PDA

View Full Version : The Official "Watching The Scoreboard" Thread 1.0

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49

b-ball-lunachick
08-22-07, 08:14 PM
Looks like Pedroia had to come out due to HBP. He got nailed pretty good. He'll be hurting a few days at the least.

jlam -- where did he get hit?

sweet_lou_14
Dice-K's pitch count is way up, too. Timlin warming in the pen.

I smell blood.

CallOfTheCrow

Right above his elbow it looked like. It seemed like his arm was hanging.

JimmyTheGent

Left elbow, looked like it was right on the point of the elbow.

b-ball-lunachick
Not sure where to post this (or if it's been posted already) but Sheffield will miss all 4 games vs the Yankees this weekend...

NavyTim
08-22-07, 08:16 PM
Looks like Pedroia had to come out due to HBP. He got nailed pretty good. He'll be hurting a few days at the least if not more serious. He was in serious pain.

X-rays were neg. Pain and bruise. Will prob miss 1-2 knowing Tito.

BonusCantos
Not sure where to post this (or if it's been posted already) but Sheffield will miss all 4 games vs the Yankees this weekend... Quel dommage.

sweet_lou_14
Cue the clown car music in Tampa Bay as Gomes ends up on second.

iWant27
08-22-07, 08:17 PM
its amazing how those no good Os give tough time to yankees . they are one of the worst teams in the league but when they play yankees , they play like their asses on fire or their jobs on line or something .

b-ball-lunachick
08-22-07, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the info on Pedroia guys..sounds like a pretty bad hit...yikes!

yankeefreak04
08-22-07, 08:19 PM
I really wish Texas would have saved some of them runs for their weekend series against Seattle...

b-ball-lunachick
08-22-07, 08:23 PM
look at this picture of pedroia -- sale on eye black? :D

http://www.thediamondangle.com/archive/may04/asu/2b_big.jpg

keg411
08-22-07, 08:23 PM
I really wish Texas would have saved some of them runs for their weekend series against Seattle...

And TIIC said the Yankees had a freakin' easy schedule....

If the Tampa bullpen holds and the Yankees win tonight, I will be a happy girl :).

ETA:

look at this picture of pedroia -- sale on eye black?

Wow, that pictures is... unfortunate looking.

teknetic
08-22-07, 08:24 PM
Refuse to believe an actual woman gave birth to the Upton brothers, genetics lab gets my nod.

CallOfTheCrow
08-22-07, 08:24 PM

"Hmmm, I wonder if I'll get a Harry Potter toy with my Happy Meal......."

NavyTim
08-22-07, 08:29 PM

It's actually the same eye black the others use. It just looks wider as he is only 3'5".

spyglass
08-22-07, 08:31 PM
Rangers already up 3-0 in Game 2.

frostdude1
08-22-07, 08:34 PM
Rangers already up 3-0 in Game 2.

3 more to break the AL Record for doubleheader right ?

BonusCantos
08-22-07, 08:34 PM
Bad day to be a Baltimore pitcher.

CallOfTheCrow
08-22-07, 08:37 PM
1st & 3rd 1 out for Tampa

MassNYYfan
B.J Upton!!

Finally. If that holds up, he is welcome to return to his hometown again.

NavyTim
FYI: Front page of the USA Today is a story titled:

"It really is a Red Sox Nation" - detailing about the popularity of the Sox, and the draw that they have across the nation as the country's most popular team.

CallOfTheCrow
08-22-07, 08:39 PM
lol @ rs nation. Where was all this pre-2004?

frostdude1
08-22-07, 08:41 PM

"It really is a Red Sox Nation" - detailing about the popularity of the Sox, and the draw that they have across the nation as the country's most popular team.

arent we the most popular team ? here in canada I see yankee hats everywhere and even the media here has become red sox darlings

frostdude1
08-22-07, 08:42 PM
bases juiced ... cmon guys !! its timlin

NavyTim
08-22-07, 08:43 PM
2-1 after 7 - Timlin Ks Upton

aeromac76

I wonder which team is the leading road draw..

Not sure where I could find that info though..

CallOfTheCrow
the father of BJ & Justin Upton is a genetic jackhammer.

MassNYYfan
08-22-07, 08:44 PM
the father of BJ & Justin Upton is a genetic jackhammer.

Nah, it's that infamously nasty Chesapeake, VA water. They drank it unfiltered and mutated.

frostdude1
08-22-07, 08:45 PM
omg :(

girardi08
how do you load the bases with 1 out against timlin and not score?

Tabata
I wonder which team is the leading road draw..

Not sure where I could find that info though..

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/attendance?sort=away_avg&year=2007&seasonType=2

CallOfTheCrow
08-22-07, 08:46 PM
crispy critter down on 1 pitch

Dr. Gonzo
08-22-07, 08:48 PM
they blew that like a yankee rally two nights ago, that is a bad omen.

E-Rod
08-22-07, 08:48 PM
arent we the most popular team ? here in canada I see yankee hats everywhere and even the media here has become red sox darlings

99% of people in Brazil, don't know the rules or how you play Baseball, but they know who the Yankees are and in a menor degree who are the Dodgers, thanks to the movies and the history of the teams.

Red Sox is only Meia Vermelha in english :)

frostdude1
08-22-07, 08:53 PM
Its just media propoganda trying to make everyone think there is a team out there with a fanbase as large as the yankees ... we are still much larger !
but for the good of the game , they wanna fool people into thinking that we're not the top dog no more

NavyTim
08-22-07, 08:54 PM
Bottom 8: 2-1 TB

spyglass
08-22-07, 08:54 PM
Nick Markakis is one of the very, very bright spots for the Orioles. He's fun to watch (when he's not playing us).

frostdude1
08-22-07, 08:56 PM
tampa pitchers need to get 3 more outs :D

CallOfTheCrow
Gagne in.

girardi08
eric gagne getting booed by red sox fans at the trop

NavyTim
08-22-07, 08:57 PM
tampa pitchers need to get 3 more outs :D

Which will be following Gagne....

Dr. Gonzo
08-22-07, 08:58 PM
Its just media propoganda trying to make everyone think there is a team out there with a fanbase as large as the yankees ... we are still much larger !
but for the good of the game , they wanna fool people into thinking that we're not the top dog no moreBoston also gets a lot of road attendence since their park is so small it is one of the few chances for them to see their team. This is true for the AL east, but they are loyal fans and I am sure would schedule trips around the country to catch a team in say Cleaveland, you here them sometimes even.

The yanks draw 20,000 more a game at home then the sox, if the sox could do that I doubt their road attendence would be so high.

Also, the yankees however have transplanted new yorkers everywhere because of the simply massive population here versus Boston essentially hick town (when compared to NY).

Tabata
08-22-07, 08:59 PM
Didn't I hear once that the Yankees have somewhere between 15-20 million fans in America?

jughead
08-22-07, 08:59 PM
tampa pitchers need to get 3 more outs :DYou say that like a miracle of Christ isn't necessary to perform that achievement

spyglass
08-22-07, 09:02 PM
You say that like a miracle of Christ isn't necessary to perform that achievement
We're going to need more than just a miracle of Christ for that. We're going to need miracles from all gods of ALL religions.

CallOfTheCrow
08-22-07, 09:05 PM
pray to tom cruise & scientology.

genius-24
08-22-07, 09:06 PM
oh man, AL Reyes is pitching.

gg BoSox won

jlam
08-22-07, 09:07 PM
Unbelievable, Padres are trying to give the game back to the Mets. Totally choking. Tieing run to the plate.

edit, They hung on.

b-ball-lunachick
08-22-07, 09:10 PM
Unbelievable, Padres are trying to give the game back to the Mets. Totally choking. Tieing run to the plate.

edit, They hung on.
i'm happy about the Beltran hit -- he's on our fantasy team and has stunk it up all year...i'll take the hit and RBI! :D would have been better if Reyes had gotten on base first, but I'll take it. :)

b-ball-lunachick
08-22-07, 09:13 PM
christ on a cracker he walked Ortiz....

