PDA

View Full Version : The Official "Watching The Scoreboard" Thread 1.0

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49

a2ruYankee
09-19-07, 03:47 PM
When we play like we can... we can beat any team.

With that said... if we have to make a first round exit against whoever....

I hope we win the division and knock Boston off the WC at the same time... missing playoffs by one game.

Eh.... consolation prizes.... errr... suck

R.V.47
09-19-07, 03:58 PM
Cleveland is starting to look scary. Detroit was red-hot going into this game and Cleveland just shut them down. I'm starting to think LAAAAA might be easier (then again, even the Yankees crappier pitchers have shut down the Indians this year; I think both NYY/CLE series did not feature the top starters).

There will not be an easy opponent in the playoffs this year. Theres no Texas Rangers in the first round to play like we had in 96 and 98. Yes, we are 6-0 vs. Cleveland but they have gotten healthier and we havent sen C.C. Sabathia this years Cy young winner in my opinion. Anahem, well we all know what Anaheim brings to the table. Pitching speed and timely hitting. Bottom line is our pitchers have to step up and our hitters cant have a brain freeze like they did last year in the playoffs. The American League playoffs this year is as unpredictable as ever.

Kluivert4Ever
09-19-07, 04:05 PM
There will not be an easy opponent in the playoffs this year. Theres no Texas Rangers in the first round to play like we had in 96 and 98. Yes, we are 6-0 vs. Cleveland but they have gotten healthier and we havent sen C.C. Sabathia this years Cy young winner in my opinion. Anahem, well we all know what Anaheim brings to the table. Pitching speed and timely hitting. Bottom line is our pitchers have to step up and our hitters cant have a brain freeze like they did last year in the playoffs. The American League playoffs this year is as unpredictable as ever.

Exactly, its like picking your poison.

The Angels have our number as we all know but to wish to play a team like Cleveland just does not seem right.

JSG
09-19-07, 04:08 PM
8th best ERA in the league since ASB...1st best offense.

right, but you need to take the pitching stats with a grain of salt: the 3 moose bombs for 17.70 ERA, karstens, bullpen experiments. our pitching has been inconsistent, but i think it matches up very well right now. now take a look at boston: their ERA is probably the best in the league since they started off so well. SO: is there anyone out there who thinks boston's rotation or bullpen is actually better than ours right now ?? this is not to say it's all a slam dunk or that we still don't need to figure out our final rotation or pen, but just that you can't rely on those stats. they are essentially meaningless.

JSG
09-19-07, 04:09 PM
Sox fans are unreal. Even if they blow the division they'll still be in the playoffs. As we saw last year with Detroit, that won't matter once the post season begins. They should worry about getting healthy, finding a second starter and making sure Eric Gagne is nowhere near a playoff roster.

their best strategy may be planting him in the bullpen throwing at mo !!

ymike673
09-19-07, 04:12 PM
Nice, Cleveland.

Side note: I know that win was technically a good thing for the Yanks playoff drive, but it does essentially kill my crazy dream of the Tigers roaring back to take the Wild Card (with the Yanks winning the East of course). Oh well. Guess we'll just have to take the division and watch the Sox continue their struggles on the way to a quick first-round exit.

The only way the Yankees can claim the division if they finish tied with the Sox is if the Sox are the WC team. That's better than if the Yankees finish tied and had to have a one game playoff with the Sox which is what would happen if the Tigers were the WC.

I Heart Jeter
09-19-07, 04:14 PM
It would be nice if we could wrap a playoff berth up by Monday.... What's our magic number anyway?

cupcollector99
09-19-07, 04:15 PM
These Yankees are a Jeckel and Hyde team. It doesn't matter who they face, if the Hyde shows up and steals the bats, they're not gonna beat anyone.

JSG
09-19-07, 04:15 PM

yeah, the competition is very tough this year. cleve and LAA are both really good teams. as noted above it's a pick your poison proposition. i would prefer not to have to travel to the coast, but i can't really root one way or the other. i am set with, let's just get our rotation and pen together, rest our guys, and let it rip. the bosox we seem to own now and i think we stack up better on paper against them, but these series are always unpredictable and totally insane. but the AL has to me the 4 best teams in the league, and maybe 5 counting detroit.

JSG
09-19-07, 04:17 PM
It would be nice if we could wrap a playoff berth up by Monday.... What's our magic number anyway?

................... 6

ymike673
09-19-07, 04:18 PM
Even know the Mets are still in first place their playoff lead is 1 1/2 games due to the fact that they have the same record as the current NL WC team (Padres). So with the Yankees now having a 5 game lead on Detroit they now are in a much more solid playoff position than the boys from Flushing. Who would have thought that possiible back in August?

Nice job Tribe but that's the last game I root for them this season. We need the Yankees to end up with a better record than Cleveland to insure "Home Field" advantage in the first round after the Yankees pass the Sox.

ymike673
09-19-07, 04:19 PM

6 going into tonights game.

In Mo I Trust
09-19-07, 04:20 PM
These Yankees are a Jeckel and Hyde team. It doesn't matter who they face, if the Hyde shows up and steals the bats, they're not gonna beat anyone.

I totally agree, it is all about how the Yankees play and it doesn't matter who we have to face. If they play like they are capable of, they'll beat anyone.

ymike673
09-19-07, 04:20 PM
That 6-0 record against Cleveland really means nothing since neither CC or Wang pitched in any of those games.

JeterForPresident
09-19-07, 04:23 PM
That 6-0 record against Cleveland really means nothing since neither CC or Wang pitched in any of those games.

Wait it still means something. It gives some mental edge to the Yankees and that could be big in a postseason series, especially against a team of guys who have never played playoff baseball before.

ymike673
09-19-07, 04:27 PM
Wait it still means something. It gives some mental edge to the Yankees and that could be big in a postseason series, especially against a team of guys who have never played playoff baseball before.

Hate to disagree but last season the Yankees went 6-2 against Detroit and both losses came in the ninth inning of games Rivera was unable to pitch in. And the Tigers were making their first Post Season appearance in years. So if the Yankees did have a mental edge going in to the playoffs last year it didn't prevent Detroit from beating them 3 games to 1.

JeterForPresident
09-19-07, 04:30 PM
Hate to disagree but last season the Yankees went 6-2 against Detroit and both losses came in the ninth inning of games Rivera was unable to pitch in. And the Tigers were making their first Post Season appearance in years. So if the Yankees did have a mental edge going in to the playoffs last year it didn't prevent Detroit from beating them 3 games to 1.

Ok, thats the facts, can't argue with that. I just can't understand how 6-0 means absolutely nothing because we never saw CC, even if we did, and lets say he wins, so we lose those 2 and go 4-2. If nothing else, it shows we can play and beat them, every game matters, you can't simply dismiss what the teams did against each other in the regular season.

NyQuil
09-19-07, 04:31 PM

Don't forget about Kenny "It's just dirt" Rogers.

RIYankee23
09-19-07, 04:33 PM

I think that's a very important factor. Cleveland is a very young and inexperienced team. I always thought of them as pretenders due to the way they rolled over for Boston in the beginning of August to lose two out of three at home along with the the way the Yankees completely steamrolled them for a crushing 3 game sweep at the Jake (Hughes outpitched Carmona in game 1, Mussina pitched 7 strong in game 2, and Pettitte pitched a solid game 3).

Don't get me wrong, the Indians won't be a cakewalk by any means especially with Sabathia and Carmona on top of their rotation, but they are by far the weakest team in the AL playoffs.

RIYankee23
09-19-07, 04:34 PM

Last year the Tigers were the best all around team and they definately should've won it all had they not choked to the Cards.

The Tribe is not the best all around team this year by a long shot.

JeterForPresident
09-19-07, 04:36 PM
I think that's a very important factor. Cleveland is a very young and inexperienced team. I always thought of them as pretenders due to the way they rolled over for Boston in the beginning of August to lose two out of three at home along with the the way the Yankees completely steamrolled them for a crushing 3 game sweep at the Jake (Hughes outpitched Carmona in game 1, Mussina pitched 7 strong in game 2, and Pettitte pitched a solid game 3).

Don't get me wrong, the Indians won't be a cakewalk by any means especially with Sabathia and Carmona on top of their rotation, but they are by far the weakest team in the AL playoffs.

Hey I know we don't agree on Torre, but I am glad we agree on this. I'm glad someone agrees with me. I don't think going 6-0 guarantees playoff victory, but against a young and inexperienced team it certainly doesn't hurt.

ymike673
09-19-07, 04:37 PM
Ok, thats the facts, can't argue with that. I just can't understand how 6-0 means absolutely nothing because we never saw CC, even if we did, and lets say he wins, so we lose those 2 and go 4-2. If nothing else, it shows we can play and beat them, every game matters, you can't simply dismiss what the teams did against each other in the regular season.

3 of the games were played in early April when the Indians were not playing well. Anyway while I think the Yankees taking 5 out of 6 from the Sox could give them a mental edge playing 6 games against the Tribe over a 5 month period is not really going to give the Yankees a mental edge. And like I said, the Ace pitcher for each staff never pitched in any of the games.

But if I had my choice of a first round opponent it would be the Indians. I do believe the Yankees can beat them especially if Wang faces CC at the Stadium. I just do not think the 6-0 is going to mean anything when the series begins.

