PDA

View Full Version : The Official "Watching The Scoreboard" Thread 1.0

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49

nhyankeefan
06-10-07, 07:15 PM
He gutted out 6 innings at appx. 120 pitches.

I know he has a different threshold than most MLB pitchers, but I think Francona is tempting fate a little bit by leaving him in for so long. that's now 250 pitches in his last two games.

YASS
06-10-07, 07:18 PM
I know he has a different threshold than most MLB pitchers, but I think Francona is tempting fate a little bit by leaving him in for so long. that's now 250 pitches in his last two games.

As long as he's maintaining his mechanics, I don't think there's much to be concerned about. If he was obviously fatigued and showing it, I'd agree, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

nhyankeefan
06-10-07, 07:18 PM
Seeing how it's that guy's second major league appearance I don't think I would have bunted and given him an out if I were Francona.

BonusCantos
06-10-07, 07:22 PM
As long as he's maintaining his mechanics, I don't think there's much to be concerned about. If he was obviously fatigued and showing it, I'd agree, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
In that case, then, he's just a workhorse. Most guys would be done after being around 110 and giving up the go-ahead double.

YASS
06-10-07, 07:22 PM
Seeing how it's that guy's second major league appearance I don't think I would have bunted and given him an out if I were Francona.
With Lugo on deck and Crisp behind him, it doesn't much matter what he does there, but I agree that letting the guy who's batting for the pitcher bat like a pitcher is kind of dumb. That's a cookbook play when you're down a run on the road, but you expect more than cookbook calls from a major league manager.

nhyankeefan
06-10-07, 07:29 PM
With Lugo on deck and Crisp behind him, it doesn't much matter what he does there, but I agree that letting the guy who's batting for the pitcher bat like a pitcher is kind of dumb. That's a cookbook play when you're down a run on the road, but you expect more than cookbook calls from a major league manager.

That's a good point about Lugo and Crisp, why not just PH Ortiz then? Or even Hinskie if he wanted to save Ortiz for later.

BonusCantos
06-10-07, 07:32 PM
Donnelly kinda reminds me of Farnsworth with the glasses on.

Arizona's insurance run does not score.

dabomb2045
06-10-07, 07:41 PM
Its amazing how much things have changed in a week. We went from trailing 5-4 in the 8th against the Sox...facing Okajima/Papelbon with the prospect of being down 14.5 games

We won that game, we won 6 of 7 games this week and shaved 4.5 games off the lead...hopefully 5 if the Dbacks hold on to the lead in this game.

BonusCantos
06-10-07, 07:44 PM
Let me say for the record, I think the "Sedona Red" is a MUCH better color.

YASS
06-10-07, 07:51 PM
That's a good point about Lugo and Crisp, why not just PH Ortiz then? Or even Hinskie if he wanted to save Ortiz for later.
Or hit for Lugo and leave Cora in to play short.
With a righthander on the mound, I have absolutely no sensible answer for those questions. None.

BonusCantos
06-10-07, 07:55 PM
Terry mixing and matching. Arizona in good shape in the bottom of the 8th.

This has been an entertaining game. The starting matchup lived up to the hype for the most part.

BillBuckner
06-10-07, 07:58 PM
They just mentioned a couple of interesting facts on (suprisingly) ESPN. The Yanks have made up four games over the week and if they make up only one game a week from here on out, they'll be in first place by mid August. Things seem so much more sunnier if you put it that way.

BonusCantos
06-10-07, 07:59 PM
4-1 Arizona on a miserable E-1.

In Mo I Trust
06-10-07, 07:59 PM
Arizona just added some insurance runs.

JDPNYY
06-10-07, 08:00 PM
4-1 Arizona on a miserable E-1.

Heh...

WebsterMulligan
Thanks, Timlin!!! :gulp:

YankeePride1967
Getting rid of most of his contract wasn't enough?

He had a no trade clause, yet asked to be traded.
The Yankees neither wanted nor needed him at the price they agreed to pay him.
Arizona extended him to help the deal go through and the Yankees paid only $2M of his '07 salary.
Yankees got some measure of quality in return.Sounds like the trade of the century to me. Arizona bent way over for you guys.

I'm certainly not going to complain about the return.

JDPNYY
Arizona just added some insurance runs.

Keep people off da bases and Big Pappu can not come thru.

dabomb2045
06-10-07, 08:01 PM
Terry mixing and matching. Arizona in good shape in the bottom of the 8th.

This has been an entertaining game. The starting matchup lived up to the hype for the most part.

I'm not surprised at all that RJ has had a renaissance of sorts this year. But Yanks fans cant and shouldnt be upset about it.

He's back in the NL and playing in a place he loves and feels comfortable in. I knew he would have a good year. I dont believe he ever felt comfortable in NY and if he was here this season...his stats would be similar to what they were last season.

Plus we also wouldnt have gotten Clemens back....and I'll take Clemens over RJ anyday.

nhyankeefan
06-10-07, 08:02 PM
Timlin is toast. I think Pineiro would be a better option at this point.

BonusCantos
06-10-07, 08:02 PM
This has all the makings of a nightmare inning for Boston. Corners, still nobody out.

Or not.

Jace
06-10-07, 08:04 PM
hehehe... that doesn't happen often. I love how in the space of about 45 seconds Arizona blew a 90% chance for a run. I think they outsmarted themselves

BonusCantos
06-10-07, 08:06 PM
5-1 Arizona with some 2-out hitting.

rca1230
06-10-07, 08:15 PM
is pedroia the biggest whiner in the MLB or what

BillBuckner
06-10-07, 08:21 PM
is pedroia the biggest whiner in the MLB or what
He's a perfect fit for Blowsox Nation.

Jace
06-10-07, 08:23 PM
How are they not pinch hitting for Crisp. I dont know much about the situation, I'm semi-listening on the radio (Im guessing Ortiz pinch hit already), but isn't JD Drew available or something

nhyankeefan
06-10-07, 08:24 PM
How are they not pinch hitting for Crisp

Seriously, what is Tito saving Ortiz for? Not that I mind.

BonusCantos
06-10-07, 08:25 PM
The lead is down to 9.5 games, 9 in the loss column.

May that be the last time we see it in double digits.