CallOfTheCrow
08-22-07, 09:14 PM
phenominal catch by young

sweet_lou_14
08-22-07, 09:15 PM

Except he trapped it! But he would have got the force at 2nd anyway.

b-ball-lunachick
08-22-07, 09:15 PM

yikes -- the tampa announcers "we won't tell anyone" about him trapping it...these guys are so annoying...

CallOfTheCrow
08-22-07, 09:16 PM
Except he trapped it! But he would have got the force at 2nd anyway.

Either way, ill take it.

sweet_lou_14
08-22-07, 09:17 PM
Game Over!!!!!!!!

CallOfTheCrow
08-22-07, 09:18 PM
Al Reyes, you are all that is man.

spyglass
Red Sox lose!

gregzzy22
SWEEEET

now lets take care of business

MassNYYfan
08-22-07, 09:19 PM
Varitek caps off the game with a flyout to LF to go 0-for-5 with 8 men LOB. :D

Too bad.

So sad.

hlrjr
08-22-07, 09:20 PM
beautiful!!!!

JeterForPresident
08-22-07, 09:24 PM
So this game tonight becomes a must win because of Seattle and Boston both losing. Plus a win tonight keeps us on pace with the Gauntlet.

YASS
08-22-07, 09:27 PM
Yankee fans have to be pretty encouraged if they watched the Sox game.

Brutally awful performance for a first place team. That was the kind of game they have to win, and they bent right over for the worst team in the league.

jcarey
08-22-07, 09:30 PM
at least they got a reach-around

CallOfTheCrow
08-22-07, 09:33 PM
half price at that

ajra21
08-23-07, 05:45 AM
Yankee fans have to be pretty encouraged if they watched the Sox game.

Brutally awful performance for a first place team. That was the kind of game they have to win, and they bent right over for the worst team in the league.

they win again and they'll lose again. don't judge us on the angels game on tuesday. don't judge the red sox on last night's game.

sweet_lou_14
08-23-07, 06:06 AM
they win again and they'll lose again. don't judge us on the angels game on tuesday. don't judge the red sox on last night's game.

Too late. I have already sat in mighty judgment upon the Red Sox and deemed them ... NOT WORTHY. :D ;)

sjb23
08-23-07, 07:54 AM
A few thoughts....this year's pennant race is shaping up to be very exciting....it's got a whole different feel to it because the team isn't just trying to reach the finish line and putting distance between themselves and anyone in the rear-view mirror -- this year, they are playing "catch-up" !!!....granted, it's a riskier game with the possibility of a grim outcome, but I think it's making everyone even hungrier than in years past -- the thought of no baseball in October? it's almost unacceptable...I'd really love it if the Angels could go into some sort of tailspin and get beat out by the Mariners for the division and the Yankees for the wild card....imagine, not having to deal with them at all in the post-season?...I'd love it for the same thing to happen to Detroit...I'd much rather face either Cleveland or Seattle vs. Detroit or the Angels...what I'm really hoping will happen is that after the Red-Sox series next week the Yankees are only 2 games behind or less -- that will make for a very dramatic September....wow, what a race!!!......

The Dynasty
08-23-07, 08:09 AM
A few thoughts....this year's pennant race is shaping up to be very exciting....it's got a whole different feel to it because the team isn't just trying to reach the finish line and putting distance between themselves and anyone in the rear-view mirror -- this year, they are playing "catch-up" !!!....granted, it's a riskier game with the possibility of a grim outcome, but I think it's making everyone even hungrier than in years past -- the thought of no baseball in October? it's almost unacceptable...I'd really love it if the Angels could go into some sort of tailspin and get beat out by the Mariners for the division and the Yankees for the wild card....imagine, not having to deal with them at all in the post-season?...I'd love it for the same thing to happen to Detroit...I'd much rather face either Cleveland or Seattle vs. Detroit or the Angels...what I'm really hoping will happen is that after the Red-Sox series next week the Yankees are only 2 games behind or less -- that will make for a very dramatic September....wow, what a race!!!......

That always comes around to biting us in the *ss. I just want to get into the playoffs, hitting and pitching rolling on all cylinders, preferably.

paulie102704
08-23-07, 08:14 AM

And how do you figure the lead gets down to 2, playing 4 at Detroit with the Sox playing 4 against the "Tied for last place with the Royals" White Sox? At best it will be 4 if the Yanks take 3 of 4 and the Sox split, but more than likely scenario is it stays pat or the Sox pick up a game. With 6 games remaining, say it is 3-3, which based on recent years, is a pretty good bet. That is 29 games to make up 5 or 6 games, with the Sox playing Tampa 6 times in September. Let's get a little realistic before we start declaring this a "race"....

ajra21
08-23-07, 08:21 AM
Too late. I have already sat in mighty judgment upon the Red Sox and deemed them ... NOT WORTHY. :D ;)

ha-ha-ha!

of course they're not worthy.

BRONXBOMBERS06
08-23-07, 08:25 AM
And how do you figure the lead gets down to 2, playing 4 at Detroit with the Sox playing 4 against the "Tied for last place with the Royals" White Sox? At best it will be 4 if the Yanks take 3 of 4 and the Sox split, but more than likely scenario is it stays pat or the Sox pick up a game. With 6 games remaining, say it is 3-3, which based on recent years, is a pretty good bet. That is 29 games to make up 5 or 6 games, with the Sox playing Tampa 6 times in September. Let's get a little realistic before we start declaring this a "race"....

I say the Sox split in Chicago. We take 3 of 4 in Detroit.

Beckett vs Danks

Schilling vs Garland

Wakefield vs Buehrle

Lester vs Vasquez

ajra21
08-23-07, 08:31 AM

Beckett vs Danks

Schilling vs Garland

Wakefield vs Buehrle

Lester vs Vasquez

i think the red sox win will this 3-1 but you never know.

paulie102704
08-23-07, 08:33 AM

Beckett vs Danks

Schilling vs Garland

Wakefield vs Buehrle

Lester vs Vasquez

OK, well that would put it at 4 then, which is the best case scenario I played out in my prior post. But realistically, with Hughes and his inconsitencies as a very young pitcher and Mussina going, you realy feel that confident that the Yanks will take 3 of 4? I mean not impossible, but 6 out of 8 from Detroit in a week, with these 4 in Detroit seems like a tall order. I really think both teams split, then you take the three games out of the equation with the Sox, and we are now down to 28 games to make up 4/5 games (Depending on which way the series goes), with 6 of those games for the Sox against the D Triple AAA's, who they are 9-3 against.

BRONXBOMBERS06
08-23-07, 09:06 AM
OK, well that would put it at 4 then, which is the best case scenario I played out in my prior post. But realistically, with Hughes and his inconsitencies as a very young pitcher and Mussina going, you realy feel that confident that the Yanks will take 3 of 4? I mean not impossible, but 6 out of 8 from Detroit in a week, with these 4 in Detroit seems like a tall order. I really think both teams split, then you take the three games out of the equation with the Sox, and we are now down to 28 games to make up 4/5 games (Depending on which way the series goes), with 6 of those games for the Sox against the D Triple AAA's, who they are 9-3 against.