RIYankee23
09-19-07, 04:39 PM
Hey I know we don't agree on Torre, but I am glad we agree on this. I'm glad someone agrees with me. I don't think going 6-0 guarantees playoff victory, but against a young and inexperienced team it certainly doesn't hurt.

Hey I don't take anything personally on here. ;)

Well said, I don't know how any Yankee fan could honestly say they wouldn't feel more comfortable playing the Indians in the first round.

JeterForPresident
09-19-07, 04:41 PM

Well said, I don't know how any Yankee fan could honestly say they wouldn't feel more comfortable playing the Indians in the first round.

I definitely would, not completely because of how we played against them earlier in the season, but mostly because they are young and inexperienced and would probably be a little easier to beat then the Angels. That being said, and as I said in the threads about trying to not win the division to avoid LAA, I would never tank the division to avoid a team. If winning the division means playing the Angels, then so be it.

RIYankee23
09-19-07, 04:41 PM
3 of the games were played in early April when the Indians were not playing well. Anyway while I think the Yankees taking 5 out of 6 from the Sox could give them a mental edge playing 6 games against the Tribe over a 5 month period is not really going to give the Yankees a mental edge. And like I said, the Ace pitcher for each staff never pitched in any of the games.

We hit their #2 Carmona pretty well with Hughes pitching very well in the same game.

Mussina pitched 7 strong innings which bodes pretty well.

Pettitte (who some consider our real ace, myself included) pitched a good game to close out the sweep.

RIYankee23
09-19-07, 04:42 PM
I definitely would, not completely because of how we played against them earlier in the season, but mostly because they are young and inexperienced and would probably be a little easier to beat then the Angels. That being said, and as I said in the threads about trying to not win the division to avoid LAA, I would never tank the division to avoid a team. If winning the division means playing the Angels, then so be it.

Yea, that thread is absolutely pathetic. As I posted there, if the Yankees are that worried about the Angels, then they don't deserve to be in the playoffs in the first place.

ymike673
09-19-07, 04:48 PM
Winning the Division means a chance at "Home Field" advantage. Even if it means playing the Angels getting "Home Field" should be the priority. And the Yankees starting rotation looks much bettter this year than in 2005. (No Randy Johnson) And the Angels will have to contend with Joba. The Yankees WILL beat the Angels this year if they face each other.

Snatch Catch
09-19-07, 04:49 PM
We hit their #2 Carmona pretty well with Hughes pitching very well in the same game.

Mussina pitched 7 strong innings which bodes pretty well.

Pettitte (who some consider our real ace, myself included) pitched a good game to close out the sweep.

Out of Lackey, Carmona, and Escobar, Carmona has had the best "bad outing" against the Yanks. Both Escobar and Lackey have been gotten to pretty well.

The idea that the Indians are the better option is crazy. CC Sabathia is

1) Lefty
2) The best pitcher in the AL this year
3) Unseen by the Yankees for multiple seasons now

The Yanks are going to have a tough go of it no matter who they draw.

a2ruYankee
09-19-07, 04:49 PM

It simply cannot be said any better than that. ^^^
(exceptions: Wang, Pettitte, Posada, AROD)

JeterForPresident
09-19-07, 04:51 PM
Out of Lackey, Carmona, and Escobar, Carmona has had the best "bad outing" against the Yanks. Both Escobar and Lackey have been gotten to pretty well.

1) Lefty

Of course, this is the playoffs, it is all good teams, no team is a complete pushover come October.

RIYankee23
09-19-07, 04:58 PM

1) Lefty

Maybe you missed the way Lackey outdueled Clemens in July. The Yankees couldn't touch him for 8 innings.

CC Sabathia is one guy. If the Yankees use a good, consistent approach to work the count, I feel much more comfortable against the Indians middle relief and Bororwski than I do against Shields and Krod.

In case you've missed it, the Yankees have found every possible way to lose to the Angels this year. Plus our track record in year's past against them isn't too good either.

On top of that the Angels are the much better team top to bottom. They have the better manager, the better bullpen, the better lineup, more speed, more experience, and they make you beat them. The only spot where the Tribe is better is that Sabathia has been better than Lackey, but it's not like Lackey is a walk in the park himself as I already mentioned. Plus, Lackey has won a WS and has a proven track record in the playoffs unlike Sabathia. Lackey could very well perform better than Sabathia in the playoffs, given his prior experience and his own ability which really isn't that fall off from Sabathia's level.

Sorry, but you're in the minority here. I'd expect the overwhelming majority of Yankee fans to prefer playing the Tribe than the Angels in the first round.

Game4Tino
09-19-07, 05:08 PM
Cleveland beat Detroit 4-2 today. I think the Yankees can concentrate on catching Boston at this point. They're making the Playoffs either way. April/May seem so far away. Tip o' the cap to the Yankees for refusing to quit after such a dismal start.

StankyTHEyankee
09-19-07, 05:23 PM
Tigers are down for the count. They had a chance if they swept the Tribe this series, but Cleveland just seemed to want it more. I personally would rather face the Indians than the LAAofA considering our record against them this year, but remember that we swept the series in Cleveland while they were Pronk-less.

MoRivera42akaGod
09-19-07, 05:35 PM

The Indians and Angels are basically the same team statistically with Cleveland have a slightly lower ERA and higher OPS and Anahiem with a slightly higher run differential. However, I think that the Indians are a much more talented team offensivly they have decent power at basically every position and their best hitter has done nothing all year.

On the other end the Angels have been getting career years from a few players and its more likely for their offense to sputter in the post season then the Indians. Unfortunatly the Angels also matchup better with us because we throw out so few runners. Even considering that I'd still rather face the Angels because if we gameplan them and work on holding runners on through unconventional means or just in general we're facing a less talented team.

Snatch Catch
09-19-07, 05:42 PM
Maybe you missed the way Lackey outdueled Clemens in July. The Yankees couldn't touch him for 8 innings.

CC Sabathia is one guy. If the Yankees use a good, consistent approach to work the count, I feel much more comfortable against the Indians middle relief and Bororwski than I do against Shields and Krod.

In case you've missed it, the Yankees have found every possible way to lose to the Angels this year. Plus our track record in year's past against them isn't too good either.

On top of that the Angels are the much better team top to bottom. They have the better manager, the better bullpen, the better lineup, more speed, more experience, and they make you beat them. The only spot where the Tribe is better is that Sabathia has been better than Lackey, but it's not like Lackey is a walk in the park himself as I already mentioned. Plus, Lackey has won a WS and has a proven track record in the playoffs unlike Sabathia. Lackey could very well perform better than Sabathia in the playoffs, given his prior experience and his own ability which really isn't that fall off from Sabathia's level.

Sorry, but you're in the minority here. I'd expect the overwhelming majority of Yankee fans to prefer playing the Tribe than the Angels in the first round.

I know I'm in the minority. That's because most people are unjustifiably terrified of the Angels.

You totally glossed over my point about Carmona, Lackey and Escobar. Carmona has the best "bad outing" by any of them. The Yankees have shown the ability to hit the two Angels starters, and hit them hard. Not so much with Carmona.

And say all you want about CC being the "only thing" that the Indians have over the Angels. It's a short series. An ace can make the difference in a 5 game set.

*The Yankees have trouble with guys the haven't seen before.

*The Yankees have trouble with lefties

What if the the Yankees face a guy they haven't seen before who is a lefty, and he just happens to also be the best pitcher in the league?

I don't know the outcome, but I'm nowhere near saying that's a situation I want the Yanks to partake in with the season on the line.

And it's laughable that the you think the only spot the Tribe is better than the Angels in is Sabathia.

* The Indians have an unreal bullpen, yes it is probably better than the Angels.

* They have the best middle reliever, and maybe reliever period, in baseball.

* They have what might be the best lefty reliever in the game.

* Check out Clevelands pitching in general. Since the ASB they are nearly a FULL RUN lower than the Angels. They have a 3.57 ERA as a TEAM in the second half.

* Vlad is battling injuries. Pronk is just getting over them.

There are more, too. Wanting the Indians because they'd be "easier" is foolish.

RIYankee23
09-19-07, 06:38 PM
I know I'm in the minority. That's because most people are unjustifiably terrified of the Angels.

You totally glossed over my point about Carmona, Lackey and Escobar. Carmona has the best "bad outing" by any of them. The Yankees have shown the ability to hit the two Angels starters, and hit them hard. Not so much with Carmona.

And say all you want about CC being the "only thing" that the Indians have over the Angels. It's a short series. An ace can make the difference in a 5 game set.

*The Yankees have trouble with guys the haven't seen before.

*The Yankees have trouble with lefties

What if the the Yankees face a guy they haven't seen before who is a lefty, and he just happens to also be the best pitcher in the league?

I don't know the outcome, but I'm nowhere near saying that's a situation I want the Yanks to partake in with the season on the line.

And it's laughable that the you think the only spot the Tribe is better than the Angels in is Sabathia.

* The Indians have an unreal bullpen, yes it is probably better than the Angels.

* They have the best middle reliever, and maybe reliever period, in baseball.

* They have what might be the best lefty reliever in the game.

* Check out Clevelands pitching in general. Since the ASB they are nearly a FULL RUN lower than the Angels. They have a 3.57 ERA as a TEAM in the second half.

* Vlad is battling injuries. Pronk is just getting over them.

There are more, too. Wanting the Indians because they'd be "easier" is foolish.