3 of the Yankees' Big 4 will pitch the Arizona series.

CHAAAAAAARGE!

WebsterMulligan
06-10-07, 08:26 PM
Seriously, what is Tito saving Ortiz for? Not that I mind.

He was going to use Ortiz, once they were in postion to hit a five-run HR. Because he is SO clutch.

nhyankeefan
06-10-07, 08:26 PM
The lead is down to 9.5 games, 9 in the loss column.

May that be the last time we see it in double digits.

3 of the Yankees' Big 4 will pitch the Arizona series.

CHAAAAAAARGE!

As good as we've played lately and seeing how they just lost 4 straight, it's a little depressing the lead is still 9.5 games. But one day at a time.

jeterismyhomeboy
06-10-07, 08:28 PM
Thank you, Terry Francona.

WebsterMulligan
06-10-07, 08:28 PM
As good as we've played lately and seeing how they just lost 4 straight, it's a little depressing the lead is still 9.5 games. But one day at a time.

I was just thinking that 9.5 back was a good thing, considering where they were 10-14 days ago.

nhyankeefan
06-10-07, 08:29 PM
I was just thinking that 9.5 back was a good thing, considering where they were 10-14 days ago.

Don't get me wrong, it is a good thing. But it's too bad we were in such a big hole to begin with.

dkman
06-10-07, 08:30 PM

Exactly. Gainging 5 games in less then a week and a half is a pretty good clip.

Mangycur
06-10-07, 08:31 PM

Who just lost 4 straight?

WebsterMulligan
06-10-07, 08:32 PM
Don't get me wrong, it is a good thing. But it's too bad we were in such a big hole to begin with.

Yeah ... but I am more hopeful than I was two weeks ago.

I'm hoping that they can cut the lead to about 4-5 games, by the time the All-Star break rolls around.

WebsterMulligan
06-10-07, 08:32 PM
Who just lost 4 straight?

The Red Sox, before the series with AZ.

NYIndian2005
06-10-07, 08:33 PM
We were 12.5 games out. we are now 9.5 games out. We gained 3 games.

YankeePride1967
06-10-07, 08:34 PM

Boston actually lost 3 of 4 before the series. Remember Schilling's almost no-no Thursday?

WeekendWarrior
06-10-07, 08:35 PM
If the yanks just keep winning, good things will happen

Mangycur
06-10-07, 08:35 PM

Oh, I knew they'd won the last few prior to today so I was a little confused. Thanks.

BonusCantos
06-10-07, 08:36 PM
We were 12.5 games out. we are now 9.5 games out. We gained 3 games.
On May 29, the Yankees were 14.5 behind and tied for last place. That's a gain of 5 games in 12 days.

BonusCantos
06-10-07, 08:38 PM
Boston actually lost 3 of 4 before the series. Remember Schilling's almost no-no Thursday?
Boston's 4 game losing streak was the last of the Yankee series and the first 3 in Oakland.

WebsterMulligan
06-10-07, 08:38 PM

They lost 4 straight starting June 3 to June 6. They lost the last game to the Yanks and then the first three to Oakland.

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/schedule?team=bos

NYIndian2005
06-10-07, 08:39 PM
Yea but May 29 is two weeks not less than a week

Big Game Andy
06-10-07, 08:39 PM
Glad to see Terry Francona being exposed as the awful manager he is. His team had to play flawless, perfect baseball in the first two months to hide this.

YASS
06-10-07, 08:40 PM
He was going to use Ortiz, once they were in postion to hit a five-run HR. Because he is SO clutch.
Sadly, I think that's pretty much it.

dkman
06-10-07, 08:41 PM
Glad to see Terry Francona being exposed as the awful manager he is. His team had to play flawless, perfect baseball in the first two months to hide this.

Today not withstanding, Francona is a better manager then Torre. He is generally willing to let his starters go longer, not immediately giving them the hook once they get into trouble from the 5th inning on. He also has an aversion to giving away free outs that Torre doesn't have.

BonusCantos
06-10-07, 08:42 PM
Yea but May 29 is two weeks not less than a week
I think May 29 is a significant date: I see it as rock-bottom. 14.5 behind, and that was the game in Toronto where Aaron Hill stole home on Pettitte. They're 9-2 since then.

Mangycur
06-10-07, 08:43 PM
On May 29, the Yankees were 14.5 behind and tied for last place. That's a gain of 5 games in 12 days.

Exactly.

Big Game Andy
06-10-07, 08:45 PM
Today not withstanding, Francona is a better manager then Torre. He is generally willing to let his starters go longer, not immediately giving them the hook once they get into trouble from the 5th inning on. He also has an aversion to giving away free outs that Torre doesn't have.

Except when he leaves his starters out when they are beyond cooked. Or batting two awful hitters in a row. Even Torre doesn't do that. Even Torre doesn't bat an awful hitter leadoff in his lineup. But Francona trots out the same awful hitter in the leadoff spot day after day. Torre has some concept that you want a guy who gets onbase the most as your lead off hitter. Francona has no idea.

South Facing Epitaph
since the Red Sox have cooled off a bit and the Yankees have closed the gap some, does anyone find it funny that there are less Sox fans trolling Inside the Lines with the 'I'm just here for good baseball discussion' pretense?

jimmykey2
I forgot how much I liked Mike Timlin.

BTW, Tony Pena is going to be a GREAT closer for the D'Backs... he probably should be closing now.

YankeePride1967
06-10-07, 08:47 PM
Boston's 4 game losing streak was the last of the Yankee series and the first 3 in Oakland.

Yes that is correct, however the way the sentence that I quoted sounded to me as if they had lost four straight going into the Arizona series.

Mangycur
06-10-07, 08:47 PM

Dunno about that. It seems to me that Francona is often too slow with the hook. Maybe even sometimes a little cowed by Schilling, for example. How many times have we seen him be left in long enough to get lit up by the Yankees?

YankeePride1967
06-10-07, 08:48 PM
They lost 4 straight starting June 3 to June 6. They lost the last game to the Yanks and then the first three to Oakland.

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/schedule?team=bos

Yes, that I know, I just read your statement above differently than you obviously meant it.