I like our pitching matchups vs Detroit ;

Clemens vs Miller

Wang vs Bonderman

Hughes vs Jurrjens

Mussina vs Verlander

Only game they have an advantage is game 4 with Verlander, Yes ?

paulie102704
08-23-07, 09:48 AM

Clemens vs Miller

Wang vs Bonderman

Hughes vs Jurrjens

Mussina vs Verlander

Well the way Wang has pitched the last month, I expect that one to be high scoring. Wang better have good defense behind them if the Yanks want to escape. I do think the Yanks have the edge in game one, but Miller is a hard throwing lefty the Yanks (I think) are seeing the first time. Should take that but it is far from a guarantee. The Hughes/Jurrjens match up is intriguing. In terms of talent and the bright future, there is obviously NO compariosn. But Jurrjens has pitched well. They are both young, so I would go with the pure talent, but the kid is at home. That is why I think this series goes a split. I mean Mussina has spit the bed, but Verlander hasn;t been lighting it up lately either. I see a lot of offense this weekend....Could come down to the BP with Zumaya vs. Joba....

YASS
08-23-07, 10:34 AM

Clemens vs Miller

Wang vs Bonderman

Hughes vs Jurrjens

Mussina vs Verlander

Andrew Miller was pretty nasty when the Sox saw him.

Metroidman
08-23-07, 11:01 AM
Andrew Miller was pretty nasty when the Sox saw him.

So was Edwin Jackson ;)

YASS
08-23-07, 11:05 AM
So was Edwin Jackson ;)

By that I guess you're implying that the Sox are so inept at the plate that they can't hit anybody, and that's partially true. When their bats go cold, it really doesn't matter who they're facing.

But that wasn't the case with Miller on the mound. He actually was nasty, and the Yankees might think so, too; they've had trouble with lefthanders in the past, no?

Metroidman
08-23-07, 11:09 AM
By that I guess you're implying that the Sox are so inept at the plate that they can't hit anybody, and that's partially true. When their bats go cold, it really doesn't matter who they're facing.

But that wasn't the case with Miller on the mound. He actually was nasty, and the Yankees might think so, too; they've had trouble with lefthanders in the past, no?

Yea. I dont doube Miller will be a touch matchup but I think we can get him out of the game in 6 and toy with the Tigers pen for 2 out of 3 Zumayaless innings

Kdelle
08-23-07, 11:44 AM

The Yankees also have 6 left with the DRays.

sweet_lou_14
08-23-07, 11:52 AM
Curious to know if anybody cares who wins the Detroit-Cleveland game. I'm rooting for Cleveland because I want them to make it to the playoffs over Detroit, and also because the Yankees have a chance to create some real separation between themselves and Detroit this week. That would leave Seattle as the one real obstacle to securing a playoff spot.

But whoever wins, hopefully it's a 16-inning affair in which Detroit burns up its pen.

Squid
08-23-07, 11:56 AM
Curious to know if anybody cares who wins the Detroit-Cleveland game. I'm rooting for Cleveland because I want them to make it to the playoffs over Detroit, and also because the Yankees have a chance to create some real separation between themselves and Detroit this week. That would leave Seattle as the one real obstacle to securing a playoff spot.

But whoever wins, hopefully it's a 16-inning affair in which Detroit burns up its pen.

I don't care. Too many variables to think about. I'm just glad they're playing each other.

Yankees13
08-23-07, 12:00 PM

The Yankees are the most popular team in the country (and the world, for baseball). It's not even worth arguing. The Sox are/were the chic team, and they do have a big fanbase, but the Yankees will always be the most popular team.

Spiker101
08-23-07, 12:30 PM

Yep. If Detroit loses today and if the Yanks should take three of four this weekend, the Tigers would find themselves five games behind with 31 to play. That'd a big mountain to climb with the sked the Yanks have in September.

Mark19
08-23-07, 12:51 PM
I really hope the Cleveland-Detroit game goes to extras and Zumaya throws 40 pitches. I want no part of that kid this weekend.

JavyVazquezIsSick
08-23-07, 12:56 PM
Beckett is getting blasted tonight, I can feel it.

sweet_lou_14
08-23-07, 01:40 PM
Beckett is getting blasted tonight, I can feel it.

I would like for Jim Thome to go on a tear this whole weekend.

He's never been a Yankee and he was on those Cleveland teams that gave the Yankees such battles ... but he is probably my favorite non-Yankee player to watch. That swing is something to see.

(There's a very old former teammate of Lou Gehrig in the Yankeeography who says Thome is the player today whose swing most resembles Gehrig's. Wow.)

justtxyank
08-23-07, 01:46 PM
The Yankees are the most popular team in the country (and the world, for baseball). It's not even worth arguing. The Sox are/were the chic team, and they do have a big fanbase, but the Yankees will always be the most popular team.

I haven't seen any numbers, but I think it's certainly possible that the Sox have surpassed the Yankees in terms of positive popularity in the United States.

Spiker101
08-23-07, 01:48 PM
I haven't seen any numbers, but I think it's certainly possible that the Sox have surpassed the Yankees in terms of positive popularity in the United States.

The Sox have become the surrogate for anti-Yankee fans, which has always been the majority.

nhyankeefan
08-23-07, 01:50 PM
So far Robertson has thrown 75 pitches through 7 2/3 innings. This game will have to go about 15 innings at this rate for it to hurt the Detriot bullpen.

RIYankee23
08-23-07, 02:28 PM
Well the way Wang has pitched the last month, I expect that one to be high scoring. Wang better have good defense behind them if the Yanks want to escape. I do think the Yanks have the edge in game one, but Miller is a hard throwing lefty the Yanks (I think) are seeing the first time. Should take that but it is far from a guarantee. The Hughes/Jurrjens match up is intriguing. In terms of talent and the bright future, there is obviously NO compariosn. But Jurrjens has pitched well. They are both young, so I would go with the pure talent, but the kid is at home. That is why I think this series goes a split. I mean Mussina has spit the bed, but Verlander hasn;t been lighting it up lately either. I see a lot of offense this weekend....Could come down to the BP with Zumaya vs. Joba....

I love the defeatist attitude you have. You scold those who have the nerve to say we still have a shot at the division and assume that Wang is going to continue to struggle. Like it's unreasonanable to expect our staff ace to start pitching well again!

The fact is that we do have the advantage in three out of the four pitching mathups this weekend and Verlander hasn't exactly been unhittable lately. Not to mention that Detroit has been in an absoluate free-fall since the All Star Break.

Mark19
08-23-07, 02:42 PM
Looks like I got my wish. Pitchers duel in Detroit goes to extras and I imagine that Zumaya won't be available tomorrow.

Kluivert4Ever
08-23-07, 02:45 PM
Bases loaded 1 out for Zumaya, 22 pitches.

Kluivert4Ever
08-23-07, 02:49 PM
Bases loaded 2 outs, 27 pitches for Zumaya.

sweet_lou_14
08-23-07, 02:50 PM
Kenny Lofton comes through against Zumaya?

Who would have thought.

RIYankee23
08-23-07, 02:51 PM
Couldn't have gone any better today. ;)

sweet_lou_14
Now 3-0. Go Tribe!

Kluivert4Ever
3-0, Indians.

Zumaya at 30 pitches.

elsupremo2
08-23-07, 02:52 PM
Go tribe!!

sweet_lou_14
Is this Zumaya's first day back?

Talk about abusing the guy ... he might be available only one of the 4 games against us.

Clemens831
3-0, Indians.

Zumaya at 30 pitches.

Am I the only one who's not really all that scared of Zumaya?

Mark19
08-23-07, 02:53 PM
I really hope the Cleveland-Detroit game goes to extras and Zumaya throws 40 pitches. I want no part of that kid this weekend.

Looks like today was my lucky day!

sweet_lou_14
08-23-07, 02:54 PM

If there was a way to literally face Zumaya with Joba, I really wouldn't be scared. :)

But seriously, coming off the DL it's hard to imagine he'll be what he was last year during this weekend series.