Unrational fear of the the Angels? They've knocked us out of the playoffs in 2 of the last 5 years. On top of that they've absolutely owned us this year as always.

Anaheim has the better rotation with Lackey, Escobar, Weaver, Colon, and Saunders. Colon is the only real question mark in that group and we know he can be dominant when he figures it out.

The Indians don't have much after their big two. Westbrook is mediocre and Byrd is simply not that good.

Shields and Krod are two of the best in the game and against the Yankees they have been absolutely lights out.

The Indians remain a very inexperienced team against whom the Yankees have a very solid track record against. Wanting to play the superior team in the Angels due to an irrational fear of the Indians is foolish.

The Zankees
09-19-07, 06:51 PM
I am just like everyone else deathly afraid of playing the Angels but let's get some things straight.

The Angels are the only team that has a winning record against us since the Torre era began in 96.

I don't have the exact head to head number but the Angels are not more than 10 games up on the Yanks since 96. So they are slightly better than us. Big deal. They play small ball, hit and run, steal steal steal and that proves to be a mostly winning formula against us.

They beat us twice in the playoffs. One of those times was in a Game 5 elimination where WE choked for the most part.

I say bring on the Anaheim Angels of Los Angeles of the United States of America of the planet Earth of the Milky Way Galaxy.

If we draw them in the 1st round so be it. We can't let this fear of one team send us into a panic every year both teams makes the playoffs. Otherwise, we would be the Red Sox.

JeterForPresident
09-19-07, 06:53 PM
Unrational fear of the the Angels? They've knocked us out of the playoffs in 2 of the last 5 years. On top of that they've absolutely owned us this year as always.

Anaheim has the better rotation with Lackey, Escobar, Weaver, Colon, and Saunders. Colon is the only real question mark in that group and we know he can be dominant when he figures it out.

The Indians don't have much after their big two. Westbrook is mediocre and Byrd is simply not that good.

Shields and Krod are two of the best in the game and against the Yankees they have been absolutely lights out.

The Indians remain a very inexperienced team against whom the Yankees have a very solid track record against. Wanting to play the superior team in the Angels due to an irrational fear of the Indians is foolish.

We got a winner here! :clap: :clap:

Snatch Catch
09-19-07, 07:32 PM

[QUOTE=RIYankee23]Anaheim has the better rotation with Lackey, Escobar, Weaver, Colon, and Saunders. Colon is the only real question mark in that group and we know he can be dominant when he figures it out.

Since when do team's entire rotation count in a 5 game series?

The Indians, much less any team, doesn't need much after their big two in a 5 game series.

I'll take Incorrect Assumptions for $500 Alex. Look up Scot Shields numbers this year. Here, I'll help:

He has a 4.50 ERA against the Yankees. Since the All-Star break he has an 8.41 ERA. But hey, he's scary!

Also, while he certainly has performed well against the Yankees, K-Rod has a 4.01 ERA since the All-Star break.

By contrast, take a look at Rafael Betancourt and Rafael Perez. They DWARF anything that Shields and K-Rod have done this year, and Perez is a lefty. I know, I know, their names aren't as big and scary, but trust me, they're really good!

The fear of the Indians is by no means irrational. It is justified by looking at what they've done as a team, how their roster is constructed, how healthy their players are, and how they've been playing. More than anything else, it's a recognition of just how good they are, which is something others are refusing to see simply because of what has happened historically with the Angels. I've only said that the Indians are not a step down or an easier bet than the Angels. To not acknowledge that is a matter of believing in curses and jinxes. "Oh no, they have our number!" As The Zankees said, the Yankees lost the game 5 to Anaheim. They didn't get beaten as much as they beat themselves. Sheff and Bubba aren't going to collide in the OF in 2007.

I hope the Yanks play the Indians and sweep them, but I won't act like they're a better option than the Angels.

JSG
09-19-07, 07:33 PM
Giambi goes for more tests on injured right foot

Associated Press

<!-- promo plug -->
<!-- end promo plug -->

<!-- end story header --><!-- begin left column --><!-- begin page tools -->Updated: September 19, 2007, 7:10 PM ET

<!-- end page tools --><!-- begin story body --><!-- template inline -->NEW YORK -- Yankees slugger Jason Giambi (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5386) was out of the starting lineup Wednesday night and went to a hospital for more tests on his bruised right foot.

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/65x90/5386.jpg Giambi

Giambi was hit by a pitch from Baltimore's Daniel Cabrera (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7325) in the second inning of New York's 8-5 win Monday night. The designated hitter stayed in but was lifted for a pinch runner in the eighth after his third walk of the game.
Manager Joe Torre said he was going to start Giambi at first base Tuesday but the foot was still bothering him. X-rays were negative.
"Hopefully, it's just a bruise, because that's what was diagnosed originally," Torre said before the Yankees faced the Orioles on Wednesday night.
The 2000 AL MVP with Oakland, Giambi missed more than two months this season because of torn tissue in his left foot. He began the day batting .243 with 14 homers and 35 RBIs in 74 games.
Doug Mientkiewicz (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6138) started at first base and Shelley Duncan (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=8072) was the designated hitter for the finale of the three-game series against Baltimore.

THEBOSS84
09-19-07, 08:05 PM
[quote=RIYankee23]Unrational fear of the the Angels? They've knocked us out of the playoffs in 2 of the last 5 years. On top of that they've absolutely owned us this year as always.

Since when do team's entire rotation count in a 5 game series?

The Indians, much less any team, doesn't need much after their big two in a 5 game series.

I'll take Incorrect Assumptions for $500 Alex. Look up Scot Shields numbers this year. Here, I'll help:

He has a 4.50 ERA against the Yankees. Since the All-Star break he has an 8.41 ERA. But hey, he's scary!

Also, while he certainly has performed well against the Yankees, K-Rod has a 4.01 ERA since the All-Star break.

By contrast, take a look at Rafael Betancourt and Rafael Perez. They DWARF anything that Shields and K-Rod have done this year, and Perez is a lefty. I know, I know, their names aren't as big and scary, but trust me, they're really good!

The fear of the Indians is by no means irrational. It is justified by looking at what they've done as a team, how their roster is constructed, how healthy their players are, and how they've been playing. More than anything else, it's a recognition of just how good they are, which is something others are refusing to see simply because of what has happened historically with the Angels. I've only said that the Indians are not a step down or an easier bet than the Angels. To not acknowledge that is a matter of believing in curses and jinxes. "Oh no, they have our number!" As The Zankees said, the Yankees lost the game 5 to Anaheim. They didn't get beaten as much as they beat themselves. Sheff and Bubba aren't going to collide in the OF in 2007.

I hope the Yanks play the Indians and sweep them, but I won't act like they're a better option than the Angels.

Snatch, I must say - I generally always respect and agree with your opinions, and I agree with you on this one. You guys better start reading up on the Rafael brothers from now. Bettancourt and Perez have been INCREDIBLE this year. I hope they don't make thier big splash onto the MLB scene against us. Bettancourt is more known (I think he got nailed for steroids recently, athough I could be wrong), but Perez will soon be known be many as much as we know Shields.

jeterdaman
09-19-07, 08:12 PM
1-0 Red Sox top of the 5th

LIYanks
09-19-07, 08:24 PM
Wow. JD with his 9th HR of this season. A great pickup for a cool 14 mil a year, Theo. :D

yankees135
09-19-07, 08:25 PM
Wow. JD with his 9th HR of this season. A great pickup for a cool 14 mil a year, Theo. :D

you know the entire inside the line section went a whole 12 minutes without a post before you made that post!?! tied up in toronto now

edit: blue jays are winning! 2-1 with 2nd and 3rd none out still on an error by buckholz on an attempted bunt

CallOfTheCrow
09-19-07, 08:25 PM
1-1 in toronto, 1st & 2nd 0 outs

yankees135
09-19-07, 08:27 PM
huge blunder from the blue jay runner on third! he stepped off and lowell tagged him......kind of the hidden ball trick. he was just sort of adjusting himself after sliding in safely (he was already standing on the base upright) but sort of took another step to reposition himself on the base, and lowell tagged him

keg411
09-19-07, 08:28 PM
I agree that the Indians might be more terrifying than the Angels. Sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know.

Meanwhile, Buchholz is starting to give up hits (and runs).

LIYanks
09-19-07, 08:30 PM
you know the entire inside the line section went a whole 12 minutes without a post before you made that post!?! tied up in toronto now

edit: blue jays are winning! 2-1 with 2nd and 3rd none out still on an error by buckholz on an attempted bunt

LOL. The Curse of Nyyfans.

CallOfTheCrow
09-19-07, 08:31 PM
yahoo box is confusing me.

Whats the exact situation in Toronto? Whos on what base, outs, etc

yankees135
09-19-07, 08:32 PM

it is now 1st and 2nd 1 out for stairs (i have it on TV)

(with jays up 2-1)

Coney36
09-19-07, 08:32 PM

I'm yahoo box watching too. Isn't it one out with Wells on first?

yankees135
09-19-07, 08:33 PM
I'm yahoo box watching too. Isn't it one out with Wells on first?

stairs strikes out. 2 on 2 out for rios ( i think it is rios) ....francona out to the mound for a pitching change . i can't tell who it is coming in

Spiker101
09-19-07, 08:34 PM
huge blunder from the blue jay runner on third! he stepped off and lowell tagged him......kind of the hidden ball trick. he was just sort of adjusting himself after sliding in safely (he was already standing on the base upright) but sort of took another step to reposition himself on the base, and lowell tagged him

What is with the Blue Jays? Do they fall for every Little League fake-out play ever invented?

yankees135
09-19-07, 08:34 PM
What is with the Blue Jays? Do they fall for every Little League fake-out play ever invented?

