lexington Market, which was founded in 1782 and refurbished only recently. (R. W. Apple, late travel and food writer for the New York Times, wrote that sentence about 5 years ago.)

I would also recommend the tavern Henninger's which is in the Fells Point neighborhood, a cool place with tons of bars and restaurants. (a short cab ride from Camden Yards.)

lexington market has several jewels.

but it's not a good idea to venture up there. tourists can be targeted and let's call it like it is - that's not the safest area.

PeteRFNY
06-12-07, 09:54 AM
That G&M place looks interesting (we have some NON-seafood people in the group, so everyone will be happy)...prices are not TOO insane, nice selection.

We're gonna be there for the weekend, so I'll try and sample a few different places!

We had seen The Rusty Scupper the last time we were in Baltimore, but didn't make it in. The place looks like the Krusty Krab! Might good for pre-game lunch, too.

Thanks all - keep the suggestions coming!
Pete

destelle
06-12-07, 11:20 AM
I was at Obrycki's in March and I was kind of underwhelmed. I didn't actually order the crabcakes but someone at our table did. They looked really good and I had a little bite, but I wouldn't have said it was the best crabcake I ever had.

From what others have told me (and our experiences), you should just go to Obryckis for crabs.
We go every year, and sit down and order a pitcher of beer, a platter of crabs and perhaps a side or two. Have never been disappointed (except the year that they were out of crabs :( ).
We already made our reservation for September...

Good luck with the crabcake hunt and have a good time (Pete)!

4bronxbombers
06-12-07, 11:22 AM
We're going Friday night too! I can't recommend (I don't eat fish) a crabcake place, but MCCORMICK & SCHMICK on the inner harbor has the best chicken soup! It's was the best, I tell ya!!. It was so good, I had some before the game and I had to be back afterwards to have some more.

This is my second year going and this time, we are staying at the Mariott and will spend a couple of days to take in some of the other attractions. But, Camden Yards is a great place to see a ball game. Part of the attraction is that so many Yankee fans go, it's like going to a weekend party with all of your best friends!!

Oh wow....I fogot about McCormick & Schmick. Might try that.

4bronxbombers
06-12-07, 11:23 AM

stay away from phillips and the tourist traps. come to fells. come further east to canton. you'll have yourself a blast.

HA....yep. Mama's on the Half Shell is the one she told me about. :)

4bronxbombers
06-12-07, 11:24 AM

I liked the bar at Phillips. ;)

ojo
06-12-07, 01:53 PM
Tourist!:D

4bronxbombers
06-12-07, 01:55 PM
Tourist!:D

:P...

stephsamps
06-12-07, 03:07 PM
Oh wow....I fogot about McCormick & Schmick. Might try that.

Mc & Schmick is a client... keep the mentions coming guys ;).

But in all seriousness, you can get them up here in NYC. I would recommend a night out in Little Italy as well as a crab cake, if you are going to be there for the weekend. I love Veleggia's (sp) and Due Amici's. Vacarro's is great for pastry. As for the crabs I am not your best person to ask, when I lived down there I didn't eat em. But I do know the last time I ate a crab cake at Phillips, it didn't end pretty! You are probably better of elswhere.

yankswn23
06-15-07, 07:53 AM
Wow...I'm going to that game too! I can't wait. I think I'm driving. Had a helluva time with my hotel. I wanted to stay at the Marriott Inner Harbor where I usually stay but both were booked.

Yeah me too, I was gonna try and stay where the yanks are staying but I don't know the name of the hotel, any ideas?

yankswn23
06-15-07, 07:57 AM
If we are all going up there we should meet before the game at espn zone for some food and drink.. Ill be going by myself for all three games, I just got a ticket in the boxes behind the dugout for the june 26th game..

yankeebot
06-15-07, 11:35 AM
Yeah me too, I was gonna try and stay where the yanks are staying but I don't know the name of the hotel, any ideas? In the past I believe they've stayed at The Renaissance but it books way in advance and is pretty $$$ as well.

yankswn23
06-15-07, 01:06 PM
In the past I believe they've stayed at The Renaissance but it books way in advance and is pretty $$$ as well.