The Dynasty
08-23-07, 02:55 PM

I have a healthy respect for him.

genius-24
Kenny Lofton comes through against Zumaya?

Who would have thought.

Chris Gomez comes through against Zumaya?

Who would have thought.

;)

sweet_lou_14
Kind of rooting for Detroit to tie it so we can see some more innings here.

The Dynasty
08-23-07, 02:56 PM

Good thinking, Lou.

Go Tigers!
Go Tribe!

;) :D

THEBOSS84
08-23-07, 02:57 PM
Chris Gomez comes through against Zumaya?

Who would have thought.

;)

I believe Gomez hits Mo too.

TheInfallibleOne
heres to hoping the tigers tie it!

Show me a classic Borowski blown save, especially with polanco casey and maggs due up

elsupremo2

About 4 more innings would be nice.

THEBOSS84
08-23-07, 02:58 PM

I'm rooting for the Tigers to lose, this way us beating up on the Tigers will mean more this weekend - pushing the 3rd place wild card team even further out of contention.

genius-24
08-23-07, 02:58 PM
Tomorrow no Zumaya.

So, Hoping Saturday is blowout Yankee win...= no Zumaya.

sweet_lou_14
08-23-07, 02:59 PM
I have a question about Leyland's lineup minus Sheff.

Why would you put Sean Casey in the three hole instead of simply moving Magglio and Guillen up to the 3-4 spots (in either order)?

Makes no sense to me but I sure hope they stick with that for the weekend.

sweet_lou_14
08-23-07, 03:00 PM
I'm rooting for the Tigers to lose, this way us beating up on the Tigers will mean more this weekend - pushing the 3rd place wild card team even further out of contention.

Yes, but only after 16 innings. :D

sweet_lou_14
08-23-07, 03:02 PM
Borowski in, Maggs doubles.

Spiker101
08-23-07, 03:03 PM
I have a question about Leyland's lineup minus Sheff.

Why would you put Sean Casey in the three hole instead of simply moving Magglio and Guillen up to the 3-4 spots (in either order)?

Makes no sense to me but I sure hope they stick with that for the weekend.

Most managers, including Torre, prefer to shift players around as little as possible, under the theory that guys get used to a role and if you disrupt them in their routine they won't perform as well. I'm not sure I buy the theory.

Spiker101
08-23-07, 03:05 PM
I can't figure out how Cleveland has gotten to this point with a guy like Borowski as its closer. I mean he stinks.

RIYankee23
08-23-07, 03:05 PM
Wow Borowski sucks.

RIYankee23
08-23-07, 03:06 PM
Wow Borowski sucks.

It's like having DFarnsworth as your closer.

sweet_lou_14
08-23-07, 03:06 PM
A single here would tie it.

sweet_lou_14
08-23-07, 03:07 PM
Game over, Tribe wins 3-1.

Spiker101
08-23-07, 03:10 PM
Best possible outcome, Detroit loses heartbreaker and Leyland used Zumaya for 26 actual pitches (excluding the intentional BB)

sweet_lou_14
08-23-07, 03:11 PM
Most managers, including Torre, prefer to shift players around as little as possible, under the theory that guys get used to a role and if you disrupt them in their routine they won't perform as well. I'm not sure I buy the theory.

I hear you, but if Abreu were out then Torre would almost certainly do one of two things:
(a) move Jeter down to the #3 spot and put someone like Melky in the #2 spot
(b) move the #5 hitter (Matsui or Giambi when he was playing regularly) up to the #3 spot

He wouldn't take his #6 hitter (Posada) and put him there ... and Posada is having a MUCH better year (particularly OBP) than Sean Casey.

genius-24
08-23-07, 03:11 PM
Kyle's value goes up...

sweet_lou_14
08-23-07, 03:13 PM
Kyle's value goes up...

Still trying to trade him?

Honestly I wonder if any more moves will happen. 8 days to go right?

genius-24
08-23-07, 03:18 PM
Still trying to trade him?

Honestly I wonder if any more moves will happen. 8 days to go right?
I actually meant in Offseason xD

Spiker101
08-23-07, 03:18 PM
Kyle's value goes up...

I hear you. Kyle to the Indians for a player to be named later, whose initials are CCS?:D

Spiker101
08-23-07, 03:24 PM
I hear you, but if Abreu were out then Torre would almost certainly do one of two things:
(a) move Jeter down to the #3 spot and put someone like Melky in the #2 spot
(b) move the #5 hitter (Matsui or Giambi when he was playing regularly) up to the #3 spot

He wouldn't take his #6 hitter (Posada) and put him there ... and Posada is having a MUCH better year (particularly OBP) than Sean Casey.

I'm guessing that Casey gets the nod because he mostly hit third for Cincy.

TheBamTino24
08-23-07, 03:57 PM
Yankees are now 3 full games ahead of Detroit in the Wild Card race. This weekend could give us great separation and make it a 2 team race with Seattle.

ajra21
08-23-07, 04:02 PM
I'm guessing that Casey gets the nod because he mostly hit third for Cincy.

sorry guys, have i missed something?

why are we discussing casey and the yankee lineup?

Spiker101
08-23-07, 04:04 PM
sorry guys, have i missed something?

why are we discussing casey and the yankee lineup?

sweet lou was wondering why Leyland has installed Casy in the three hole, instead of just moving Ordonez et al up a spot.

genius-24
08-23-07, 04:06 PM
Not intending to interept the flow of the thread

sweet lou was wondering why Leyland has installed Casy in the three hole, instead of just moving Ordonez et al up a spot.
also, due to L/R/L/R combo.

StatenIslandYankee
08-23-07, 04:11 PM
Yankees are now 3 full games ahead of Detroit in the Wild Card race. This weekend could give us great separation and make it a 2 team race with Seattle.I still think the Indians will tank and Detroit will win that Division.

NYDCYankee
08-23-07, 04:14 PM
Detroit has lost alot of games lately.

ZIM 2002
08-23-07, 04:41 PM
Let's hope Zumaya doesn't shake the rust off until after we leave Detroit!

Abe Frohman
08-23-07, 04:48 PM
I still think the Indians will tank and Detroit will win that Division.

I hope not... if we face the Tribe in postseason a sweep is SOOOO possible... detroit would be a lil more trouble.

yankeeman61
08-23-07, 07:54 PM
I hope Texas isn't tired from last night

iWant27
08-23-07, 07:59 PM
why do they call it BoSox . why not just call the team red sox . BoSox sounds so annoying and ................ty .

CallOfTheCrow
08-23-07, 08:05 PM
1-0 Seattle

Kluivert4Ever
08-23-07, 08:07 PM
Lets go Rangers, can teams start to knock around Weaver, the guy is terrible.

For every shutout inning he puts up I lose some of my sanity.

daverave
08-23-07, 08:09 PM
why do they call it BoSox . why not just call the team red sox . BoSox sounds so annoying and ................ty .

slutty?
smarty?
frosty?

can I buy a vowel? ;)

26 and counting
08-23-07, 08:10 PM
I hope not... if we face the Tribe in postseason a sweep is SOOOO possible... detroit would be a lil more trouble.

Didn't we all think we'd sweep Detroit last year? Or at least take the series in 4? After last year's debacle against the Tigers, I'm done rooting for what team to play in the postseason. The playoffs are a crapshoot anyway. With a little bad luck, it could be Cleveland sweeping us.

groovitude
08-23-07, 08:12 PM
... Well, then it fits, doesn't it?

daverave
what's going on with the BoSox? ;)
Is it raining? Would a rainout be a good thing? I would think so, it's always hard to win both ends of a DH and/or it could eliminate an off day.

iWant27
slutty?
smarty?
frosty?

can I buy a vowel? ;)

what i wrote , nyyfans.com turned into dots .