I have it on mute, but I'm guessing what happened is Lowell said "HA!" then the guy was startled and JUMPED in the air due to being startled and was tagged out

edit: inning over. blue jays get 2 to take the lead 2-1, but probably should have had more if not for the blunder at third base

yankees135
09-19-07, 08:40 PM
Big Papi flies out to shallow right on a pitch off the end of the bat (I thought for a second he had it, but no). 1-2-3 top of the 6th for Litch. 2-1 Jays going into the bottom of the inning

Mark19
09-19-07, 08:41 PM
It looked like three straight hits then Clay saw an expensive-looking laptop in the press box and lost his concentration resulting in an error and 2 runs for Toronto.

Messerwhitescooter
09-19-07, 08:47 PM
[quote=yankees135]you know the entire inside the line section went a whole 12 minutes without a post before you made that post!?! tied up in toronto now

Really? that doesn't seem possible. Crash?

yankees135
09-19-07, 08:48 PM
[quote=yankees135]you know the entire inside the line section went a whole 12 minutes without a post before you made that post!?! tied up in toronto now

Really? that doesn't seem possible. Crash?

that is what i thought too. but if you look at the listing of all the threads in ITL, most of them haven't been posted in for a while (at least not on my computer, so unless my computer is being funny)

Tabata
09-19-07, 09:02 PM
The Sox really need Manny back in their line-up.

cyhughes22
09-19-07, 09:03 PM
It looked like three straight hits then Clay saw an expensive-looking laptop in the press box and lost his concentration resulting in an error and 2 runs for Toronto.

LMAO post of the day.

CallOfTheCrow
09-19-07, 09:03 PM
litsch is gonna give it up.

Tabata
09-19-07, 09:07 PM
Lugo's my favorite Red Sox player :)

CallOfTheCrow
09-19-07, 09:07 PM
anyone got any sosh quotes from their GT after that choke job?

teknetic
09-19-07, 09:08 PM

LUGO YOU SUCK

:lol:

CallOfTheCrow
09-19-07, 09:10 PM
no wishing of bodily harm. I'm shocked. Then again, the game isn't over yet.

Cambridge
09-19-07, 09:20 PM

The SoSH game thread is the mirror image of this one. Anyone making fun of posts on the opposing site is basically making fun of their own.

LIYanks
09-19-07, 09:35 PM
3 outs away from 1.5 :D

What was that again, Steve Phillips?

Jeter Kid
09-19-07, 09:35 PM
Sox have 3 outs left or it could be down to 1.5!

CallOfTheCrow
09-19-07, 09:37 PM
We still need to win our game first guys ;)

NYYMazda
09-19-07, 09:41 PM
All day long I've been thinking about winning the division...and how it might NOT be a good thing.... If LAA continues to lose, we will still have to face them in the first round. I know some people want to be ballsy and say, "I don't care, I want the Angels, blah blah blah", but no one in their right mind wants the Angels in the first round.

I've wanted to win the division all year long and make a monumentous comeback, but however it works out, I just want Cleveland in the ALDS. Come on CLE, make it happen!

b-ball-lunachick
09-19-07, 09:41 PM
Ouch -- Timlin just hit Rios between the numbers with a 93mph fastball...looked like it hurt..obviously not on purpose -- had a 2-2 count with nobody on in a 2-1 game..

Timlin doesn't look as sharp tonight as he has recently...

the team looks pretty frustrated to me -- the way Lowell tossed off all his stuff after a strikeout, they look frustrated...

b-ball-lunachick
09-19-07, 09:43 PM
Rios stole second but he just walked Thomas...Thigpen in to run for Thomas...

sac bunt -- 2nd and 3rd, 1 out..

CallOfTheCrow
09-19-07, 09:43 PM
cmon jays, do it.

Tabata
09-19-07, 09:46 PM
Bases loaded with 1 out

Lind coming up

NYYMazda
09-19-07, 09:47 PM
bases loaded, one out for TOR.. Papelbon is coming in to try and salvage the game, lol.

yankeefreak04
papelbon in

CallOfTheCrow
ugh too much going on, cant take it!

frostdude1
09-19-07, 09:53 PM
cmon u pathetic jays !!

Matt
09-19-07, 09:55 PM
lolol grand slam

gill2k
Hahahaha!!! Russ Adams Burns The Red Sox Again!!!! Grand Slam!!!

Yankeeah
The most dramatic moment in life is the time in between MLB Gameday says "Run(s) scored" and the time they put up what happened.

b-ball-lunachick
wow papelbon just let up a grand slam..i'm shocked..

cupcollector99
SOSH must be on fire...

BigCheese
GRAND SLAM OFF OF PAPELBON!!!!

Much better than Gagne... much better...

yankeefreak04
GS Off of Paps... Are you kidding me?

NYYMazda
Grand Salami From Russ Adams!! Adams Does It Two Nights In A Row!!! I Love It!!!

ebas
Grand Slam! Toronto 6-1!!!!!!

AlongCameAPrincess
09-19-07, 09:56 PM
OH. MY. GOD. WOW. I was wishing it would happen, I just didn't think it would.

gill2k
It was off Papelbon too.

cupcollector99
What sucks about this Sox meltdown is now the Yanks have to face a red hot Jays team.

CallOfTheCrow
09-19-07, 09:57 PM
never would have guessed.

ebas
Time for Mo to finish it.

TheInfallibleOne
yupp. definitely the best in the business, those bostonian relievers.

This was the closer that SoSH claims to be better than Mo?
HA!

frostdude1
Boston is finished :lol:

YanksFanTillDeath
09-19-07, 09:58 PM
I love you papelbon.... 1 out from 1.5 game back

frostdude1
Papelbon is on the Yankees payroll :D

LeapsNbounds
WoW, just WoW.

Red Sox can't tailspin faster.

Let's go Mo.....finish this.

BigCheese
09-19-07, 10:00 PM
Has anybody done the research? What is the ERA of closers in non-save situations vs. save situations? Seems like closers always pitch worse in non-save situations...

YanksFanTillDeath
cmon MO...... I got no more nails.....

Babe Rules
Cmon Mo.

AlongCameAPrincess
Time for Mo to finish it.

Yes. Please.

hardrain
What sucks about this Sox meltdown is now the Yanks have to face a red hot Jays team.

Sir, there is nothing that sucks about a Sox meltdown.

YanksFanTillDeath
09-19-07, 10:01 PM
god that stadium is LOUD`!!!!!!

JeffWeaverFan
09-19-07, 10:01 PM
I'm okay with that. Either way, you're only as hot as your next days starter, as the old saying goes.

Fact is, the Blue Jays have a good team, and it will be a tough series.

cupcollector99
09-19-07, 10:02 PM
Sox lose..

NYIndian2005
09-19-07, 10:02 PM
Mo is struggling. 27 pitches

bannusvdk
09-19-07, 10:03 PM
here we go Mo. One loss back. Strike him out!

cupcollector99
Mo is getting squeezed...

NYYMazda
BAL is putting together some great at bats. All of a sudden they are very patient.

NYYMazda
09-19-07, 10:04 PM
................, bases loaded... come on Mo!!!

WeekendWarrior
09-19-07, 10:05 PM
Rivera doesnt have a strikeout pitch recently. He has to figure it out soon before the playoffs

bannusvdk
Mo is getting squeezed...

He had Huff struck out on that 2-2 pitch.

YanksFanTillDeath
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

WeekendWarrior
that was the same pitch as to hernandez

YanksFanTillDeath
09-19-07, 10:06 PM
Hell YEAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cupcollector99
1.5 games, baby.. 1.5 games.

Tabata
One and a half games back!!!

We can do this!

Rastven
There's the Mo we love

CallOfTheCrow
09-19-07, 10:07 PM
anybody else's blood pressure sky rocket?

JSG
09-19-07, 10:07 PM
un - freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak - ing believable !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nemo
09-19-07, 10:08 PM
hahahah AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

now what I want to see is all the posts from SoSH boards!!!! WOOO WOO

edit: Callofthecrow.... my was through the roof..... Mo is too scary now :(

NYYMazda
One game back with 10 to play.. unbelievable!!!

Its now about time to root for LAA!!

Game4Tino
This is awesome. I really think they are going to catch Boston. Who woulda thunk it? :D

CallOfTheCrow
09-19-07, 10:09 PM
i had to watch via yahoo boxscore so i was sitting here waiting for everyone's replies & the screen to refresh to tell me what happened.

YanksFanTillDeath
09-19-07, 10:09 PM
anybody else's blood pressure sky rocket?

190/105 holy shiat my heart is going to blow up !!!!

BonusCantos
09-19-07, 10:10 PM
The Red Sox have lost 4 games off their division lead in 4 days. Mmm, deeeee-lish!

BigCheese
Wow. I can't believe this. Looking back, if somebody told me we'd be 1 game back in the loss column at one point during this year, I'd have told them they're crazy.