Ok so who is down after the game to travel to some hotels and find some players.. ;)

yankswn23
06-15-07, 02:30 PM
If we are all going up there we should meet before the game at espn zone for some food and drink.. Ill be going by myself for all three games, I just got a ticket in the boxes behind the dugout for the june 26th game..

Just got one behind home plate for the 27th and another box behind the dugout for the 28th..

yankswn23
06-15-07, 02:31 PM
In the past I believe they've stayed at The Renaissance but it books way in advance and is pretty $$$ as well.

Well im living in delaware so its only an hr away..

Fosky
06-18-07, 09:06 PM
So, my Dad and I have tickets to the Friday and Sunday games. He normally just stays with me since I currently live in NoVa, but I just sold my condo today (YEAH!!!) and close on July 18th, so now we'll be needing a hotel.

Anyone have any good suggestions? Any places that you really like, or horror stories to avoid at all costs?

I'd like some place that's not going to be too far from the Camden Yards, but it doesn't need to be right there. Mom is coming with us, but not too the games so I need a hotel that's decently close to something to keep her occupied. Shops, food, museums, etc. Obviously the Inner Harbor would be nice, but really all I know about Baltimore is how to get to the stadium and then back to I-95. Other than that I'm totally clueless.

4bronxbombers
06-18-07, 09:10 PM
I can only tell you that the place is booked (Inner Harbor) toward the end of July. There's a convention and the Yanks are in town. I ended up settling for a hotel by the airport but I really wanted to stay where I usually stay when I'm there (at the Inner Harbor).

I'd book asap. Just sayin'

Fosky
06-18-07, 09:22 PM
Thats good advice. The Marriot Inner Harbor is showing up as available (at a ridiculous price) so maybe I should just go ahead and book it. Can always cancel. :-)

4bronxbombers
06-18-07, 09:26 PM
Thats good advice. The Marriot Inner Harbor is showing up as available (at a ridiculous price) so maybe I should just go ahead and book it. Can always cancel. :-)

I booked it for the week of July 19th and it was something like $250 which I was ok with (a little high) but then I realized that I had the wrong week....called the next day to book for the next week and the rooms were something like $350 or more. So that's why I'm staying near the airport. It pisses me off that they can get away with that crap. :( :mad:

Fosky
06-18-07, 09:33 PM
I booked it for the week of July 19th and it was something like $250 which I was ok with (a little high) but then I realized that I had the wrong week....called the next day to book for the next week and the rooms were something like $350 or more. So that's why I'm staying near the airport. It pisses me off that they can get away with that crap. :( :mad:

Yeah, the rate I'd get is $389 a night. The parents will split the cost which will help. And since there is no way I could stick my mother out at the airport with nothing for her to do for 3 days and not hear about it for the rest of eternity I think I'll just consider it money well spent. :P

PeteRFNY
06-18-07, 10:10 PM
Book through Hotel.com. I got a really good deal on a room relatively close to the Inner Harbor.

drjeckyl
06-20-07, 09:13 PM
last year, I stayed at the Quality Inn & Suites the Carlyle located near John Hopkins for about $169. It's a few miles from the inner harbor, but it's only a short cab ride away.

As a bonus, there was convenient on street parking nearby which did not cost anything.

This year, I was a little bit smarter and booked at the Mariott immediately after the schedule was announced.

4bronxbombers
06-22-07, 02:47 PM
wow....I managed to get the Residence Inn at the Inner Harbor but it's $300- a night. :upset: :eek:

#1PaFan
06-22-07, 05:56 PM
wow....I managed to get the Residence Inn at the Inner Harbor but it's $300- a night. :upset: :eek:

DAYUM!!!! Does Trishie run that place? That's what she charges me.

drjeckyl
06-22-07, 06:33 PM

For that kind of money, they BETTER win!! I can't complain though, my hotel is chargin me about $230 something and I'm going for 2 nights. I'll be in the Inner Harbor this time around.