CallOfTheCrow
Exactly, there's no point to wishing to play a team let alone in the post season. Who knows? Maybe (if we make it) we'll get Anaheim & we sweep them. Ya never know.

Kluivert4Ever
08-23-07, 08:15 PM
I hate Jeff Weaver, I hope we get to face him in our series against them.

CallOfTheCrow
08-23-07, 08:16 PM
I hate Jeff Weaver, I hope we get to face him in our series against them.

Be careful what you wish for. He might pitch a CG shutout.

knickfan23
Guys, I have no idea why the White Sox, for the second time, have decided to let their fans (and the Red Sox fans) stay hostage while they wait out the rain.

This happened in May when the Yanks were in town. I was at the park and waited, along with thousands of others, for 2 1/2 hours (light rain only) only to have the game called.

Now tonight, where this area has been hit with tornado like storms for the last 5 hours, still are trying to play tonight. This is crazy. Call the game and have them play 2 tomorrow. But the White Sox dont want to do that because they dont do refunds and fans purchasing tickets for tonights game cant redeem them for another BOS-CHW game because the series is sold out.

From a Yankee perspective, a DH would be great. That would force Boston to rearrange their rotation for the Yankees series. It would make them have to use an inferior pitcher in one of those games next week. Beckett and Schilling pitching in a DH knocks one of them out. Or, if they play tonight and end up getting rained out anyway, then its a lost start for Beckett and they still have to play two the next day.

LeapsNbounds
Exactly, there's no point to wishing to play a team let alone in the post season. Who knows? Maybe (if we make it) we'll get Anaheim & we sweep them. Ya never know.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Considering they would be the home team we would be D-E-A-D.

CallOfTheCrow
08-23-07, 08:17 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Considering they would be the home team we would be D-E-A-D.

Possibly, but anything can happen. We've seen weirder things happen in baseball.

NYDCYankee
08-23-07, 08:18 PM
From a Yankee perspective, a DH would be great. That would force Boston to rearrange their rotation for the Yankees series. It would make them have to use an inferior pitcher in one of those games next week. Beckett and Schilling pitching in a DH knocks one of them out. Or, if they play tonight and end up getting rained out anyway, then its a lost start for Beckett and they still have to play two the next day.

For sure, I want the rain to keep pouring down.

iWant27
08-23-07, 08:19 PM
can we call them BooSox .

Kluivert4Ever
08-23-07, 08:25 PM
can we call them BooSox .

Or, BooTox.

NYDCYankee
08-23-07, 08:27 PM
The funny thing is they basically punted the game on Sunday against the LAA so they could set up their rotation for the Yankees series.

I really hope they get rained out tonight and their plans get mucked up.

Kluivert4Ever
08-23-07, 08:30 PM
Wilkerson takes Weaver deep, 2-1 Rangers:)

CallOfTheCrow
08-23-07, 08:31 PM
For the time being, the world is in sync.

keg411
08-23-07, 08:32 PM
Rangers take the lead on a 2-Run HR by Wilkerson.

I hope the Rangers get really hot. 1) Because the Yankees don't play them, 2) Because they're so bad they're not challanging for anything and 3) They have games a whole bunch of games against Seattle and the Angels, plus they have a series with Detroit.

umpsrconferring
08-23-07, 08:34 PM
The funny thing is they basically punted the game on Sunday against the LAA so they could set up their rotation for the Yankees series.

I really hope they get rained out tonight and their plans get mucked up.

That wasn't to set it up for the Yankee series. That was to give everyone an extra days rest and have Wakefield pitch in Tampa, where he's unhittable. Furthermore, Tavarez pitched a perfectly good game and should have won, so they hardly "punted" it. The Red Sox would almost certainly have to be passed by the Angels to miss the playoffs, so why would they punt a game against them? I haven't heard anyone - with the exception of Yankee fans - suggest they were adjusting the rotation to deal with the Yankees. None of it makes sense.

teknetic
08-23-07, 08:43 PM
So if the Sawx game gets rained out whats the probable rotation for their series at the Stadium?

CallOfTheCrow
08-23-07, 08:46 PM
salty hr!

3-1 texas

knickfan23
08-23-07, 08:54 PM
So if the Sawx game gets rained out whats the probable rotation for their series at the Stadium?

Well, Dice K would still start Tuesday and Beckett would go Wednesday. Now Thursday is a different matter where you could probably see Wakefield instead of Schilling as he would still be pitching on full rest.

TheBamTino24
08-23-07, 08:55 PM
Well, Dice K would still start Tuesday and Beckett would go Wednesday. Now Thursday is a different matter where you could probably see Wakefield instead of Schilling as he would still be pitching on full rest.

KF23, how's the weather in Chicago? Heard awful.

CallOfTheCrow
08-23-07, 08:57 PM
Loe gets out of the jam, still 3-1 good guys

girardi08
08-23-07, 08:58 PM
wagner in the process of blowing a save

MunsonNY15
08-23-07, 08:58 PM

Thunderstorming still. Game is still in a RD.
Here's a local radar: http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=weather&id=4425999

I can't see them playing even if it stops raining. It's been coming down in buckets all afternoon and evening; and that's on top of several days of rain.

Heidi

knickfan23
08-23-07, 09:01 PM

We almost had a tornado around 4pm and the buckets of rain have been coming down in parts. We've had 3 parts of it so far tonight. So much so that the power was short circuited at my job and we got to leave early. And then when i went to my other job, the weather was bad enough to where we closed down an hour ago and I was able to go home.

It has slowed down now. But there's still about a 70% chance of strong storms for tonight. There is really no point in them playing tonight because if they do, it will get rained out.

yankees135
08-23-07, 09:02 PM

if they had the double header tomorrow, wouldn't everything stay the same due to the off day?

YankeePride1967
08-23-07, 09:05 PM
if they had the double header tomorrow, wouldn't everything stay the same due to the off day?

I believe so. What would be interesting is if they played the DH Saturday. Another thought, if Chicago is off Monday, they could play it then to avoid a DH. I'm going to look that up now.

EDIT: Chicago is playing a makeup game vs. Tampa Bay Monday already. So the DH would be either tomorrow or Saturday. Most likely tomorrow to avoid FOX Saturday.

knickfan23
08-23-07, 09:05 PM

You know, you are correct on that. I keep thinking the series starts on Monday instead of Tuesday. We have the wrap-around game on Monday which throws me off.

In that case, the DH doesnt hurt them at all. However, if you believe the adage of "doubleheaders are mostly split", you can count the Red Sox down for one loss tomorrow.

SheffRocks11
08-23-07, 09:08 PM

The thing is, Beckett and Daisuke don't scare me. Neither do Schilling or wakefield for that matter.

CallOfTheCrow
08-23-07, 09:10 PM
wagner blows the save now hoffman does

YASS
08-23-07, 09:10 PM
Last I heard, they were planning to start the Bos/Chi game sometime between 10:15 and 10:30 EDT.

With the nasty forecast for tomorrow, I don't think they have any choice but to try to get it in. Otherwise they might be looking at two consecutive doubleheaders Saturday and Sunday, and I think both teams would have a problem agreeing to do that.

What's the rule on that, anyway? Do teams have to agree to a makeup schedule in cases like this? I think they'd prefer to lose both games and reschedule post-regular season if necessary.

MunsonNY15
08-23-07, 09:12 PM
With the nasty forecast for tomorrow, I don't think they have any choice but to try to get it in.

Actually, on Saturday it's only supposed to rain in the morning. The afternoon and evening should be nice.

EDIT: Disregard. I was thinking tomorrow was Saturday. Guess I'm too eager for the weekend :)
You're right. Friday is supposed to be stormy again.