WebsterMulligan
I truely hope the Yanks win the AL East.

cupcollector99
09-19-07, 10:11 PM
Has anyone slipped on the hip waders and checked out SOSH.. I love the quotes.

CallOfTheCrow
09-19-07, 10:11 PM
sexy times.

NYYMazda
09-19-07, 10:12 PM
Please post the SoSH outburts. I have been looking forward to those every day recently.

CallOfTheCrow
09-19-07, 10:12 PM
Has anyone slipped on the hip waders and checked out SOSH.. I love the quotes.

Nah, care to post some?

gill2k
09-19-07, 10:13 PM
Wow. I can't believe this. Looking back, if somebody told me we'd be 1 game back in the loss column at one point during this year, I'd have told them they're crazy.

That's pretty much my reaction to this now. I never would have thought this team pre-all-star break would go on this kind of tear. Only thing to do is sit back and enjoy the show.

b-ball-lunachick
Please post the SoSH outburts. I have been looking forward to those every day recently.
Here's one:

This game, series and thread is a Yankees fan wet dream.
<!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_1066068-->

DEADSOX

I second that.

NYYMazda
09-19-07, 10:14 PM
Here's one:

The last 4 days have been pure ecstasy.

JeterForPresident
So Russ Adams with the bases loaded two nights in a row????

Game4Tino
Here's one:

I'd say the entire summer has been that. Remember how low we felt at the end of May? That sucked. This does not. :D

Game4Tino
09-19-07, 10:15 PM
So Russ Adams with the bases loaded two nights in a row????

Russ Adams = Yankee Hero

Let's just hope he used up all his mojo on the Sobs!

TheInfallibleOne
i love it when sox fans jump ship. now wheres my shark whistle when i need it?

b-ball-lunachick
More SoSH quotes:

--No matter what happens from here on out, this whole organization should be embarrassed that its fans are paying money to be subjected to this pile of horse ................. <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_1066075-->

--This is on that fine line of comedic and insanity

--So the struggling offense is the reason Gagne, Oki, and Papelbon are in desperate need of diapers right now? <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_1066117--><!-- THE POST -->

JavyVazquezIsSick
09-19-07, 10:16 PM

Why can't we just keep SOSH at SOSH? Who cares, they are a very self loathing "nation."

The Zankees
09-19-07, 10:16 PM
Breaking news: The population of New England has dropped by 45%. Boy Wonder escorted to an undisclosed location on Patriots 1.

cupcollector99
09-19-07, 10:17 PM
Here's one...
Well, at least John Henry's hedge fund is no longer the worst-performing of his investments.

JeterForPresident
09-19-07, 10:18 PM
Russ Adams = Yankee Hero

Let's just hope he used up all his mojo on the Sobs!

Well those pesky Blue Jays, they giveth and they will certainly try and taketh away.

cupcollector99
Here's another...

"Well, it looks like they're ready for the playoffs. Everything's falling into place. Pitching, hitting, defense, and coaching are all working in concert. "

b-ball-lunachick
More from Sosh:

-This is going to suck much worse when the Yanks score 8 a game off of these same Blue Jay starters next week.

-I'm relieved that I was not selected to purchase Red Sox playoff tickets.

-Everyone give Tek a standing ovation. He needs some postivie reinforcement.

-Baseball Prospectus needs to add a new factor to their calculations:

The Red Sox factor- Can strike anywhere, at any time. Can turn 99.99 percent odds into a loss. Was thought dead after 04, has now made a startling comeback.

the last one made me chuckle. :D <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_1066141-->

<!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_1066125--><!-- THE POST -->

NYYMazda
Why can't we just keep SOSH at SOSH? Who cares, they are a very self loathing "nation."
Because its more fun to hear how maniacle they get, duh. ;P

DEADSOX

Because it's funny as hell.

JeterForPresident
09-19-07, 10:19 PM

Dude, if you don't enjoy reading, then don't read it, everyone else seems to be enjoying it. I try not to read most of your comments because I disagree, so I skip passed, you can do the same here.

Retire21
I'm pumped like all of you, but I'm going to temper some of that enthusiasm until next Monday afternoon. We have a tough 4-game series with TOR and some tough pitching match-ups while BOS plays......... TB.

If we get to Monday and we're only 1 GB, we're going to take this thing. Remember, we don't need to take over the lead in the AL East. All we have to do is tie and we win (a la 2005) due to the season series win tie-breaker.

CalYankeeFan
Here's one:

While the Sox continue to shoot blanks

hlrjr
yeah baby! i'm loving it!!

go yanks!

jnewmark
09-19-07, 10:20 PM

I'd be right next to you saying the same thing. Wow.

NYYMazda
09-19-07, 10:20 PM
More from Sosh:

-This is going to suck much worse when the Yanks score 8 a game off of these same Blue Jay starters next week.

-I'm relieved that I was not selected to purchase Red Sox playoff tickets.

-Everyone give Tek a standing ovation. He needs some postivie reinforcement.

-Baseball Prospectus needs to add a new factor to their calculations:

The Red Sox factor- Can strike anywhere, at any time. Can turn 99.99 percent odds into a loss. Was thought dead after 04, has now made a startling comeback.

the last one made me chuckle. :D <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_1066141-->

<!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_1066125--><!-- THE POST -->
The RS factor, I love it. The best part about all of this is all of their built up angst that is still exploding and coming back out strong. They still have the same old inferiority complex and can't get over it, I love it.

NYYMazda
09-19-07, 10:21 PM
I'm pumped like all of you, but I'm going to temper some of that enthusiasm until next Monday afternoon. We have a tough 4-game series with TOR and some tough pitching match-ups while BOS plays......... TB.

If we get to Monday and we're only 1 GB, we're going to take this thing. Remember, we don't need to take over the lead in the AL East. All we have to do is tie and we win (a la 2005) due to the season series win tie-breaker.
We're going to be 1 game ahead come Monday. Mark my words!

cupcollector99
09-19-07, 10:21 PM
SOSH posts for your entertainment.

I'm relieved that I was not selected to purchase Red Sox playoff tickets

Everyone give Tek a standing ovation. He needs some postivie reinforcement. <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_1066141-->

It's only a whole "effing" summer wasted following a team just to watch them fall apart at the end. Thanks a lot, Sox. <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_1066149-->
<!-- THE POST -->

and my favorite...

That was a smart move by Papelbon. By serving up the grand slam, it ensures that Toronto won't bat in the 9th. This accomplishes two things: (1) it gets the players to Tampa more quickly so they can rest; and (2) it reduces the risk of injury to any other relief pitchers. The Sox, prudently, have been able to get through three games by pitching only 24 innings. That's pretty smart. This should help the staff get the rest it needs.

Rocketman
09-19-07, 10:22 PM
I don't believe my eyes. Fiction is more realistic than our reality.

b-ball-lunachick
09-19-07, 10:23 PM
This one is good too. :D

Stiiiiiiiiiiiillllllllllllllllllllll up 7 in the wildcard. WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_1066265-->

jnewmark
09-19-07, 10:23 PM
The Boston Red Sox are like daylight savings Time : Spring ahead, Fall behind ! ( I know it's an oldie, but it fits! )

b-ball-lunachick
09-19-07, 10:25 PM
I'm not sure one can surpass this one:

It's a Yankee world. We're just falling apart in it. <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_1066319-->
<!-- THE POST -->

:lol:

I have a new signature...

Retire21
09-19-07, 10:26 PM
That was a smart move by Papelbon. By serving up the grand slam, it ensures that Toronto won't bat in the 9th. This accomplishes two things: (1) it gets the players to Tampa more quickly so they can rest; and (2) it reduces the risk of injury to any other relief pitchers. The Sox, prudently, have been able to get through three games by pitching only 24 innings. That's pretty smart. This should help the staff get the rest it needs.

THAT is the most fascinating, assinine, read-between-the-lines, Red Soxian analysis I have ever heard. Classic. I just have to wonder if Papelbon was 100% in the game tonight. I mean, you have to wonder, was his mind 100% in the game tonight ("like it always is"). :)

frostdude1
09-19-07, 10:29 PM
The Boston Red Sox are like daylight savings Time : Spring ahead, Fall behind ! ( I know it's an oldie, but it fits! )

new to me :lol:

cyhughes22
09-19-07, 10:30 PM
THAT is the most fascinating, assinine, read-between-the-lines, Red Soxian analysis I have ever heard. Classic. I just have to wonder if Papelbon was 100% in the game tonight. I mean, you have to wonder, was his mind 100% in the game tonight ("like it always is"). :)

I don't know, from the way Russ jacked that one out of there it seems like maybe his intimidating stare was lacking intensity tonight. Maybe he should go and confer with a teammate who knows how to close a game. Hmm I wonder if Eric Gagn...ooo wait maybe not. This could be a bigger collapse than the time Michael Jackson went to court with half of his "nose" missing.

rodney27nyg
09-19-07, 10:32 PM
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers
And whistle happily? :P
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Using "the final countdown" tune? :D
<!-- / message --><!-- Sig Was Here -->

:lol: you might want to skip also

hahaha. TFF:D

paullio
09-19-07, 10:32 PM
It's nice not having to even bother looking to see if Detroit won or lost. :)

Tabata
09-19-07, 10:33 PM
This one is good too. :D

Sad, they really are at times.

