PDA

View Full Version : Who feels bad for Chase Wright?

Brooklyn Yankee Fan
04-22-07, 09:29 PM
I agree with him, and so I will quote what Jglaubman said in tonights (4/22) game thread.

C'mon, this guy was not supposed to be NEAR the Major Leagues this year.

He should be in NJ (or whever he lives, in Texas actually) right now. Not Boston pitching against the Red Sox.

Now, many will say they don't feel bad because once you are in the majors pitching, then you should be able to handle the pressure.

I disagree with a statement like that. Wright hasn't pitched above Double A. That being said, sure, it's his fault, but it's a shame at that. He shouldn't have been in Boston tonight.

I hope Chase isn't scarred for life because of this. I could see him being a decent pitcher in the majors, when he is really ready for that level.

So, anyone else feel bad for Chase?

nyctalopia
04-22-07, 09:40 PM
nope. he was just not good at all tonight.

BxBomber44
04-22-07, 09:44 PM
I do. Was the game thread too full or something? Where'd it go ...

destro
04-22-07, 09:46 PM
what a stupid thread, we know what happened... there's a game on thread and it's obvious it sucked, but to start a thread just to ask if you feel bad for him?

gimme a break.

Brooklyn Yankee Fan
04-22-07, 09:50 PM
I don't understand how it's a "stupid thread", but whatever.

You can have a discussion on it. Maybe not a long one, but you can have one about it.

Hotrod
04-22-07, 10:05 PM
Why should I feel bad for him? He set a record tonight. How many pitchers can say they've ever done that?

27IsNext
04-22-07, 10:10 PM
Why should I feel bad for him? He set a record tonight. How many pitchers can say they've ever done that?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

DON'T KNOCK THE ROCK
04-22-07, 10:25 PM
I think someone should have told him to throw a pitch or two in the dirt after the first two homers. I'm not one for throwing at someone. After all, the current batter is not at fault if the two previous guys hit homers.

Do I feel bad for him. Only that he'll be taking buses and trains for a while now instead of planes. He's on his way down as of tomorrow.

bigjf
04-22-07, 11:31 PM
Hopefully he doesn't let it get to him. He should realize how blessed he is to have had the opportunity to pitch in Fenway as part of the greatest rivalry in sports history. No, it didn't go well, but neither did Melky in 2005....

digito
04-22-07, 11:42 PM
Why feel bad? you should be proud of his courage. You know he is not at this level, he was doomed before he took the mound. He still went there and pitched.
You should feel bad for the team why Wright is the only guy could start.

JeffWeaverFan
04-22-07, 11:46 PM
I do not. He should have put one up and in on one of the guys. He sees 2 of our guys get hit, he gives up back to back HR's, and he doesn't go up and in on one of their guys?

DaYanks24
04-22-07, 11:47 PM
I don't feel bad for him. I didn't expect him to dominate, but 4 straight homers? That's an embarrassment, especially since he had a start under his belt.

WebsterMulligan
04-22-07, 11:51 PM
I do not. He should have put one up and in on one of the guys. He sees 2 of our guys get hit, he gives up back to back HR's, and he doesn't go up and in on one of their guys?

He should have just drilled Varitek, after giving up the third HR.

PirateChief
04-22-07, 11:52 PM
Not me!

jughead
04-22-07, 11:53 PM
Not me. 4 straight homers. That's bad, even for a AA pitcher

Mangycur
04-22-07, 11:54 PM
Nope. It didn't kill him, so I'm thinking it might make him stronger.

AndThenThereWasTino
04-22-07, 11:57 PM
I don't feel bad for him. I didn't expect him to dominate, but 4 straight homers? That's an embarrassment, especially since he had a start under his belt.
I think people have way to high expectations on this kid. C'mon man he's a spot starter and has made ONE start. He only had two starts in AA. I expected him to get hit hard. Anything else would have been a bonus. To put those expectations on a kid that has made only 3 starts above A ball level is unfair.

Shaun4013
04-22-07, 11:58 PM
After the 2nd homer he should have drilled someone. Is that wrong? Maybe, but it would have worked.