4bronxbombers
06-22-07, 06:41 PM
For that kind of money, they BETTER win!! I can't complain though, my hotel is chargin me about $230 something and I'm going for 2 nights. I'll be in the Inner Harbor this time around.

Where did you find a hotel in the Inner Harbor for 230- for 2 nights if you don't mind me asking.

drjeckyl
06-23-07, 06:05 AM
Where did you find a hotel in the Inner Harbor for 230- for 2 nights if you don't mind me asking.

Not at all. I'm at the Residence Inn. I made this reservation in early January. After the schedules were announced and before tickets went on sale. My thought was if I don't get the tickets, I can always cancel the reservation. I was quotes their usual rate instead of the inflated prices that I seen when the supply begins to dwindle. The actual cost is $229 plus an additional $28 for government taxes and fees per night. So, I'm really playing $257. I think were staying in the same hotel. But, I might have reserved earlier than you and got a better price. How did you make your reservation? Did you make it direct?

UnionCityBlue
06-23-07, 07:32 AM
I got the Marriott Inner Harbor for 99.00 for the June 28 game, it was a special offer to Marriott Reward Card Holders that I got an email about.

4bronxbombers
06-23-07, 07:41 AM
I got the Marriott Inner Harbor for 99.00 for the June 28 game, it was a special offer to Marriott Reward Card Holders that I got an email about.

What the hell...I'm a Marriott Reward Card Holder and they told me it was $360- a night. :dunno:

4bronxbombers
06-23-07, 07:43 AM
Not at all. I'm at the Residence Inn. I made this reservation in early January. After the schedules were announced and before tickets went on sale. My thought was if I don't get the tickets, I can always cancel the reservation. I was quotes their usual rate instead of the inflated prices that I seen when the supply begins to dwindle. The actual cost is $229 plus an additional $28 for government taxes and fees per night. So, I'm really playing $257. I think were staying in the same hotel. But, I might have reserved earlier than you and got a better price. How did you make your reservation? Did you make it direct?

I think I'm staying at the Residence Inn too but I've got reservations in 3 different hotels and will cancel 2 of them once I figure out which one I'm definitely staying in. I called the Marriott # to make my reservations.

4bronxbombers
06-23-07, 10:24 AM

Let me know if anyone is planning any NYYFans get togethers - I know exactly where the ESPN Zone is....was there 3 weeks ago on business. I'm going by myself so I'd love to meet up with some of you. :)

NYDCYankee
06-23-07, 02:35 PM
There is a Hampton Inn in the Inner Harbor that is very affordable, my wife's family stayed there last month for her graduation, and it's just a few blocks from the stadium.

Also, if people want to go for a little more upscale dining go to Pazo's.

http://www.pazorestaurant.com/

4bronxbombers
06-23-07, 04:16 PM
There is a Hampton Inn in the Inner Harbor that is very affordable, my wife's family stayed there last month for her graduation, and it's just a few blocks from the stadium.

Also, if people want to go for a little more upscale dining go to Pazo's.

http://www.pazorestaurant.com/

Wow.....looks good. I love the ad anyway......;)

yankswn23
06-23-07, 10:39 PM
Let me know if anyone is planning any NYYFans get togethers - I know exactly where the ESPN Zone is....was there 3 weeks ago on business. I'm going by myself so I'd love to meet up with some of you. :)

Ill be out there fr the june 26th game which is Jeters bday..Ill be there shortly before the game starts, however if anyone wants to meet after the game to eat or whatever that would be fun..I live in delaware, so Ill most likely be driving back later that evening..

NelsonMuntz
06-24-07, 12:09 PM
I'll be at the Sunday game (7/29).

4bronxbombers
06-25-07, 07:21 AM
I'll be at the Sat July 28th game but I'm coiming in on the 27th and leaving the 29th. Can't wait!