JeterForPresident
09-19-07, 10:33 PM
I definitely listen to The Final Countdown before every game now. Whatever works.

cupcollector99
09-19-07, 10:34 PM

I don't try to understand those people. That requires years of psychoanalysis and many different medications dispensed over time.

I think they're trying to play it too cool and when they lost Manny, it hurt but losing Youk really killed the team because they have no hitters to support Ortiz.
Same with Dicey-Kay and Gagne. They hope they can figure out for the post season, which they felt was automatic.
They left the sense of urgency behind because they know that they can win enough to get in the playoffs, hence the recent performance. They're not playing for anything.

I said in previous posts that first place wasn't necessary to win, and I still believe that.

cyhughes22
09-19-07, 10:35 PM
SOSH posts for your entertainment.

I'm relieved that I was not selected to purchase Red Sox playoff tickets

Everyone give Tek a standing ovation. He needs some postivie reinforcement. <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_1066141-->

It's only a whole "effing" summer wasted following a team just to watch them fall apart at the end. Thanks a lot, Sox. <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_1066149-->
<!-- THE POST -->

and my favorite...

Is Joe Morgan posting there now? Incredible, looks like I'll have to join. :D

dmbphan1
09-19-07, 10:39 PM
russ adams needs a standing o on friday

rodney27nyg
09-19-07, 10:40 PM
just re-watching yesterday's highligths. how many tall pitchers called cabrera do the orioles have?

7. They lead the league in tall pitcher's named Cabrera.

Its their only league-leading stat.;)

yankeeman61
09-19-07, 10:44 PM
russ adams needs a standing o on friday

Let's just send a fruit basket to his hotel room. Ist time up he should be knocked on his ass. It's just business

JSG
09-19-07, 10:45 PM
FROM THE BOSTON RED SOX "OFFICIAL" SITE:

Red Sox dynamic as frontrunners
AL East leaders since April cruising toward postseason

BOSTON -- They've never given themselves the thrill of a chase, these 2007 Boston Red Sox. Instead, they came out fast and furious and put the pressure on everyone else almost from the time the season started..........

............. I MEAN, IF THEY'RE GONNA STILL KEEP THIS UP THERE, AT LEAST THEY SHOULD RETITLE IT, "OH!!! THE OXYGEN!!!" ............

Kluivert4Ever
09-19-07, 10:46 PM
Heard about the rule on Sosh that whoever starts a winning Yankee game thread gets banned lol.

rodney27nyg
09-19-07, 10:47 PM
The only way the Yankees can claim the division if they finish tied with the Sox is if the Sox are the WC team. That's better than if the Yankees finish tied and had to have a one game playoff with the Sox which is what would happen if the Tigers were the WC.

If the Yanks finish in a tie w/the Sox, we are division champs, period.

There is no tie-breaker except head-head in that case....and we win.;)

CallOfTheCrow
09-19-07, 10:47 PM
Heard about the rule on Sosh that whoever starts a winning Yankee game thread gets banned lol.

that's about par for the course.

Sam18
09-19-07, 11:04 PM
http://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php?showtopic=23077&st=740

start from there for all the fun

Also I find it HILARIOUS that JavyVazquezIsSick sh*ts on the Yankees ALL THE TIME but gets PMS when Yankee fans are having some fun.

NYYk9005
09-19-07, 11:04 PM
I think the Yankee faithful should give Russ Adams a standing ovation every at bat he has in this upcoming series, whos with me?

bostonyankeefan
09-19-07, 11:07 PM
Just when I thought that things could not get more amusing as SOSH, they have. Armageddon is progress.

We need to be realistic about this weekend, however. Toronto is coming in with 4 hot pitchers. A split would be good, and it might put us in first place.

Tabata
09-19-07, 11:07 PM

Cheer up square

JeterRodriguezSheff
09-19-07, 11:21 PM
Just when I thought that things could not get more amusing as SOSH, they have. Armageddon is progress.

We need to be realistic about this weekend, however. Toronto is coming in with 4 hot pitchers. A split would be good, and it might put us in first place.

I hope we sweep, mainly because that be sweeping the team that just swept them to take our rightful place on top of the AL East.

LuisTiant
09-19-07, 11:26 PM
I think they're trying to play it too cool and when they lost Manny, it hurt but losing Youk really killed the team because they have no hitters to support Ortiz.
Same with Dicey-Kay and Gagne. They hope they can figure out for the post season, which they felt was automatic.
They left the sense of urgency behind because they know that they can win enough to get in the playoffs, hence the recent performance. They're not playing for anything.

I said in previous posts that first place wasn't necessary to win, and I still believe that.

I think this is spot on. No Manny and no Youk means no #5 hitter and therefore no offense. Ortiz is totally neutered.

Heard from a friend that there is no date yet for Ramirez to return (though should be well before the playoffs). And Youkilis may be next week as well. That's a problem for them and probably means the division for the Yanks. Without those two bats, they're just riding it out, waiting for Detroit to lose, getting healthy and backing in.

If they do get those two healthy and get Matsuzaka and Okajima rested (and the rest makes a difference), they'll be a much different team in the post-season than the team we just wiped the floor with.

Their gameplan: rest, rest and rest. And back into the WC.

Losing home field in the first round might not be a big deal for them. Even after getting swept at SkyDome (or whatever they're calling it this week), the Sawks are 43-35 on the road, the best road team in the A.L.

Anyway. We've nearly caught the Sawks. They're spent. Done. Stick a fork. At least where the division is concerned.

I just have a feeling that they're not quite dead yet.

b-ball-lunachick
09-19-07, 11:39 PM
Stat of the Day

In their last four losses, the Red Sox have surrendered 14 runs in the eighth inning.

http://www.projo.com/redsox/?tn

yikes...I didn't realize we had traded Farnsworth. ;)

<!-- end bulletlist -->

bostonyankeefan
09-19-07, 11:43 PM
I think this is spot on. No Manny and no Youk means no #5 hitter and therefore no offense. Ortiz is totally neutered.

Heard from a friend that there is no date yet for Ramirez to return (though should be well before the playoffs). And Youkilis may be next week as well. That's a problem for them and probably means the division for the Yanks. Without those two bats, they're just riding it out, waiting for Detroit to lose, getting healthy and backing in.

If they do get those two healthy and get Matsuzaka and Okajima rested (and the rest makes a difference), they'll be a much different team in the post-season than the team we just wiped the floor with.

Losing home field in the first round might not be a big deal for them. Even after getting swept at SkyDome (or whatever they're calling it this week), the Sawks are 43-35 on the road, the best road team in the A.L.

Anyway. We've nearly caught the Sawks. They're spent. Done. Stick a fork. At least where the division is concerned.

As much as I am enjoying this, they are hardly dead. They will have Manny and Youk back for the playoffs, and their starters and pen will be well rested. As well as Cleveland and the Angels are playing, I think that another ALCS showdown is inevitable.

In the immediate future, however, they have a rough road ahead. Kazmir gives them fits, so expect another low scoring game Friday night.

I would love nothing more than to pound the Jays this weekend.

cyhughes22
09-19-07, 11:44 PM

Lol I never knew so many douche bags could gather in one place. This is like the first time I'm looking @ SOSH and it's hilarious.

teknetic
09-19-07, 11:46 PM

Are we talking about the same Youk who's posted a .752 OPS in the second half? I've heard some Sox fans say "We'll be fine when we get Ramirez and Youk back." Is he an upgrade over Hinske? probably, but he hasn't been good at since May.

JSG
09-19-07, 11:48 PM
I would love nothing more than to pound the Jays this weekend.

oh yessssssss. in particular, with all the BS they have pulled w a rod, including the plunk and that obscene video game where he gets hit and their blockhead fans start cheering, i would love to see the MVP break out of his mini funk and crush them into submission !!!

StatenIslandYankee
09-19-07, 11:49 PM
http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/BDD_NYY_mirror_bdd_9.19.07.jpg

Yankees13
09-19-07, 11:54 PM
We're coming for you Boston, our style is impetuous, our defense is impregnable, and we're just ferocious.

Reggievision
09-19-07, 11:56 PM
We're coming for you Boston, our style is impetuous, our defense is impregnable, and we're just ferocious.

ALL PRAISE BE TO JEETAH!

jcarey
09-20-07, 12:04 AM

Well if we get Pavano back, I'd say it's a wash.

jcarey
09-20-07, 12:05 AM

Don't get ahead of yourself. My girlfriend said she was impregnable and she could not have been more wrong... :mad:

EyeRis
09-20-07, 12:09 AM
http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/BDD_NYY_mirror_bdd_9.19.07.jpg

i think the yanks are already in the backseat....

Yankyfan
09-20-07, 12:09 AM
Just got home from the game and the stadium was rocking..When they put up the Boston score the crowd erupted...I haven't felt the energy that high in the stadium inquite a while..:P

Dynasties R Forever
09-20-07, 12:13 AM

Oh, woe is us.. the Red Sox are collapsing. That's really funny.

:wtf:

Dynasties R Forever
09-20-07, 12:18 AM
Nah, care to post some?

EnderSwarm

It's a Yankee world. We're just falling apart in it.

Yankyfan
09-20-07, 12:24 AM
I can't wait to hear Mad Dog cry at 1 pm....:D

OldYankeeFan
09-20-07, 12:25 AM
A few more quotes (that had no F bombs) from our RS friends on that "other" forum

"This game, series and thread is a Yankees fan wet dream."