YASS
06-10-07, 08:50 PM
Dunno about that. It seems to me that Francona is often too slow with the hook. Maybe even sometimes a little cowed by Schilling, for example. How many times have we seen him be left in long enough to get lit up by the Yankees?
There was a late April start last year when Tito left Schilling in long after he was overdone. He stayed in for 133 pitches and sucked completely for the next four starts.

Tonight wasn't one of those, though. Matsuzaka wasn't laboring.

BonusCantos
06-10-07, 08:50 PM
To be fair, though, if I were a Sox fan, I wouldn't be worried yet. If the Yanks shave it down to 5 or 6 games in the next few weeks, then I probably would be.

Spiker101
06-10-07, 08:51 PM
Today not withstanding, Francona is a better manager then Torre. He is generally willing to let his starters go longer, not immediately giving them the hook once they get into trouble from the 5th inning on.

You think it possible that has more to do with Francona having an excellent rotation and a crummy bullpen, beyond Papelbon and Okajima, while Torre has had a mediocre and injury-plagued rotation and a relatively solid bullpen? In other words, Francona and Torre have been dealt very different hands and are playing those hands accordingly.

YASS
06-10-07, 08:52 PM
To be fair, though, if I were a Sox fan, I wouldn't be worried yet. If the Yanks shave it down to 5 or 6 games in the next few weeks, then I probably would be.
To be honest, I'm less worried about the Yankees coming on strong than I am about the Sox hitting a wall. They've been winning with almost no production from the #1, #5, and #9 holes, and that has to be addressed quickly. Moreover, now that Timlin's back, the bullpen is just that much worse.

I'm expecting some moves, and if I don't see them, I'm going to be worried big time.

Big Game Andy
06-10-07, 08:53 PM
Get Joe Torre an excellent rotation like he had in 2003 that goes deep into games and he manages a bullpen just fine. When he has starters that can go deep into games like Francona does, he does a much better job than Francona at managing a bullpen/starting rotation.

Mangycur
06-10-07, 09:00 PM
There was a late April start last year when Tito left Schilling in long after he was overdone. He stayed in for 133 pitches and sucked completely for the next four starts.

Tonight wasn't one of those, though. Matsuzaka wasn't laboring.

I can remember more than a few times when it seems that Francona's left Schilling in too long, only to have him get hit pretty hard. Of course, it's just guessing/intuition on my part, but it sometimes seems that Francona's hesitant to pull a starter who doesn't want to come out. I'm just saying I don't think this is Torre's problem.:D

Pitch count doesn't seem to be too much of a problem for Matsuzaka, anyway, does it? Doesn't he pretty much go over 100 on a regular basis?

Speaking of going over 100 pitches....thanks a bunch for getting so much healthier AFTER leaving, RJ.

ETA: Don't know WHAT to think about his decision to use Timlin, but sure do appreciate it.

BonusCantos
06-10-07, 09:01 PM
To be honest, I'm less worried about the Yankees coming on strong than I am about the Sox hitting a wall. They've been winning with almost no production from the #1, #5, and #9 holes, and that has to be addressed quickly. Moreover, now that Timlin's back, the bullpen is just that much worse.

I'm expecting some moves, and if I don't see them, I'm going to be worried big time. As we both know, it's very rare to see a team go throughout a season without some kind of correction when they're playing at a blistering pace. Boston basically played their first 60 games at a .650+ pace with the defects that you mentioned, while at the same time, a clearly talented Yankee team was screwing up at every turn. Sooner or later, the talent was going to resurface, and in turn, some of the offensive flaws of the Red Sox are creeping their way into relevance. I think Boston will probably make a move, but for who or what, I don't know.

In the last few games, it's been a combination of the Yanks coming on hard and the Sox hitting the wall, but you can't predict baseball. The trend could continue or everything could slip back to the way it was for the last 2 months (or neither).

Abe Frohman
06-10-07, 09:52 PM
if we're 7 games or less behind at all star-break i'll be pretty ecstatic about our chances of taking the division. damn, i really hope we keep playing the way we've been playing... everything seems to be coming back to normal...

teknetic
06-10-07, 10:08 PM
Ortiz didn't start vs Unit? his back must be acting up again :)

YASS
06-10-07, 10:41 PM
Ortiz didn't start vs Unit? his back must be acting up again :)

The game was in an NL park, so the plan going in was to sit Lowell one day, Youkilis one day, and Ortiz the other. If you're going to sit him at all, sitting him against a tough lefty is the better choice.

NYIndian2005
06-10-07, 11:07 PM
Frankly there is nothing for the redsox to worry about right now with 9.5 game lead. If it shrinks to 4 games then its time to worry. Right now all the yankees should do is focus on winning and keep this streak going. I am just happy we don't have to face Randy when we play the Dbacks.

jughead
06-10-07, 11:13 PM
Hopefully the Sox go into a nice long slide and the Yankees make a run. I'd love to be within 4 games by the ASB

dabomb2045
06-10-07, 11:21 PM
Frankly there is nothing for the redsox to worry about right now with 9.5 game lead. If it shrinks to 4 games then its time to worry. Right now all the yankees should do is focus on winning and keep this streak going. I am just happy we don't have to face Randy when we play the Dbacks.

Webb isnt gonna be easy either....he's given up 2 ER in his last 23 innings.

WeekendWarrior
06-10-07, 11:27 PM
It will be a challenge but the yankees can put up runs if they are patient and make him bring the sinker up

sujaan
06-10-07, 11:37 PM
Wow, Webb vs. Wang is going to be a treat. Two of the best sinkerballers in the majors dueling it out.

BonusCantos
06-10-07, 11:46 PM
If the Yankees can take that first game of the series, I really like their chances for the 3 game set.

Sam18
06-11-07, 01:01 AM

Good, he's due for a shelling.

DJ27
06-11-07, 01:17 AM
101 games left.... 9 1/2 back. Is it possible???

DJ27
06-11-07, 01:18 AM
So he is due for a bad game!!!! :D :D

CallOfTheCrow
06-11-07, 01:28 AM
Wow, Webb vs. Wang is going to be a treat. Two of the best sinkerballers in the majors dueling it out.

I'm not interested in a treat. I want to see Webb give up 7 runs in 2 innings.

DJ27
06-11-07, 01:30 AM

Agreed!!! Keep rolling "O".