Heidi

CallOfTheCrow
08-23-07, 09:13 PM
bases juiced 1 out for seattle

YASS
Actually, on Saturday it's only supposed to rain in the morning. The afternoon and evening should be nice.

Heidi

Thanks for the update, Heidi. I had heard different earlier in the evening.

YankeePride1967
Last I heard, they were planning to start the Bos/Chi game sometime between 10:15 and 10:30 EDT.

With the nasty forecast for tomorrow, I don't think they have any choice but to try to get it in. Otherwise they might be looking at two consecutive doubleheaders Saturday and Sunday, and I think both teams would have a problem agreeing to do that.

What's the rule on that, anyway? Do teams have to agree to a makeup schedule in cases like this? I think they'd prefer to lose both games and reschedule post-regular season if necessary.

Taking an educated guess that this is Boston's last trip in, I think MLB would make them play consecutive DH's under that scenario. Unless there is a mutual off-day before the end of the year they would then be able to only play one DH. But MLB has maintained a policy (some to the Yanks detriment in recent years) of requiring games be played if at all possible (in games affecting the pennant race.

knickfan23
08-23-07, 09:15 PM

Heidi

Heidi, this is the same thing the White Sox did to us last time when we went. They've gotten their beer and food money along with parking (who in their right mind would have made that trip in the weather) and have had people waiting for the last 2 plus hours (more like 3) for a game that more than likely will be rained out if they play it anyway.

Its a joke.

Meecham4ever
08-23-07, 09:16 PM
The thing is, Beckett and Daisuke don't scare me. Neither do Schilling or wakefield for that matter.

None of them scare ME either...of course, I don't bat against them, or interact with them at all really...to be perfectly frank, I'm NOT SPEAKING to the Red Sux pitching staff! :mad:

PS Do you think they're scared of our pitching staff?

LeapsNbounds
08-23-07, 09:16 PM
3-3 in Texas. Seattle Bases Juiced, 1 out.

26 and counting
08-23-07, 09:17 PM
I wish Texas saved some runs for this series against Seattle.

teknetic
08-23-07, 09:20 PM
Loe is all sorts of horrible, lead wasn't gonna hold.

26 and counting
6-3 Seattle on an Ichiro bases clearing double.

SheffRocks11
None of them scare ME either...of course, I don't bat against them, or interact with them at all really...to be perfectly frank, I'm NOT SPEAKING to the Red Sux pitching staff! :mad:

PS Do you think they're scared of our pitching staff?

I don't know about the rest, but they're probably not scared of Mussina. But I don't think he's pitching against them. (Not sure)

To be honest I think Pettitte, Clemmens, Wang, Hughes
is better than Beckett, Schilling, Daisuke, Wakefield

genius-24
08-23-07, 09:21 PM
6-3 Seattle on an Ichiro bases clearing double.
oh boy..

LeapsNbounds
Loe is all sorts of horrible, lead wasn't gonna hold.

I thought Texas would MURDER Weaver.

Guess not.

sweet_lou_14
Thanks, Buck, for sticking with Loe until he not only let them tie the game but go ahead by three. Genius.

Mark19
I can't wait for Seattle to stop playing scrubs.

Kluivert4Ever
Good managing.

Effing moron.

genius-24
08-23-07, 09:22 PM
Thanks, Buck, for sticking with Loe until he not only let them tie the game but go ahead by three. Genius.

You mean Ron...Right?

LeapsNbounds
08-23-07, 09:23 PM

Geez, even when Buck Showalter isn't employed its his fault. It is probably A-rod's fault IMO.

YASS
08-23-07, 09:23 PM
Newest update from Comcast SportsNet in Chicago:

Still raining hard, no official word on a postponement. But if they don't get the game in tonight (and it seems very unlikely that they will), there'll be a day-night DH tomorrow with the first game at 1pm CDT.

No word yet on changes in pitching matchups should that occur, but I doubt either pitcher has warmed up, so today's scheduled starters should be able to go in the opener.

LeapsNbounds
08-23-07, 09:24 PM
Vidro goes deep 8-3 M's

blankfrack
08-23-07, 09:26 PM
Ouch. Even Vidro got in on the act there, that guy has as much power as an electric car.

sweet_lou_14
08-23-07, 09:27 PM
Geez, even when Buck Showalter isn't employed its his fault. It is probably A-rod's fault IMO.

Guess I'm not up on my Rangers trivia ... I could have sworn Buck was still in there. :o

girardi08
08-23-07, 09:27 PM
boy, met fans are brutal. wagner blows a save and he gets booed off the field. heilman gives up the lead and he gets booed off the field.

LuisTiant
08-23-07, 09:28 PM
Unbelievable.

Babe Rules
08-23-07, 09:28 PM
Vidro goes deep 8-3 M's :-po'd-:

SheffRocks11
08-23-07, 09:30 PM
what the heck? Why couldn't the rangers have scored thirty tonight instead?

knickfan23
08-23-07, 09:32 PM
Game in Chicago has been postponed.

Makeup date to be announced.

YankeePride1967
08-23-07, 09:33 PM
Game in Chicago has been postponed.

Makeup date to be announced.

If it hasn't been announced yet, then I'm wondering if it will be tomorrow?

26 and counting
08-23-07, 09:34 PM
boy, met fans are brutal. wagner blows a save and he gets booed off the field. heilman gives up the lead and he gets booed off the field.

:lol:

MunsonNY15
08-23-07, 09:34 PM
Heidi, this is the same thing the White Sox did to us last time when we went. They've gotten their beer and food money along with parking (who in their right mind would have made that trip in the weather) and have had people waiting for the last 2 plus hours (more like 3) for a game that more than likely will be rained out if they play it anyway.

Its a joke.

Yeah, par for the course for Reinsdorf and Co. And the fans tonight don't even have an NBA playoff game to watch on the jumbotron! LOL

Heidi

YASS
08-23-07, 09:35 PM
If it hasn't been announced yet, then I'm wondering if it will be tomorrow?

During the last update I heard before the postponement, they said there'd be a day-night DH tomorrow with the first game at 1pm.

Not official, of course, but if the weather allows, that's what I'd expect to see.

BklynYankees
08-23-07, 09:38 PM
seattle has got this game in the bag

YankeePride1967
08-23-07, 09:38 PM
During the last update I heard before the postponement, they said there'd be a day-night DH tomorrow with the first game at 1pm.

Not official, of course, but if the weather allows, that's what I'd expect to see.

With the forecast for the weekend I think they would definitely be best served to try to get it in tomorrow.

ericns1
08-23-07, 09:42 PM
Thanks a lot Jeff Weaver - now you pitch well - and thansk a lot Texas - couldn't you have saved half of those 30 runs for series?

daverave
08-23-07, 09:44 PM

Wakefield's boring, I don't want to see him

Jace
08-23-07, 09:46 PM
Wakefield is my least favorite pitcher in the majors to watch. It feels more like roulette than a highly skilled sport, everybody's just guessing, including Wakefield. Yay, the wind is blowing the wrong way today, the Yankees crush him! Noooo, the wind is fluttering back and forth, a CG 2 hitter! fun fun

gK
08-23-07, 09:52 PM
Seattle doesn't lose very often.

LuisTiant
08-23-07, 09:53 PM

Red Sox homepage has: "Rain postponed the opener of the Red Sox-White Sox series. A day-night twin bill will be played Friday."