MichaelŪ
04-22-07, 11:59 PM
I'm pretty sure a 78-year-old elderly man using a walker could navigate his way through a major-league lineup without giving up four consecutive home runs.

I don't feel sorry for him because he wasn't smarten enough to keep at least one of those drives in the same zip code.

jbauer2485
04-22-07, 11:59 PM
I don't feel bad for someone who gets to play baseball professionally for the Yankees.

-tz
04-23-07, 12:06 AM
Suzyn just said on the WCBS postgame that Wright will get another start.

Rich
04-23-07, 12:08 AM

Everything is subject to change.

Allan
04-23-07, 12:19 AM
Well tonight's performance will likely Chase him Wright back to the minors.:(

jughead
04-23-07, 12:24 AM
Well tonight's performance will likely Chase him Wright back to the minors.:(
So? He's not really any good

Mangycur
04-23-07, 12:27 AM
I'm pretty sure a 78-year-old elderly man using a walker could navigate his way through a major-league lineup without giving up four consecutive home runs.

I don't feel sorry for him because he wasn't smarten enough to keep at least one of those drives in the same zip code.

"Smarten"? Before insulting someone else's intelligence, it might not be a bad idea to check your spelling. Rocks and glass houses, ya know. The player-bashing in the game threads is bad enough, is it really necessary to carry it over here?

WashingtonYankee
04-23-07, 12:34 AM
what a stupid thread, we know what happened... there's a game on thread and it's obvious it sucked, but to start a thread just to ask if you feel bad for him?

gimme a break.

You give me a break.

I'm going to be quoting someone (ZYanksRule) to be exact... but it's only April. I was upset with the Yankees and just screaming at him today but honestly, I think he's right. But I do feel bad for him (Chase Wright).

TheMick@ND
04-23-07, 12:40 AM
You give me a break.

I'm going to be quoting someone (ZYanksRule) to be exact... but it's only April. I was upset with the Yankees and just screaming at him today but honestly, I think he's right. But I do feel bad for him (Chase Wright).

I do feel bad for him, but if he's unable to learn that if you're gonna miss, you can't miss up, over the middle of the plate then he's got a long way to go. Major league hitters are gonna pound that. This should be looked at as a great learning experience for him. He was trying to throw perfect breaking pitches for strikes, he K'd a few guys when he made those pitches and he left a few of them up over the plate and they got hammered. It happens. He's probably not quite ready for the bigs yet, but if he's not mentally tough enough to learn from this then, I don't really know what to say.

shotz
04-23-07, 12:41 AM
i thought he did ok despite the HRs. he kept ortiz from doing much damage. a rookie pitcher facing that kind of a hitter? i hope we see some more of Chase.

Bob Saccomano
04-23-07, 12:41 AM
Yeah, to a point, because he had 3 starts above A level under his belt before this one. But I think the outcome could have been more favorable for him and for the team if he had just calmed down a bit and tried throwing stuff off the plate instead of attacking hitters. He had ample evidence that the latter was not working for him.

Macklew
04-23-07, 12:45 AM

Where?

Michaels07
04-23-07, 12:46 AM
Send him back to Trenton, bring up hughes and cut out the Bull Cashman.

just-blaze
04-23-07, 01:04 AM

I agree sorta. The HR he let up to Lowell, Lowell was hanging over the plate. But I think the catcher or bench should be calling for a high hard one.

The guy is used to facing weak lineups, getting close calls/balls going his way and not playing in one of the best bandboxes in the world. Baring a psychological breakdown, he will be fine.

MichaelŪ
04-23-07, 01:08 AM
"Smarten"? Before insulting someone else's intelligence, it might not be a bad idea to check your spelling. Rocks and glass houses, ya know. The player-bashing in the game threads is bad enough, is it really necessary to carry it over here?

Actually, that wasn't a spelling error. It was the wrong usage of the word. A simple typo.

I'll say this one last time: If you give up four consecutive home runs at any level, that's not smart pitching.

We clear now?

Not once did I insult his intelligence. I simply suggested he didn't pitch smart enough in that sequence and I doubt anyone who's watched baseball for more than 34 minutes would disagree with me.

jbauer2485
04-23-07, 01:10 AM
Actually, that wasn't a spelling error. It was the wrong usage of the word. A simple typo.