CallOfTheCrow
06-11-07, 01:31 AM
If we were in 1st place by 10 games then sure, a treat sounds fine but not when we're playing catch up :)

Pagliarulo Era
06-11-07, 08:32 AM
It's a shame that even with this run we're still not even at .500 yet, that's pretty sobering. Boston isn't going to continue to scuffle much longer, and much of the ground made up has to do with the fact that we lucked out a bit with drawing the Pirates in Interleague. The next 6 games will be important, we haven't faced a decent team in the past two series. Going 4-2 at our own place would be key before the road trip. The next homestand will be very tough before the ASB.

ksison
06-11-07, 08:53 AM

lol! its not halloween, and i'd rather see us win than have a treat

justinvarnes
06-11-07, 11:32 AM
Although they'll have to face Webb, they are missing Owings and RJ.

And at least Wang is lined up with Webb.

As far as catching BOS, I stick by my original schedule:

#1 - win series (they've won the last 3)

#2 - get to .500 (they're one game away)

#3 - take the lead in the Wild Card (4th place about 5 games back of DET)

#4 - look up and see if they can catch BOS

They're still on #2 and #3.

BonusCantos
06-11-07, 12:58 PM
After watching the Sox/Snakes series and doing my research, I've verified that what I saw is true: Arizona's offense isn't that good.

It's not as bad as Chicago's was for Wang last week, but it's down there.

21st in runs scored
24th in hits
26th in batting average
23rd in OBP
19th in OPS

If I recall, though, their GO/FO ratio is very close to 1, and Wang lives off the ground ball out. I suppose that means Wang will be having to mix in some of those secondary pitches like he did against the Red Sox a few weeks ago to get Ks.

Should be a good matchup of a Cy winner vs. a Cy runner-up. The pressure is on Webb, IMO, as the Yankees are simmering and Wang might have a better time dealing with the lighter offense.

NYDCYankee
06-12-07, 06:07 AM
Yanks gained ground on CWS and TOR last night.

stupidpunchline
06-12-07, 06:41 AM
Yanks gained ground on CWS and TOR last night.

Both teams were already behind the Yankees and likely will be for the balance of the season.... but hooray!

Where the Yankees really gained ground was on the eventual wild-card leading Indians.

NYDCYankee
06-12-07, 06:31 PM
Both teams were already behind the Yankees and likely will be for the balance of the season.... but hooray!

Where the Yankees really gained ground was on the eventual wild-card leading Indians.

True, true, but the more distance between the clubs the better.

But the Indians did lose too, however I bet they maintain a hold on firstplace.

I would really like the Mariners to coool off sooner rather than later.

BonusCantos
06-12-07, 08:54 PM
Cookie pitched a great game at Fenway, but the Rox trail the Sox 1-0.

Now 1-1.

NYDCYankee
06-12-07, 09:03 PM
Tigers winning

Sox tied.

Balt, CLE, CWS, Min all losing.

Big Game Andy
06-12-07, 09:03 PM
Verlander has a you know what through 8.

SubwayFanatic
06-12-07, 09:04 PM
Verlander with a no-hitter through 8.

NYDCYankee
06-12-07, 09:10 PM
Top 9 in Detroit.

NYDCYankee
06-12-07, 09:13 PM
Nasty pitch to Counsell. Holy cow!

NYDCYankee
06-12-07, 09:16 PM
He did it.

MattManNWO
06-12-07, 09:19 PM
I wish I had a hot woman run on the field and hug me like she did with Verlander, hehe. I know it was probably his gf/wife, but one can only wish.

jeterdaman
06-12-07, 09:23 PM
I wish I had a hot woman run on the field and hug me like she did with Verlander, hehe. I know it was probably his gf/wife, but one can only wish.

she had a horse face.

MattUNC2003
06-12-07, 09:26 PM
Yeah, you're filty when you hit 101 on the gun with 1 out in the ninth.

God, I love Justin Verlander.

BonusCantos
06-12-07, 09:32 PM
Boston wins, 2-1.

NZ NYY Fan
06-12-07, 09:37 PM
Can't gain ground today. But cleveland's loss makes things interesting in the AL central.

BonusCantos
06-12-07, 10:44 PM
If the Yankees can take that first game of the series, I really like their chances for the 3 game set.
Webb was their best. Let's keep this win streak going.

7 in a row and 10 out of 12.

NYIndian2005
06-12-07, 10:55 PM
Damn Boston just eeked out a win. Good streak going here.

DrNick
06-12-07, 10:56 PM
Although they'll have to face Webb, they are missing Owings and RJ.

And at least Wang is lined up with Webb.

As far as catching BOS, I stick by my original schedule:

#1 - win series (they've won the last 3)

#2 - get to .500 (they're one game away)

#3 - take the lead in the Wild Card (4th place about 5 games back of DET)

#4 - look up and see if they can catch BOS

They're still on #2 and #3.

Check and check

YankeePride1967
06-12-07, 10:57 PM
we are now back to .500 as well!!!

Kluivert4Ever
06-12-07, 11:00 PM
Yankees are now 5.5 GB of BOTH Cleveland and Detroit for the WC lead.

sweet_lou_14
06-12-07, 11:06 PM
Seattle and Oakland are both in extra-inning affairs ... would be nice to see both of them lose.

It's amazing how quickly we put Toronto and Baltimore in our rear-view mirror, hopefully for good. Teams like Minnesota, Oakland, and Seattle are next. Go Yanks!

jughead
06-12-07, 11:23 PM
All these Boston 1 run wins are killing me.

CalYankeeFan
06-12-07, 11:32 PM

no kidding - I watched Colorado tie it up and flipped back to the Yankee game...only to find out boston went back ahead...:mad:

all well - The Yankees can only control what they can

100 games to go...lets go 65-35 at least!!

keg411
06-12-07, 11:33 PM
Houston beats Oakland 5-4. Now just waiting on the Seattle/Cubbies game.

26 and counting
06-12-07, 11:51 PM

If they win the AL East, so be it. Let's beat them in the ALCS when it really matters!

NYDCYankee
06-13-07, 12:06 AM
I wonder if all those people who said they will join this thread when the Yankees reach .500 will start posting now?