"This team has been in first place for a 140 days.To end the season like this is unacceptable.Bleed I know you live in Boston, but I live in SW CT and listening to all the arrogant MFY fans makes me want to vomit, eat it and vomit again!!! "<!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_1066174-->

"Better damn well hope Detroit loses 3 more games."

"So the struggling offense is the reason Gagne, Oki, and Papelbon are in desperate need of diapers right now?"

"Time for your mouthful of humble pie, Paps. Russ freaking Adams!? My god."

"Yankee fans are going to be even more insufferable tomorrow. That's what I hate the most about this situation"

"This team has turned into 25 JD Drews."

http://newsbusters.org/static/2007/03/2007-03-19PanicButton.jpg <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_1066259--><!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_1066346-->
<!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_1066117--><!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_1066111-->

JSG
09-20-07, 12:40 AM
I think the Yankee faithful should give Russ Adams a standing ovation every at bat he has in this upcoming series, whos with me?

......... on his way BACK to the dugout ............ !!!!!!! .............. but sure, he deserves some recognition .......... !!!!

StatenIslandYankee
09-20-07, 12:41 AM
I can't wait to hear Mad Dog cry at 1 pm....:DToo bad I'm at work. I might TiVo it.

JSG
09-20-07, 12:59 AM
NEWS ITEM: RED SOX SHUT DOWN OKAJIMA FOR A FEW DAYS

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3028317

Sam18
09-20-07, 01:01 AM
NEWS ITEM: RED SOX SHUT DOWN OKAJIMA FOR A FEW DAYS

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3028317

Isn't this old news?

JSG
09-20-07, 01:05 AM
Isn't this old news?

........... i'm not sure, but the article was updated 1/2 hour ago so i posted it ...........

JSG
09-20-07, 01:09 AM
and here's one more .............

MRI on Giambi's foot negative, listed as day-to-day

Associated Press

<!-- promo plug -->
<!-- end promo plug -->

<!-- end story header --><!-- begin left column --><!-- begin page tools -->Updated: September 20, 2007, 12:06 AM ET

<!-- end page tools --><!-- begin story body --><!-- template inline -->NEW YORK -- Yankees slugger Jason Giambi (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5386) was out of the starting lineup Wednesday night and an MRI exam of his bruised right foot came back negative.

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/65x90/5386.jpg Giambi

Giambi was hit by a pitch from Baltimore's Daniel Cabrera (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=7325) in the second inning of New York's 8-5 win Monday night. The designated hitter stayed in but was lifted for a pinch runner in the eighth after his third walk of the game.
Manager Joe Torre said he was going to start Giambi at first base Tuesday but the foot was still bothering him.
The 2000 AL MVP with Oakland, Giambi missed more than two months this season because of torn tissue in his left foot. He began the day batting .243 with 14 homers and 35 RBIs in 74 games.
"Now it's just a matter of the soreness going away," Torre said after New York's 2-1 victory over Baltimore. "He's pretty uncomfortable right now so hopefully the off day helps and Friday he can come back here and get back in the swing of things."
Doug Mientkiewicz (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6138) started at first base and Shelley Duncan (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=8072) was the designated hitter for the finale of the three-game series against Baltimore.

Toaderly
09-20-07, 06:50 AM
http://www.nomaas.org/images/thankyoucanada.jpg

CallOfTheCrow
09-20-07, 07:42 AM
Never thought I'd appreciate something from Canada until these past few days.

ymike673
09-20-07, 08:01 AM
Never thought I'd appreciate something from Canada until these past few days.

Yes, But now I want the Jays to go on a 4 game losing streak!

CallOfTheCrow
09-20-07, 08:04 AM

Indeed. I want to see Halladay get rocked.

Yankees1962
09-20-07, 08:05 AM
These four games are very important as to whether the Yankees can overcome the Red Sox by sustaining their momentum.

CallOfTheCrow
09-20-07, 08:13 AM
Not going to be easy considering we're facing Halladay, McGowan, Burnett, & Litsch

yanksphan
09-20-07, 08:15 AM
Not going to be easy considering we're facing Halladay, McGowan, Burnett, & Litsch

No Litsch - Marcum.

CallOfTheCrow
09-20-07, 08:32 AM
No Litsch - Marcum.

Really? Yahoo had Litsch listed. Meh, either way....it's going to be real tough.

nemo
09-20-07, 08:39 AM

I agree. These next four games are going to be killer. They are coming off HUGE wins against the BoSox and they have nothing to lose. I hope they aren't the spoiler team this year...

How nice it would be if we could keep this division race in sight. We've gotten so close so many times, this time we are right there.... we better not blow it. We can't afford to fall one game farther than we already are. LETS DO THIS YANKEES

JSG
09-20-07, 08:41 AM
No Litsch - Marcum.

per ESPN schedule

halladay - wang
marcum - kennedy
mc gowan - clemens
burnett - hughes

some tough pitching, for sure. i had thought until the last few days that the real excitement here with the WC all but wrapped up would be to see how the rooks and clemens do, but now divisional madness is afoot. TOR is tough but if our pitching holds up why should this series be any different, go for 3/4 like it typically seems to work out this year with them. am SO glad they have the day off today. also need to get some work done .................. !!!

CallOfTheCrow
09-20-07, 08:48 AM
I especially don't like this considering the BoSox got Tampa Bay.

JSG
09-20-07, 08:49 AM
MEMO TO KNICKFAN OR SITE ADMIN

i'm not sure the final countdown thread is working right. it seems stuck on post #904 from just after noon yesterday, at least on my machine, tho new posts are indicated on the right margin. thanks.

aeromac76
09-20-07, 08:56 AM

Hey we are a lock for October, this is all bonus to me..

Great email I saw from a friend to a Boston fan:

Dear Boston Red Sox
Thanks so much for subletting our American League East penthouse over the summer. Due to some lingering health issues and some other unavoidable circumstances, we were unable to spend our usual amount of time this summer in our favorite hangout at the top of the division. Early this summer, when we usually move in, things were just not where they needed to be in our lives, so we had to remain in other locations, the time we spent in that grimy basement apartment usually occupied by our mutual friend Tampa was an especially difficult time.
Much to our own good fortune, thank goodness, things are better for us now.
But it is nice to know that our place was taken good care of in our absence. Sometime this weekend, or early next week, we do expect to be able to move back in. I know it is late in the summer vacation season, but we feel like as long as we can get in there and stay that last week, it will be worth it.
Thanks again for your help, and again, if you could vacate the premises and make sure it is clean as we move in the next few days, that would be great..

Your Always..
The New York Yankees

nemo
09-20-07, 08:57 AM

Well, we need to look at it this way... in the end, it doesn't matter, we are in the playoffs. Now we are clawing away at the division. We are so close after being so far back that it would be a huge kick in the nuts if we didn't end up getting the division. On the same note, if we take the division, we NEED to win the world series. If we don't, losing is a bigger kick in the nuts because we came back from so far, played the best baseball post ASB, and still lost the WS.

I for one, want the AL East, and then take it all from here on out. We've come to far to fall back again.

SINCE77 2
09-20-07, 08:58 AM

The Sox as presently constructed could easily lose 2-3 to Tampa. Tampa is a very dangerous team with good hitters. The Sox without Youks/Manny/Coco aren't Tampa's offensive equal. My money is on Tampa.

Edit: This is of course assuming that Manny/Coco/Youks don't play this weekend.

CallOfTheCrow
09-20-07, 08:59 AM
The Sox as presently constructed could easily lose 2-3 to Tampa. Tampa is a very dangerous team with good hitters. The Sox without Youks/Manny/Coco aren't Tampa's offensive equal. My money is on Tampa.

Touche salesman, I forgot that they had those 3 the last time around.

BonusCantos
09-20-07, 09:34 AM
When they last played at Fenway, TB should have swept them, but the Rays gave away the last 2 games.

parkerstrong
09-20-07, 09:41 AM

You seem to forget the TB bullpen. They are awful and almost anyone can hit them. Boston will still take 2 out of 3.

LouisianaLightning49
09-20-07, 09:43 AM
Edit: This is of course assuming that Manny/Coco/Youks don't play this weekend.[/quote]

They expect Youkilis back at some point over the weekend, but don't know when, and plan to sit Ortiz tomorrow night...

"With his right knee acting up again, Ortiz had just one hit in the series, and was due to get a couple of days off - the scheduled offday today, and tomorrow night, when the Sox are due to face tough Tampa lefthander Scott Kazmir." (Boston.com)

Kluivert4Ever
09-20-07, 09:47 AM
My prediction, we go 2-2 against Toronto and Boston goes 2-1 against Tampa.

We are 2 games back entering the final 6 games of the season, we go 4-2 against the Os and Devil Rays while Boston goes 3-3 versus Minnesota and Oakland.

Leaving us one game short of the division title.

mjdlight
09-20-07, 09:51 AM
They expect Youkilis back at some point over the weekend, but don't know when, and plan to sit Ortiz tomorrow night...

"With his right knee acting up again, Ortiz had just one hit in the series, and was due to get a couple of days off - the scheduled offday today, and tomorrow night, when the Sox are due to face tough Tampa lefthander Scott Kazmir." (Boston.com)[/quote]

Wait wait -- so the Sox are down to a 1.5 game lead and they're potentially not going to have Ortiz and Manny going Friday night?