I'll say this one last time: If you give up four consecutive home runs at any level, that's not smart pitching.

We clear now?

Not once did I insult his intelligence. I simply suggested he didn't pitch smart enough in that sequence and I doubt anyone who's watched baseball for more than 34 minutes would disagree with me.

Agreed, that was awful pitching. Maybe it would have been different if we had Posada behind the plate.

jimmykey2
04-23-07, 01:14 AM
Send him back to Trenton, bring up hughes and cut out the Bull Cashman.

Rushing a 20 year-old pitcher (and the minors' best prospect) up to the majors because the team has lost some games in APRIL is the height of stupidity.

NYYFAN5388
04-23-07, 01:17 AM
I sort of feel bad for him b/c he was pitching decently before the four homeruns

jbauer2485
04-23-07, 01:22 AM
I sort of feel bad for him b/c he was pitching decently before the four homeruns

Nah, he really wasn't that good.

BxBomber44
04-23-07, 01:24 AM
Agreed, that was awful pitching. Maybe it would have been different if we had Posada behind the plate.

It may have... but I thought Nieves did a respectable job.

BostonYankeeBoy
04-23-07, 01:30 AM
I sure hope he does not end up with another start because his next scheduled start will be on friday aganst the sox, and it will also be my first trip to the Stadium this year and I do not want to see him pitch again after what I had to see tonight.

MikeyZBT
04-23-07, 01:51 AM
Hopefully he doesn't let it get to him. He should realize how blessed he is to have had the opportunity to pitch in Fenway as part of the greatest rivalry in sports history. No, it didn't go well, but neither did Melky in 2005....

Well, yes, but Melky sucks now.

xiemark
04-23-07, 01:58 AM
It is Chase Wright's training day.

NYDCYankee
04-23-07, 02:12 AM
So who pitches Friday?

BonusCantos
04-23-07, 02:14 AM
Kinda, but if you give up 4 straight dingers with 2 outs, you're doing something VERY wrong.

penfold
04-23-07, 02:17 AM
So who pitches Friday?

Suit up, kid! There's space on the roster!
:P

DiMaggio5CF
04-23-07, 02:35 AM
I don't feel bad for him.

I know that he's inexperienced, and I expected him to get hit hard. But in getting hard, I expected him to go at least somewhat deep into the game and take one for the team.

I mean, three innings? Come on. Joe could have gone to a reliever to get that.

Octoberbaby
04-23-07, 03:24 AM
I kind of feel sorry for him. I think they should have taken him out after the 2nd HR.

Octoberbaby
04-23-07, 03:25 AM

I do agree with that. Too bad he couldn't keep it up.

YankeesMVPDJ2
04-23-07, 04:42 AM
I'll tell you right now, I would have much rather given up 4 homers to the Sux Tonight than be watching it at home. Pitching in the Majors is better than anything, so I do not feel bad for him, atleast he was on the mound.

JohnnyDamonfan
04-23-07, 05:18 AM
I don't feel bad for him. I'm just really angry at him. We needed and I mean really needed a win in one of those games. And I was really looking forward to Wright pitching against Dice-K at home on Friday. Now I'm not to sure if I want him to pitch or not.

FingersCrossed
04-23-07, 05:22 AM
A little bit. But then again, never expected him to David his way around Goliath in the first place. This was the best scary ride a kid could hope for on the house money. I only hope he's levelheaded enough to see where he's at, and where he wants to be in the future by improving his stuff.
Now, the adults are in the house. Kids, outside!

[edit]...And 5 minutes later, I hear he's gonna have another go against the Boston. Okay, kids, come back inside.

RhodeyYankee2638
04-23-07, 06:48 AM
I dont feel bad for him. You can lob the ball to the plate to 4 batters and woouldn't get 4 straight homers.

hardrain
04-23-07, 08:00 AM
I can't believe he is getting the start Friday against Boston again. Where is all this AAA depth? Scranton is arguably the best staff in their league, and Cashman brings up the AA guy? Desalvo or Ohlendorf should be here.