Spiker101
06-13-07, 12:07 AM
Yankees are now 5.5 GB of BOTH Cleveland and Detroit for the WC lead.

Which is huge. Those guys have 12 games remaining against each other, while the Yanks and Boston have just six. The actual lead in the wild card race is much closer than the standings would make it appear.

BonusCantos
06-13-07, 12:09 AM
Wednesday's mission: Get back over .500 for good.

jeterismyhomeboy
06-13-07, 01:08 AM
Wednesday's mission: Get back over .500 for good.

Yup. Staying over .500 for the rest of the season would be sweet.

FingersCrossed
06-13-07, 02:20 AM
Haha. It feels so nice seeing the Yanks gradually move upwards. Keep it up!

Octoberbaby
06-13-07, 02:55 AM
I just wish the Red Sox would lose a few now.

NYDCYankee
06-13-07, 03:24 AM
I just wish the Red Sox would lose a few now.

Well, they aren't exactly scoring alot. So that is a good sign.

Octoberbaby
06-13-07, 04:11 AM
Well, they aren't exactly scoring alot. So that is a good sign.

I know and that is what kills me! Why couldn't it be the other team that breaks the tie in the end? Maybe soon. I hope so, getting tired of being 10 games out, dying to get to the single digits.

TheTinoMobile
06-13-07, 08:00 AM
Well, the Red Sox ARE playing the Rockies after all.....

Today this guy goes for CR....http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/images/gameday/mugshots/mlb/150319.jpg

Against the Schillster... does not bode well for Colorado... Hopefully Schilling gets Schelled.

YankeePride1967
06-13-07, 08:06 AM
I wonder if all those people who said they will join this thread when the Yankees reach .500 will start posting now?

Yup, time to rejoin the bandwagon.

BonusCantos
06-13-07, 09:25 AM
Honestly, the Rockies aren't that bad at 31-33. They're much better than they have been in past years, I'll tell you that.

NewEraYanks2527
06-13-07, 09:33 AM
Honestly, the Rockies aren't that bad at 31-33. They're much better than they have been in past years, I'll tell you that.
True but that is not saying much. The Yankees need to win tonight so they don't just go below .500 again. These are the games we need to be winning and fortunately we have been winning them. Last night was a tough matchup with Webb on the hill and that was a good win. The defense picked up Wang and kept runs from scoring. Now hopefully the bats are a little more lively tonight and Moose gives us a quality start.

GraniteYankee
06-13-07, 09:35 AM
Scoreboard watching aside - we need to win at least 64 of our remaining 100 to make the playoffs. It's not going to be easy but very do-able. It all depends on the health of our starters. If 1 of the "big 4" go down for a significant amount of time, we're in trouble.

BonusCantos
06-13-07, 11:51 AM
True but that is not saying much. The Yankees need to win tonight so they don't just go below .500 again. These are the games we need to be winning and fortunately we have been winning them. Last night was a tough matchup with Webb on the hill and that was a good win. The defense picked up Wang and kept runs from scoring. Now hopefully the bats are a little more lively tonight and Moose gives us a quality start.
To be honest, I like these 2 matchups against a fairly light-hitting Arizona offense; the pressure here will be on the Arizona pitchers to cool off the Yankees offense. Their ace couldn't do it last night, so we'll see what happens against their 2 & 3 starters

jeterismyhomeboy
06-13-07, 01:27 PM
With the exception of Bobby, the offense last night was pretty cool. Just sayin'.

BonusCantos
06-13-07, 01:43 PM
With the exception of Bobby, the offense last night was pretty cool. Just sayin'.
They faced a defending CYA winner. If they're cool tonight, then you'll have something.

NYDCYankee
06-13-07, 08:47 PM
6-2 Rox over Sox

THEBOSS84
06-13-07, 08:50 PM
Indians down 3-0, A's down 2-0

BonusCantos
06-13-07, 08:50 PM
Lookin' real good tonight.

CallOfTheCrow
06-13-07, 08:51 PM
sexy.......

NYDCYankee
06-13-07, 09:06 PM
Sea-Chc 1-1

MattManNWO
06-13-07, 09:09 PM
1-1 Milwaukee and Detroit

8-0 San Diego over TB, hehe

BonusCantos
06-13-07, 09:20 PM
Colorado 9, Boston 2

A gained game seems pretty likely.

THEBOSS84
06-13-07, 09:23 PM
Damn..Indians storm back to take a 6-3 lead

THEBOSS84
06-13-07, 09:39 PM
Tigers down 3-2 heading into the bottom of the 8th. M's also down 3-2. Legit chance of being down 4 games in loss column for WC and 8 for AL East.

False1
06-13-07, 09:45 PM
Should be 8.5 back in the AL East by close of business today. You can't tell me RSN isn't starting to get nervous. Right now everything is clicking. The Sox have to have an injury waiting in the wings.

I can just sense we're on the verge of putting "not again" to their lips.

BonusCantos
06-13-07, 10:07 PM
My hope is that the Yankees can pick up a game a week. If they get it to 7.5 or below in the next few, that would be gravy.

BonusCantos
06-13-07, 10:12 PM
8.5 down momentarily, 8 in the loss column.

This is the closest the Yankees have been to first place since May 16.

NYYMazda
06-13-07, 10:14 PM
2 outs from 8.5 back!!

Toaderly
06-13-07, 10:15 PM
Detroit lost. Now we just need the Mariners and A's to lose. Houston needs a big comeback and the Cubs just need to hold on. A big Marlins comeback would be nice, too.

BonusCantos
06-13-07, 10:17 PM
2 outs from 8.5 back!!
And there it is!

Game4Tino
06-13-07, 10:19 PM
Lovely, Sox Crushed by Rox!!!

goyankees
06-13-07, 10:22 PM
tigers, sox and tampa bay all lost. but who cares? :P

TheTinoMobile
06-13-07, 10:28 PM
tigers, sox and tampa bay all lost. but who cares? :P

Tampa Bay? Are we still competing with them lol?

FingersCrossed
06-13-07, 10:46 PM
This works better than weight watching. And infinitely more fun!

YanksFanTillDeath
06-13-07, 10:50 PM
7.5 here we come...
I would love to be 5 or less back @ the ASB

Octoberbaby
06-13-07, 10:51 PM
Lovely, Sox Crushed by Rox!!!