And Boston.com says 1:05 CT and 7:11 CT.

daverave
08-23-07, 09:53 PM
Wakefield is my least favorite pitcher in the majors to watch. It feels more like roulette than a highly skilled sport, everybody's just guessing, including Wakefield. Yay, the wind is blowing the wrong way today, the Yankees crush him! Noooo, the wind is fluttering back and forth, a CG 2 hitter! fun fun

that's what I said

:-werd-:

MunsonNY15
08-23-07, 09:54 PM
With the forecast for the weekend I think they would definitely be best served to try to get it in tomorrow.

Actually the weekend is supposed to be nice in Chicago. It's Friday that's going to be iffy: http://www.accuweather.com/forecast.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&zipcode=60601&metric=0

Heidi

JDPNYY
08-23-07, 09:56 PM
Actually the weekend is supposed to be nice in Chicago. It's Friday that's going to be iffy: http://www.accuweather.com/forecast.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&zipcode=60601&metric=0

Heidi

Where is GoRocket getting his weather info?

sweet_lou_14
08-23-07, 10:03 PM
Turned out to be a pretty lame night for watching the scoreboard. I think the Cleveland win and the Boston rainout help us slightly. Not taking Kameron Loe out as things started to unravel in the 6th led to the one big inning and Seattle won yet again. It will probably be another week or two before we finally see their schedule catch up to them.

Now the Yankees just need to take care of their own business for this huge seven-game stretch. It's gonna be fun.

BroadwayBomber55
08-23-07, 10:12 PM
Turned out to be a pretty lame night for watching the scoreboard. I think the Cleveland win and the Boston rainout help us slightly. Not taking Kameron Loe out as things started to unravel in the 6th led to the one big inning and Seattle won yet again. It will probably be another week or two before we finally see their schedule catch up to them.

Now the Yankees just need to take care of their own business for this huge seven-game stretch. It's gonna be fun.

I'm keeping an eye out on not only BOS and SEA, but also LAA in their battle against the Mariners for the AL West Title.

The Yankees also need to do their job by winning games themselves.

yankeesAZ
08-23-07, 10:18 PM
Putz getting some work in tonight.

blankfrack
08-23-07, 10:19 PM
It seems that all 9 of the Mariners' starting lineup have 50+ RBIs on the year now. That's a lot.

Metroidman
08-23-07, 10:20 PM
We gotta take care of the M's on our own

Just crush the hell out of their pitching

sweet_lou_14
08-23-07, 10:22 PM
I'm keeping an eye out on not only BOS and SEA, but also LAA in their battle against the Mariners for the AL West Title.

I forgot that LA was in fact playing tonight. Winning 3-2 over Toronto in the 5th. Go Jays.

sweet_lou_14
08-23-07, 10:25 PM
Fatt Stairs doubles, and Toronto is now up 4-3!

sweet_lou_14
08-23-07, 10:28 PM
Wild pitch and Budde throws the ball into LF, Jays up 5-3.

It amazes me how poorly the Angels are capable of playing against other teams. But not us.

Meanwhile Seattle has beaten Texas, now only 1.5 games behind LA. If Toronto hangs on, it's down to 1. Suddenly I'm reconsidering this whole rooting against Seattle thing. Go M's!!! Die, Angels!!!

BroadwayBomber55
08-23-07, 10:33 PM

It amazes me how poorly the Angels are capable of playing against other teams. But not us.

Meanwhile Seattle has beaten Texas, now only 1.5 games behind LA. If Toronto hangs on, it's down to 1. Suddenly I'm reconsidering this whole rooting against Seattle thing. Go M's!!! Die, Angels!!!

The M's could grab the AL West lead heading into their series against the Angels at home, August 27-29 before the weekend is over.

just-blaze
08-23-07, 10:33 PM

This is certainly a sudden change of events that is welcome.

I dont see how Seattle is doing it.

b-ball-lunachick
08-23-07, 10:35 PM

ironic,huh? are you watching the Angels feed? they just put up a stat --- since 2003:

Blue Jays are 25-12 against the Angels
Red Sox are 26-18
White Sox 21-20

I knew the Red Sox played very well vs them but I didn't realize they were Toronto's bitches. :D

b-ball-lunachick
08-23-07, 10:50 PM
Dang -- I'm sorry I missed Magglio hair and cap day. :D that may be one of the coolest giveaways ever -- the kids wearing them on sportscenter looked hysterical. :D

The first 15,000 fans to enter Comerica Park prior to the series finale against Cleveland at 1:05 on Thursday will take home a Magglio Ordonez cap, including his hair! The caps and signature flowing locks will be sponsored by Diet Pepsi MAX and are certain to become a unique collectible.

Even funnier is they are having Sheff hat day (obviously Sheff hats) on Monday and he won't be playing. :D

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070820&content_id=2159745&vkey=pr_det&fext=.jsp&c_id=det

gregzzy22
08-23-07, 11:28 PM
I think its rediculous the M's are winning like this. I probably hate them more than the Angels because I dont even think they deserve to be in this position.

Actually, scratch that. I definetly hate the Angels more.

emgoodman
08-23-07, 11:37 PM
I think its rediculous the M's are winning like this. I probably hate them more than the Angels because I dont even think they deserve to be in this position.

Actually, scratch that. I definetly hate the Angels more.

How does a team "deserve" to be in a good position - by spending a lot of money?

BigCheese
08-23-07, 11:38 PM
Red Sox homepage has: "Rain postponed the opener of the Red Sox-White Sox series. A day-night twin bill will be played Friday."

And Boston.com says 1:05 CT and 7:11 CT.

That dumb White Sox 7-11 endorsement rears it's ugly head...

blankfrack
08-23-07, 11:39 PM
Angels lose! Honestly, I don't see why we all think the Angels are much better than the Mariners. The M's have an excellent bullpen, a very good lineup, very good defence and their starting pitching isn't that bad (only Ramirez is a genuinely poor pitcher). There isn't a huge gap between the two teams at the moment.

emgoodman
08-23-07, 11:42 PM

LAA are 21 games over .500 - they don't just play well against the Yankees.

gregzzy22
08-23-07, 11:44 PM
How does a team "deserve" to be in a good position - by spending a lot of money?

:lol: Did I mention money anywhere?

I just think they have a crappy ball club

emgoodman
08-23-07, 11:48 PM
:lol: Did I mention money anywhere?

I just think they have a crappy ball club

You didn't mention money but I couldn't figure out on what basis you would say a club deserves their position.

Seattle obviously isn't crappy. You may be surprised that they are playing this well, but you can't say the don't deserve it. I can't say the Yankees deserve it more because they haven't played as well. At this moment, the collection of talent the Mariners organization has put together has clearly outplayed that of the Yankees.

Kluivert4Ever
08-24-07, 12:04 AM
Angels lose! Honestly, I don't see why we all think the Angels are much better than the Mariners. The M's have an excellent bullpen, a very good lineup, very good defence and their starting pitching isn't that bad (only Ramirez is a genuinely poor pitcher). There isn't a huge gap between the two teams at the moment.

I cant comment on the Mīs bullpen, except for Putz I dont even know a thing about them but I guess from the results thus far they are pretty good.

However, their lineup is not very good, they have a combined OPS of around .740, that is not very good.

I would also put Weaver in that category as a genuinely poor pitcher and both Washburn and Batista are back-end rotation starters.

Their rotation overall consists of one good pitcher, 3 number 4 or 5 starters and one who should not be anywhere near a MLB roster.
In other words, its a poor rotation.

That team is not this good, not by a long shot, the Angels are heads and shoulders better than the Mariners and it will be shown when they face of head-to-head.

umpsrconferring
08-24-07, 01:54 AM
I don't know about the rest, but they're probably not scared of Mussina. But I don't think he's pitching against them. (Not sure)

To be honest I think Pettitte, Clemmens, Wang, Hughes
is better than Beckett, Schilling, Daisuke, Wakefield

Absolutely. ERAs of 3.69,3.92,4.10,4.96 vs 3.15,3.76,4.15,4.25.