BRNXBMRS
04-23-07, 08:30 AM
I dont feel bad for him at all, its a great learning experience. He got to start for the New York Yankees and can build off of that.

TEPLimey
04-23-07, 09:19 AM
This difference between this thread and this (http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=102797) thread is shocking, considering that Wright was thrown into the lions den against the most hyped pitcher in baseball.

Lets take one start for what it is: one start. I'm still interested to see what he can do on Friday against the Red Sox. Considering our other options (calling up Hughes too early, bringing up Clippard who has been knocked around of late), starting him is the right call, Sunday notwithstanding.

35Knucklecurve
04-23-07, 09:23 AM
I do agree with that. Too bad he couldn't keep it up.
He's got a pretty good change up that allowed him to escape some real damage before the nightmare started. These are MLB hitters he's facing and all most of them need is a couple of at-bats to pick up on a pitcher's tendancies and weaknesses.

I do feel badlly for him in the sense that he didn't ask for this start. Hopefully, he's learned from his mistakes and it also gave Guidry and guys like Pettitte a chance to observe him in a real pressure situation and offer some advice.

jughead
04-23-07, 09:38 AM
I kind of feel sorry for him. I think they should have taken him out after the 2nd HR.
That would be ridiculous.

Panamaniac42
04-23-07, 09:41 AM
I feel bad that Gator didn't come out to talk to him until he gave up the hat trick and I feel bad that whatever was said didn't even work. I also feel bad that he's apparently starting again on Friday. I was fine with Cashman's reasoning for bringing him up (rewarding the hottest hand) but I gotta agree with hardrain..."Where is all this AAA depth?"

Panamaniac42
04-23-07, 09:43 AM
I do feel badlly for him in the sense that he didn't ask for this start.

Maybe he didn't ask for it, but that Sunday night at Fenway start should be every Yankee farmhand's dream.

hardrain
04-23-07, 09:43 AM
That would be ridiculous.

A man in that position should not be made to look ridiculous.
He ain't no band leader.

MTYankee23
04-23-07, 09:52 AM
With the knowledge that all of the available starters are rookies. I'm guessing that the intention when Wright was brought up was NOT to have him throw to an inexperienced (in major league terms) Catcher. I think this makes a big difference. No way do they hit 4 HRs in a row with Posada behind the plate. Another thing to consider is that there's the potential that having Jorge behind the plate giving his case for Wright, he might have gotted a few calls here and there (which he wasn't).

jughead
04-23-07, 09:54 AM
A man in that position should not be made to look ridiculous.
He ain't no band leader.
Hindsight is 20/20. If he had given up back to back jacks and then settled down to pitch another 4 flawless innings you wouldn't have thought twice about keeping him in after the 2nd HR right now.

Tino55
04-23-07, 09:58 AM
I don't feel bad for someone who gets to play baseball professionally for the Yankees.

Correct

hardrain
04-23-07, 10:07 AM
Hindsight is 20/20. If he had given up back to back jacks and then settled down to pitch another 4 flawless innings you wouldn't have thought twice about keeping him in after the 2nd HR right now.

He's a AA pitcher. He shouldn't be here.

wardsp
04-23-07, 02:04 PM
Hes only the 2nd pitched in ALL of baseball history to give up 4 back to back homeruns in one innning. Kind of hard to feel sorry for him when he fails on that level.

the yankee
04-23-07, 03:58 PM
Who is going to pitch on friday, because I dont think Wright can do it and I really hope he does get sent back to Trenton.

iodon
04-23-07, 04:02 PM
I feel bad for all the people on this board who are constantly saying "let the kids play!". Then the kids stink up the joint all weekend.

JeffWeaverFan
04-23-07, 04:05 PM
He was optioned down according to the Fan. No word on who will start on Friday. Hughes is supposed to pitch tomorrow night, so if his start is skipped, that will tell us something. Not sure who else it can be as Rasner was sent down and I believe he has to spend 10 days (or 15?) in the minors before getting called back up.

hardrain
04-23-07, 04:14 PM
He was optioned down according to the Fan. No word on who will start on Friday. Hughes is supposed to pitch tomorrow night, so if his start is skipped, that will tell us something. Not sure who else it can be as Rasner was sent down and I believe he has to spend 10 days (or 15?) in the minors before getting called back up.

wow....that is breaking news....

dabomb2045
04-23-07, 04:16 PM

I'm guessing if Hughes is skipped....we will see him on Friday. Talk about throwing the kid into the fire.