My prayers were answered! ;)

YASS
06-13-07, 11:13 PM
My prayers were answered! ;)

Your team won and my team lost, but I'm not going to blame God for it.

It was Schilling's meatball to Hawpe that did it. :)

ColombiaYanksFan
06-13-07, 11:22 PM
I can already hear the Yankee haters grumbling about the Yankees making a comeback and winning 8 in a row, "it's not fair. They have the highest salary in baseball". But when they were in a slump you don't hear that. all you hear is, "they're just not that good".

If they don't hate the Yankees for one reason, than they'll look for another.
I'll bet anyone that very soon, ESPN will remind sports fan about the Yankees high salary and keep rubbing it in our faces (especially Gammons and Lupica).

Yankeesfan811
06-13-07, 11:22 PM
7.5 here we come...
I would love to be 5 or less back @ the ASB

it's gonna happen!

and arod might have 90 RBI's by then!!!!!

NYDCYankee
06-13-07, 11:44 PM
I can already hear the Yankee haters grumbling about the Yankees making a comeback and winning 8 in a row, "it's not fair. They have the highest salary in baseball". But when they were in a slump you don't hear that. all you hear is, "they're just not that good".

I'll bet anyone that very soon, ESPN will remind sports fan about the Yankees high salary and keep rubbing it in our faces (especially Gammons and Lupica).

Steve Phillips was allready trying to do that during tonights game.

RedGlare
06-14-07, 12:11 AM
7.5 here we come...
I would love to be 5 or less back @ the ASBFrom you mouth to god...
man could you imagine? If we did there would be no doubt from me that we'd take the east

YanksFanTillDeath
06-14-07, 12:23 AM
From you mouth to god...
man could you imagine? If we did there would be no doubt from me that we'd take the east

I know that is why I am so quite... Just waiting for it to happen so I can BLOW up:D:eek:

Octoberbaby
06-14-07, 02:45 AM

I had one acquaintance, an Angels fan, tell me when the Yankees were losing that it was karma. We were getting paid back for having a high payroll and ruining baseball. It is teams like the Yankees that save baseball every year.

stupidpunchline
06-14-07, 07:02 AM
All the teams of interest today:

Boston (Josh Beckett) vs Colorado (Jeff Francis)
Anaheim (Bartolo Colon) at Cincinnati (Homer Bailey)
Cleveland (Jason Stanford) at Florida (Dontrelle Willis)
Detroit (Chad Durbin) vs Milwaukee (Ben Sheets)
Seattle (Jeff Weaver) at Chicago Cubs (Jason Marquis)
Oakland (Chad Gaudin) at Houston (Jason Jennings)
Minnesota (Johan Santana) vs Atlanta (Tim Hudson)
Toronto OFF

NYDCYankee
06-14-07, 07:09 AM
Francis could give Boston real problems.

Minny-Atlanta looks like a fun game.

BonusCantos
06-14-07, 09:00 AM
Francis could give Boston real problems.

Minny-Atlanta looks like a fun game.
What's of note is that so far, both of Colorado's starters at Fenway have shut the Sox down. Unfortunately for Aaron Cook, his team only scored 1 run for him. The fact that Francis is a lefty should help him tonight -- no, wait, I take that back -- Boston actually hits lefities better this year.

yanksphan
06-14-07, 10:14 AM
This is Jeff Francis' first career start vs the Bosox.

Francis Splits:

2007 Away: 35IP 3.09ERA 1.11WHIP .224BAA
vs Left: 1.08WHIP .233BAA
vs Right: 1.37WHIP .279BAA

too bad it's not a day game:

Day 2.51ERA .98WHIP .189BAA
Night 4.07ERA 1.36WHIP .281BAA

YASS
06-14-07, 10:43 AM
What's of note is that so far, both of Colorado's starters at Fenway have shut the Sox down. Unfortunately for Aaron Cook, his team only scored 1 run for him. The fact that Francis is a lefty should help him tonight -- no, wait, I take that back -- Boston actually hits lefities better this year.

Lefties are welcome this year. It means Cora and Drew are more likely to sit.

Lefties be praised.

BonusCantos
06-14-07, 10:44 AM
Lefties are welcome this year. It means Cora and Drew are more likely to sit.

Lefties be praised.
Oh, is that what it is. Now it makes sense.

ColombiaYanksFan
06-14-07, 12:51 PM
I had one acquaintance, an Angels fan, tell me when the Yankees were losing that it was karma. We were getting paid back for having a high payroll and ruining baseball. It is teams like the Yankees that save baseball every year.

They forget to mention that it's highway robbery having steinbrenner share his revenue with smaller teams. It's not Steinbrenner's fault that he's blessed to own the most famous team in the history of any sports. If his products sell at a high rate (such as Yankee merobelia, jerseys, bats etc...), and he takes that money and invests in pro players, it's not his fault to be blessed with such a high revenue income. What's he supposed to do? Stop selling yankee memorbelia and cut his income revenue, and stop investing that money in players? he simply invested in the greatest dynasty of mankind.

BonusCantos
06-14-07, 01:05 PM
Millions show up at the Stadium every year and millions show up in road attendance to watch the Yankees and that's bad for baseball?

NYIndian2005
06-14-07, 01:06 PM
I don't care if fans of other teams complain about our payroll. If it puts us in a position to win every year then I really don't care. I am ok with also taking the beating if we fail with a huge payroll and everyone makes fun of us. They both come as a package.

Janttje
06-14-07, 02:37 PM
Detroit is 3-0 back against Milwaukee in the 5th

NYDCYankee
06-14-07, 02:48 PM
Seattle losing 3-0

NYDCYankee
06-14-07, 04:19 PM
Detroit losing in the ninth.

Oakland-Houston tied.

Seattle leading the Cubs by a run in the 7th.

Janttje
06-14-07, 04:21 PM
Tigers are actually rallying right now..

yankeefreak04
06-14-07, 04:23 PM
Tigers are actually rallying right now..

Rallying big time... two in and a man on third...

Two outs though as Craig Monroe strikes out for the fifth time today...

frostdude1
06-14-07, 04:26 PM
did detroit lose ?