Is this even possible?

We're through the looking glass, people.

CallOfTheCrow
09-20-07, 09:52 AM
When they last played at Fenway, TB should have swept them, but the Rays gave away the last 2 games.

I know, because of that atrocious bullpen.

PeteRFNY
09-20-07, 10:48 AM
Wait wait -- so the Sox are down to a 1.5 game lead and they're potentially not going to have Ortiz and Manny going Friday night?

Actually, if you look at it from Boston's point of view - either way, they are in the playoffs. Be it as the AL East Champions or the AL Wild Card. They know they are in.

It doesn't make any sense for them to kill everyone to win the Division when they really don't HAVE to. I can totally see why they would want to rest people - doesn't it make more sense to get your hurt players ready for the post-season, rather than kill them just to win the Division - when you know you are in either way?

That's what makes what the Yankees are doing SO amazing - no one is killing themselves, they're just going out and playing the way they would if they'd clinched already. Makes it even sweeter.

jpao89
09-20-07, 10:52 AM
per ESPN schedule

halladay - wang
marcum - kennedy
mc gowan - clemens
burnett - hughes

some tough pitching, for sure. i had thought until the last few days that the real excitement here with the WC all but wrapped up would be to see how the rooks and clemens do, but now divisional madness is afoot. TOR is tough but if our pitching holds up why should this series be any different, go for 3/4 like it typically seems to work out this year with them. am SO glad they have the day off today. also need to get some work done .................. !!!

Yep, tough pitching. But look at it this way, its not tougher than what the Yankees will face in the playoffs. This series will be good practice for the playoffs.

wwjdd
09-20-07, 10:58 AM
Actually, if you look at it from Boston's point of view - either way, they are in the playoffs. Be it as the AL East Champions or the AL Wild Card. They know they are in.

It doesn't make any sense for them to kill everyone to win the Division when they really don't HAVE to. I can totally see why they would want to rest people - doesn't it make more sense to get your hurt players ready for the post-season, rather than kill them just to win the Division - when you know you are in either way?

That's what makes what the Yankees are doing SO amazing - no one is killing themselves, they're just going out and playing the way they would if they'd clinched already. Makes it even sweeter.

Exactly right. As ieddyi posted in the Sox forum, this is not a case of the Sox resting healthy players in order to line things up for the postseason. It's a case of trying to stay above water while giving injured and fried players necessary days off. It's a Hobson's choice for Tito - (1) play injured players to try to win the division (risking further injury or a slower recovery) when you are overwhelmingly likely to make the playoffs anyway, or (2) rest them and make it way more likely that you lose the division lead. Not an easy choice.

But hey, that's baseball. Yanks overcame their injuries and have played amazing baseball - to their credit. Time to see if the Sox can do the same.

I Heart Jeter
09-20-07, 11:01 AM
If we can go 3-1 against Toronto, the division will be ours!

LouisianaLightning49
09-20-07, 11:21 AM
Exactly right. As ieddyi posted in the Sox forum, this is not a case of the Sox resting healthy players in order to line things up for the postseason. It's a case of trying to stay above water while giving injured and fried players necessary days off. It's a Hobson's choice for Tito - (1) play injured players to try to win the division (risking further injury or a slower recovery) when you are overwhelmingly likely to make the playoffs anyway, or (2) rest them and make it way more likely that you lose the division lead. Not an easy choice.

But hey, that's baseball. Yanks overcame their injuries and have played amazing baseball - to their credit. Time to see if the Sox can do the same.

I hear what you're saying, and certainly it's more important to have Manny, Youkilis, et al ready and as close to full strength as possible for the playoffs, but don't you think that the thoughts of losing what was once "a lock" gets into the minds of the sox players/coaches/F.O./fans? Stumbling into the playoffs after being dominated by your closest rival isn't exactly an ideal way to establish confidence going forward.

Not to mention, losing home field is no small issue, what with Cleveland being about as hot as the Yanks, and the Angels always being tough at the big A. They have to try to win the division, for momentum and for home field in the playoffs. I just don't think they have the horses. Trying not to speak from a fan's perspective here (which is hard, mind you), but position by position, it seems that the Yanks simply have a better ballclub.

ymike673
09-20-07, 11:31 AM
My prediction, we go 2-2 against Toronto and Boston goes 2-1 against Tampa.

We are 2 games back entering the final 6 games of the season, we go 4-2 against the Os and Devil Rays while Boston goes 3-3 versus Minnesota and Oakland.

Leaving us one game short of the division title.

I agree. The Yankees will have to go at least 5-1 on the final road trip to have a chance to catch the sox. And I beleve Kazmir and Shields are lined up to face us in TB so those games will not be easy either.

ymike673
09-20-07, 11:33 AM
I hear what you're saying, and certainly it's more important to have Manny, Youkilis, et al ready and as close to full strength as possible for the playoffs, but don't you think that the thoughts of losing what was once "a lock" gets into the minds of the sox players/coaches/F.O./fans? Stumbling into the playoffs after being dominated by your closest rival isn't exactly an ideal way to establish confidence going forward.

Not to mention, losing home field is no small issue, what with Cleveland being about as hot as the Yanks, and the Angels always being tough at the big A. They have to try to win the division, for momentum and for home field in the playoffs. I just don't think they have the horses. Trying not to speak from a fan's perspective here (which is hard, mind you), but position by position, it seems that the Yanks simply have a better ballclub.

Since both Cleveland and LA have passed the Sox even winning the division may not insure Home Field advantage in the first round.

JSG
09-20-07, 12:09 PM
nice article re red sox bullpen, entitled Days of Blunder (!!!) ........

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?id=3028636

featuring the classic ................

Most of all, there's the matter of what fictional Yankees employee George Costanza of "Seinfeld" fame would call "shrinkage." The Boston lead in the AL East over the second-place Yanks was seven games less than three weeks ago, but has shriveled to a mere game and a half -- and only one in the loss column..................... [!!!!!!!]

BRNXBMRS
09-20-07, 12:12 PM
"... 2-1-Jays in the 7th, bases loaded, Julio Lugo at the plate with two out, looks like a routine grounder, he doesn't run it out, not running hard out of the box and he pays the price, the third out of the inning ends the rally..."-- 9.19.07, Tom Caron, NESN Extra Bases Extra

Gotta love Lugo doing his best Manny impression.

Johnny O
09-20-07, 12:17 PM
Yep, tough pitching. But look at it this way, its not tougher than what the Yankees will face in the playoffs. This series will be good practice for the playoffs.

Actually Toronto leads the AL in ERA in the 2nd half and is 2nd overall for the season. Marcum is fading and Halladay has been less than Doc-like, but Burnett & McGowan have been excellent since the break.

If they can shore up their offense for 2008, they will be very tough.

For now, it will be a good test.

wwjdd
09-20-07, 12:30 PM

I am not sure that it gets in players heads, but if it does shame on them. My main point was that I am not sure that Tito has any choice really.

Yankees1962
09-20-07, 12:33 PM
I agree. The Yankees will have to go at least 5-1 on the final road trip to have a chance to catch the sox. And I beleve Kazmir and Shields are lined up to face us in TB so those games will not be easy either.
Shields is shutdown for the rest of the season due to excessive innings pitched this year.

JSG
09-20-07, 12:43 PM
Shields is shutdown for the rest of the season due to excessive innings pitched this year.

WOW. the unthinkable has actually occurred -- and who'd a thunk this a few months ago: the yankees have the best bullpen in the AL, maybe the entire league. i am not sure anyone can match moose/kennedy/hughes + edwar + KF + V + mo + 1 or 2 missing pieces TBD. WOW !!!!

roblyo33
09-20-07, 12:48 PM

Looks like Tampa is without Carl Crawford this weekend.

roblyo33
09-20-07, 12:52 PM

Shields has been shut down for the rest of the year.....per the St. Pete Times

metalyank
09-20-07, 04:03 PM
Stop with all the permutation. Just remember that from here on out, as long as the Yankees lose only 1 game less than the Red Sox, we win the Division!

ajra21
09-20-07, 04:05 PM
had we swept the red sox at the weekend, would we have been in first place now?

metalyank
09-20-07, 04:09 PM
had we swept the red sox at the weekend, would we have been in first place now?
Nope, down by .5. Sox played 1 game more.

nhyankeefan
09-20-07, 04:11 PM

No, we would have been up by .5 game if we swept them. Our record would be 89-63 and there's would be 89-64.

THEBOSS84
09-20-07, 04:14 PM

Wrong - we would be in first by .5.

Think about it, it's a 2 game swing. we would have one less loss than we do now and one more win, while the sox would have one more loss and one less win.

ajra21
09-20-07, 04:14 PM
wow, i've always believed that we'd make the playoffs, even when everyone was flipping out but i seriously thought we'd get this close to first.

i knew the red sox had an inferiority complex but this is ridiculous.

ymike673
09-20-07, 04:16 PM
Looks like Tampa is without Carl Crawford this weekend.

But will they be without him next week?

Cambridge
09-20-07, 04:21 PM
wow, i've always believed that we'd make the playoffs, even when i knew the red sox had an inferiority complex but this is ridiculous.

There's no doubt that a lot of their fans do. I don't think the same can be said for the guys wearing uniforms though, which is what ultimately matters.