YanksForLife
08-24-07, 02:23 AM
The M's lineup is having its good days at the same time their rotation is having a good day. If you have a bad day offensively and a good pitching performance you might still lose. By having both at the same time good or bad it makes you either look better or worse than you actually are, they just happen to look better. Does any of this make sense? Somebody explained it on ESPN radio as to the reason they are over-performing and it made sense at the time.

ajra21
08-24-07, 03:33 AM
The M's lineup is having its good days at the same time their rotation is having a good day. If you have a bad day offensively and a good pitching performance you might still lose. By having both at the same time good or bad it makes you either look better or worse than you actually are, they just happen to look better. Does any of this make sense? Somebody explained it on ESPN radio as to the reason they are over-performing and it made sense at the time.

i get it (just). ;)

the mariners are starting to worry me. they are 2 games in front with 2 games in hand. the way they are going, we are gonna have to beat them with a sweep to get at that deficit.

Kluivert4Ever
08-24-07, 03:40 AM
i get it (just). ;)

the mariners are starting to worry me. they are 2 games in front with 2 games in hand. the way they are going, we are gonna have to beat them with a sweep to get at that deficit.

The deficit wont be 3 games when we play them, trust me, at worst we are 1 game behind them.

ajra21
08-24-07, 03:47 AM
The deficit wont be 3 games when we play them, trust me, at worst we are 1 game behind them.

ithought that two weeks ago bu they're still ahead of us.

i know they aren't a good team but what concerns me is, do they know they aren't a good team?

Kluivert4Ever
08-24-07, 03:52 AM
ithought that two weeks ago bu they're still ahead of us.

i know they aren't a good team but what concerns me is, do they know they aren't a good team?

Yes, but the only reason we have not passed them is this.

Of our last 13 games we have had to face.

Carmona
Bedard
A Karstens start
Verlander
3 games in Anaheim, including Escobar and Lackey

Its tough to make up ground then, if we stay within two after the Boston series we will start to make up some serious ground then.

ajra21
08-24-07, 03:53 AM
Yes, but the only reason we have not passed them is this.

Of our last 13 games we have had to face.

Carmona
Bedard
A Karstens start
Verlander
3 games in Anaheim, including Escobar and Lackey

Its tough to make up ground then, if we stay within two after the Boston series we will start to make up some serious ground then.

it all makes sense ... hope it works out.

i've believed from day one that we'll make the playoffs and i still do, i just wish we had our foot in the door already.

blankfrack
08-24-07, 05:01 AM
I cant comment on the Mīs bullpen, except for Putz I dont even know a thing about them but I guess from the results thus far they are pretty good.

However, their lineup is not very good, they have a combined OPS of around .740, that is not very good.

I would also put Weaver in that category as a genuinely poor pitcher and both Washburn and Batista are back-end rotation starters.

Their rotation overall consists of one good pitcher, 3 number 4 or 5 starters and one who should not be anywhere near a MLB roster.
In other words, its a poor rotation.

That team is not this good, not by a long shot, the Angels are heads and shoulders better than the Mariners and it will be shown when they face of head-to-head.

They have a team OPS of .769 so I'm not sure where .740 comes from. That's good for 4th in the AL despite playing half of their games in one of the most extreme pitcher's parks in MLB. This isn't even taking into account their numbers since the All Star Game (an .800 team OPS) which would put them as second in the AL behind only the Yankees - again, playing half their games in an extreme pitcher's park. This month their team OPS has been a ridiculous .901.

Their bullpen I know a bit about because I see my fair share of Mariners' games living in Washington. Putz everyone is aware of, Brandon Morrow has one of the best fastballs of any relief pitcher out there, George Sherrill has (up until recently) been close to unhittable, O'Flaherty and Green are both above average. There's no question that those 5 guys combined are amongst the best group of relief pitchers on any team.

That leaves the starting pitching which nobody would argue is a great rotation, but I still think we're exaggerating how bad it is. Felix Hernandez has been one of the best pitchers in the AL this year whether his ERA tells you that story or not. His xFIP is second in the league - ahead of Santana, Beckett, Lackey and everyone else not named Erik Bedard. Washburn and Batista are serviceable number three/four pitchers and Weaver has been a completely different pitcher since he came off the DL - he's consistently kept them in games for about 3 months now and has a 3.35 ERA since he came back. Overall that gives you one very good pitcher, one very poor pitcher and three average ones - not a great rotation but an average one and given the contribution from the bullpen and the offence it's no surprise to me that they're winning a lot of games.

sweet_lou_14
08-24-07, 06:06 AM
LA and Seattle are now tied in the loss column ... three games ahead of NY and two behind Boston. Meanwhile Detroit is now a full three games behind NY.

Over this next week the Yankees could put a serious dent in Detroit's Wild Card hopes, and shave a game or two off of Boston's lead. We could also see a change in the status quo in the AL West, or even who has the best record in the league. (Possibly even both.)

If the Yanks can go 5-2 over this stretch, the rest of the league better look out once their schedule gets softer.

ajra21
08-24-07, 06:10 AM
They have a team OPS of .769 so I'm not sure where .740 comes from. That's good for 4th in the AL despite playing half of their games in one of the most extreme pitcher's parks in MLB. This isn't even taking into account their numbers since the All Star Game (an .800 team OPS) which would put them as second in the AL behind only the Yankees - again, playing half their games in an extreme pitcher's park. This month their team OPS has been a ridiculous .901.

Their bullpen I know a bit about because I see my fair share of Mariners' games living in Washington. Putz everyone is aware of, Brandon Morrow has one of the best fastballs of any relief pitcher out there, George Sherrill has (up until recently) been close to unhittable, O'Flaherty and Green are both above average. There's no question that those 5 guys combined are amongst the best group of relief pitchers on any team.

That leaves the starting pitching which nobody would argue is a great rotation, but I still think we're exaggerating how bad it is. Felix Hernandez has been one of the best pitchers in the AL this year whether his ERA tells you that story or not. His xFIP is second in the league - ahead of Santana, Beckett, Lackey and everyone else not named Erik Bedard. Washburn and Batista are serviceable number three/four pitchers and Weaver has been a completely different pitcher since he came off the DL - he's consistently kept them in games for about 3 months now and has a 3.35 ERA since he came back. Overall that gives you one very good pitcher, one very poor pitcher and three average ones - not a great rotation but an average one and given the contribution from the bullpen and the offence it's no surprise to me that they're winning a lot of games.

i think people are saying that they are overperforming and that evetntually they'll cool.

so could we of course.

;)

trentonthunder
08-24-07, 06:46 AM
Does anyone know Seattle's record when leading after the
6th or 7th inning ? I wonder what it is compared to Boston's.
Those seem to be the two teams that people say have the best bullpens.

TheTinoMobile
08-24-07, 09:46 AM
I'm sick of Seattle, someone should inform opposing pitchers that Sexson and co. are NOT GOOD, and to pitch around Ichiro.

ZIM 2002
08-24-07, 10:31 AM
Maybe pitching in a non-pitchers' park will help their pitchers come back down to earth.

MaximMan121
08-24-07, 10:45 AM
I'm sick of Seattle, someone should inform opposing pitchers that Sexson and co. are NOT GOOD, and to pitch around Ichiro.

Pitching around/walking one of the top 3 basestealers in baseball isn't very useful.

Just means you've got a speedster standing on 2b more often than not.

ppa79
08-24-07, 10:49 AM
Pitching around/walking one of the top 3 basestealers in baseball isn't very useful.

Just means you've got a speedster standing on 2b more often than not.

Unless the bases are full why would you pitch around Ichiro. Whats he gonna do? Hit a single off you?