Janttje
Game over @ Detroit.. Brewers win :)

TheTinoMobile
Yes 6-5 .. ended with a guy on third and the batter struck out.

allstarcano22
06-14-07, 04:27 PM
cordero scared mee lol

allstarcano22
06-14-07, 04:27 PM
3.5 back of the wild card!

NYYMazda
06-14-07, 04:29 PM
Cordero made it interesting, but... 3.5 back baby!!!

BonusCantos
06-14-07, 04:30 PM
Go Rockies!

(I like the Rox anyway, but this is a good excuse to root for them)

The Dynasty
06-14-07, 04:30 PM
This is getting so awesome.

justinvarnes
06-14-07, 04:49 PM
I think a realistic goal is to be within 4-5 games by the ASB and leading the Wild Card.

When that happens, it will be nice to forget about the Wild Card for awhile.

justinvarnes
06-14-07, 04:52 PM
Cubs take a 5 - 4 lead in the 8th against the Mariners.

HOU/OAK still tied.

spyglass
06-14-07, 04:54 PM
Oh man, the best part about today is that we won before all of those other scores became final and/or before other games started. Starting to put the pressure on...

BonusCantos
06-14-07, 04:55 PM
I think a realistic goal is to be within 4-5 games by the ASB and leading the Wild Card.

When that happens, it will be nice to forget about the Wild Card for awhile.
All I want in the next 22 games (I think that's how many there are until the break) is another 3 games trimmed off. Anything beyond that is total gravy.

Like Johnny Damon said the other day, if they're 5-6 games out at the break, "we're going to win it."

Jasbro
06-14-07, 04:59 PM
I don't think the question is whether or not we should scoreboard-watch at this point or not.

I think the new question these days should be "How often are the Tigers, Indians, and Red Sox checking the scoreboard?"

edit: "...and the Mariners."

THEBOSS84
06-14-07, 05:02 PM
Mariners lose!

Spiker101
06-14-07, 05:04 PM
Mariners lose. 3 1/2 back now.

hellonewman
06-14-07, 05:06 PM
Yay Cubbies! Let's buy Lou a beer.

Oakland, Houston 5-5 in the 8th.

yankeefreak04
06-14-07, 05:07 PM
Mariners lose. 3 1/2 back now.

Would have been 3 1/2 back regardless of the Mariners score... Correct?...:dunno:

hellonewman
06-14-07, 05:10 PM
Would have been 3 1/2 back regardless of the Mariners score... Correct?...:dunno:Correct. Yanks 3.5 back of Detroit, 2.5 back of Seattle.

Spiker101
06-14-07, 05:20 PM
Correct. Yanks 3.5 back of Detroit, 2.5 back of Seattle.

I misstated. What I meant to say was three back in the loss column. I only care about the all-important loss column.

Jace
06-14-07, 05:30 PM
And wow, Monroe really did go 0-5 with 5 K's

NYDCYankee
06-14-07, 05:31 PM
Going to O's-Nat's tonight. I am going to put a hex on Baltimore, so they don't win again this year.

hellonewman
06-14-07, 05:38 PM
Oakland threatening in the 10th with Gas Can Lidge on the mound for the 'Stros.

But he works out of it. :)

Spiker101
06-14-07, 05:39 PM
Going to O's-Nat's tonight. I am going to put a hex on Baltimore, so they don't win again this year.

Except for those 13 wins Baltimore is going to rack up against the Red Sox.

hellonewman
06-14-07, 06:01 PM
Oakland takes 6-5 lead in the 11th...

Edit: Oakland wins 6-5.

Toaderly
06-14-07, 06:38 PM
I don't think the question is whether or not we should scoreboard-watch at this point or not.

I think the new question these days should be "How often are the Tigers, Indians, and Red Sox checking the scoreboard?"

Don't forget Oakland.

Octoberbaby
06-14-07, 06:49 PM
Millions show up at the Stadium every year and millions show up in road attendance to watch the Yankees and that's bad for baseball?

The guy that said that to me happens to be my boyfriend's son so I couldn't even tell him to F off! :mad:

BonusCantos
06-14-07, 06:56 PM
The guy that said that to me happens to be my boyfriend's son so I couldn't even tell him to F off! :mad:
You couldn't have even told him what to do with his rally monkey? That's rough. :lol:

BonusCantos
06-14-07, 07:18 PM
Colorado 1, Boston 0

Top 1st

hardrain
06-14-07, 07:31 PM
Oh it's getting fun to watch the scoreboard these days!

BonusCantos
06-14-07, 07:36 PM
Colorado 1, Boston 0

End 1st

BonusCantos
06-14-07, 07:36 PM
Oh it's getting fun to watch the scoreboard these days! 'Tis. :)

Breyean
06-14-07, 07:38 PM
Colorado 1, Boston 0

End 1st

Interesting that Drew is the new leadoff hitter.

BonusCantos
06-14-07, 07:38 PM
I didn't even notice.

WebsterMulligan
06-14-07, 07:44 PM

They're probably not too concerned as of yet, but if the Yanks continue to make up ground, they will, as it gets closer to crunch time.

WebsterMulligan
06-14-07, 07:46 PM

Tito probably wants a solid #5 hitter in Youkilis, protecting Ortiz and Manny.

nortonfan83
06-14-07, 07:50 PM

Is that a panic move?

susieb8020
06-14-07, 07:51 PM
Tito probably wants a solid #5 hitter in Youkilis, protecting Ortiz and Manny.

I would think he'd slide Lowell in there. According to ESPN he's the most amazing player to ever play the game of baseball. In fact, Todd Helton is not 1/2 the player that Lowell is. Lowell is perfect for Fenway and perfect for the game of baseball. If only every player was more like Mikey. Even A-Rod could learn a thing or two.

TheMick@ND
06-14-07, 07:54 PM
The rockies aren't looking good at the moment. Francis is throwing too many pitches. Bases loaded one out. Top of the order for boston

FingersCrossed
06-14-07, 07:56 PM
When this thread first got started, I never thought I could be watching a race at such an insane pace this soon! Good job, Yankees! Good job, all of you winners/losers. What a great inter-league effort! Go Rockies! :D

TheMick@ND
06-14-07, 07:57 PM
Wow great play by tulowitzki. two out

BonusCantos
06-14-07, 07:57 PM
Huge play.

WebsterMulligan
06-14-07, 07:58 PM
Tough break for the Red Sox.

I hope they squander this opportunity.

TheMick@ND
06-14-07, 07:59 PM
Great job francis

BonusCantos
06-14-07, 07:59 PM
Colorado 1, Boston 0

End 2nd

WebsterMulligan
06-14-07, 08:00 PM
Ha! They leave the sacks full. :gulp:

TheMick@ND
06-14-07, 08:00 PM
Beckett doesnt look that good tonight. His curveball is awful. Rox need to start putting some runs up.

Big Game Andy
06-14-07, 08:01 PM
Pedroria does an awful lot of complaining. Somebody should tell the kid that he is a rookie and he should shut his mouth.

pleasepassthesoup
06-14-07, 08:01 PM
Francis doesn't have his best stuff (or even close to it) tonight. Gutsy inning though. Great job pitching out of it.

Luckily, Beckett doesn't look like he's at the top of his game tonight either.

TheMick@ND
06-14-07, 08:02 PM
Pedroria does an awful lot of complaining. Somebody should tell the kid that he is a rookie and he should shut his mouth.

Couldn't agree more

WebsterMulligan
06-14-07, 08:03 PM
Beckett doesnt look that good tonight. His curveball is awful. Rox need to start putting some runs up.

I think they will eventually break through. Beckett has been getting hit hard.

pleasepassthesoup

I was just thinking the same thing. Shut up and play. Maybe once he's been around a while, maybe he can whine without looking like such a tool.

TheMick@ND
Single for Kaz

WebsterMulligan
06-14-07, 08:04 PM

Ortiz must be rubbing off on him. He complains about balls and strikes, as much as anyone that I can think off.

nortonfan83
06-14-07, 08:04 PM
I think they will eventually break through. Beckett has been getting hit hard.

Tonight he is really throwing like the Josh Beckett of last year so far.

TheMick@ND
06-14-07, 08:06 PM
HAHAHA! Manny tries to cut off another throw from the outfield. Holliday is a beast.

sweet_lou_14

Allow me to be the fourth or fifth person to quote this for truth.

pleasepassthesoup
Cleveland's up 2-0 in the 4th.

Scary moment when Sizemore ran into Dontrelle's pitching hand on a play at first. D-Train was writhing on the ground. I thought he broke his hand but he managed to stay in the game.

YankeePride1967
06-14-07, 08:07 PM

Other than maybe Boston, I think the Yanks have the "Tiger Woods" advantage going for then. In golf, if Tiger is even close to the top going into the final round, he has an advantage as he will be in the minds of those ahead of him. Same with the Yanks.

TheMick@ND
06-14-07, 08:09 PM
Sacks packed nobody out for rox

BonusCantos
06-14-07, 08:09 PM
Rox have the bases loaded & nobody out.

pleasepassthesoup
06-14-07, 08:10 PM
Hopefully they can make Beckett keep throwing. Tire the bullpen out a bit

WebsterMulligan
06-14-07, 08:11 PM
I'd love to see the next hitter put the ball onto Landsdowne Street.

Not quite, but I'll take it!!! :gulp:

WebsterMulligan
06-14-07, 08:12 PM
Getting into a good hitter's count ...

OldYankeeFan
Colorado 1-0 with bases loaded no outs in the 3rd

pleasepassthesoup
Gone! 5-0!

TheMick@ND
Grand Slam Garret Atkins

BonusCantos
Colorado 5, Boston 0

Top 3rd

Scoring play: Garrett Atkins Grand Slam

OldYankeeFan
06-14-07, 08:13 PM
Grand Slam

BonusCantos
06-14-07, 08:13 PM
And there's STILL nobody out.

pleasepassthesoup
06-14-07, 08:14 PM
living a block from fenway, it's fun to hear the crowd groan before I see the play on TV

TheMick@ND
06-14-07, 08:14 PM
Beckett taking on his true form.

BonusCantos
06-14-07, 08:15 PM
I said it last week and I wasn't really taken seriously, so I'll say again: the Rockies really aren't as bad as everyone thinks they are. If they win tonight they'll be at .500.

TheGameEpisode2
06-14-07, 08:15 PM
The ball is defected. That's why Beckett is getting hit. Come on guys, I thought you knew this.

Big Game Andy
06-14-07, 08:16 PM
This is Vintage Beckett here :D

Glad to see Beckett coming back to Earth a little... it must have been lonely in Mars.

WebsterMulligan
06-14-07, 08:16 PM
living a block from fenway, it's fun to hear the crowd groan before I see the play on TV

I used to work on Brookline Ave, just one block from Fenway.

WebsterMulligan
06-14-07, 08:17 PM
Beckett taking on his true form.

He doesn't have command of his curveball, tonight.

TheMick@ND
I said it last week and I wasn't really taken seriously, so I'll say again: the Rockies really aren't as bad as everyone thinks they are. If they win tonight they'll be at .500.

I agree they have a lot of good young bats and their pitching is really starting to come around.

South Facing Epitaph
Let's hope they're bad for 3 days next week

MichaelŪ
This is Vintage Beckett here :D

That really was more like the '06 Beckett. Instead of maybe coming back with a curve on 3-1, he resorted to the fastball and Atkins saw it a mile away. Wasn't that the knock on him last year?

OldYankeeFan

Nice!

TheMick@ND
He doesn't have command of his curveball, tonight.
The blisters strike again

nortonfan83
06-14-07, 08:18 PM
Josh Fogg, Yorvitt Torrealba, Garret Atkins...

Just more players to add to Xmas card list

BonusCantos
06-14-07, 08:19 PM
I agree they have a lot of good young bats and their pitching is really starting to come around.
They hung in the NL West race for a while last year before tailing off in the 2nd half. I wouldn't be surprised if they hung out for a while this year, too.

And it's not just in Coors that they're hitting, either. They've scored 18 sea-level runs just fine this series.

Lumen
06-14-07, 08:19 PM
Has the meltdown begun already?

Metroidman
06-14-07, 08:20 PM
God please Let Beckett get his first loss tonight

That'd be the greatest thing ever. And we'd have cut down 7 games off their lead in like 2 weeks