MichaelŪ
04-23-07, 04:19 PM
In fairness to Torre, the onslaught happened so fast that he didn't have time to get anybody up in the 'pen and get this kid out of the game before he made a total fool of himself.

He gave up four bombs on 10 pitches after getting two quick outs. To be honest, it sort of just happened.

JavyVazquezIsSick
04-23-07, 04:20 PM

Was Rasner sent down?

dabomb2045
04-23-07, 04:21 PM
Was Rasner sent down?

Yeah he was sent down a few days ago

gdn
04-23-07, 04:21 PM
Clippard is starting on Friday.

I hope :D

JavyVazquezIsSick
04-23-07, 04:22 PM
Cashman should be working a deal for Myers...

Jasbro
04-23-07, 04:23 PM
In fairness to Torre, the onslaught happened so fast that he didn't have time to get anybody up in the 'pen and get this kid out of the game before he made a total fool of himself.

He gave up four bombs on 10 pitches after getting two quick outs. To be honest, it sort of just happened.

I really don't think Wright made a fool of himself.

A minor league pitcher getting knocked around by a major league line-up on a Little League field has nothing to be ashamed of.

Jglaubman
04-23-07, 04:28 PM
I definitely feel bad for Wright. He was obviously not ready for the Majors, but with the state of our rotation, we needed someone. The only reason the Yanks called him up and not Hughes or Clippard is because they didn't want to mess them up. The Yankees didn't really care if they messed up Wright because he probably won't be a Big League pitcher anyway. It was completely unfair for anyone to think that Wright could go from pitching in AA to pitching against the Red Sox without struggling a great deal.

JeffWeaverFan
04-23-07, 04:30 PM
Yeah he was sent down a few days ago
Yep, for Colter Bean.

JeffWeaverFan
04-23-07, 04:31 PM
Cashman should be working a deal for Myers...
Just because they moved him to the pen doesn't mean they are down on him. They just feel they desperately need bullpen help and hope Lieber can be an effective starter. IMO, it would cost Proctor + Clippard + Bruney or something along those lines. They will definitely want 2 guys from the pen and a prospect.

JavyVazquezIsSick
DeSalvo was DFA'd?

hardrain
According to Minko on the WFAN - Matsui replaces Wright on the 25 man roster

JavyVazquezIsSick
04-23-07, 04:32 PM
Just because they moved him to the pen doesn't mean they are down on him. They just feel they desperately need bullpen help and hope Lieber can be an effective starter. IMO, it would cost Proctor + Clippard + Bruney or something along those lines. They will definitely want 2 guys from the pen and a prospect.

Proctor, Clippard, and Melky would be worth it IMO...

gdn
04-23-07, 04:33 PM
DeSalvo was DFA'd?Why would he be DFA?

hardrain
I'm surprised they didn't call up another reliever for the week.

JeffWeaverFan
Clippard is starting on Friday.

I hope :D
When is he scheduled to pitch for AAA? I'd be pretty surprised if they went to him considering he has a 5.14 ERA so far.

JavyVazquezIsSick
04-23-07, 04:34 PM
Why would he be DFA?

Thought I read something in the minor league threads, must be hallucinating again, if he isn't, that is my pick...

EDIT: Yup, def hallucinating.

gdn
04-23-07, 04:35 PM
When is he scheduled to pitch for AAA? I'd be pretty surprised if they went to him considering he has a 5.14 ERA so far.Well, the guy with the 0.00 ERA didn't work, so why not? :P

I think he is scheduled to pitch on Thursday or Friday.

susieb8020
04-23-07, 04:41 PM
You know who I feel badly for? ME! In this admittedly young season we've already experienced enough extreme highs and lows to last the entire season.

Game 1 - opening day 9-5 win - 10th straight home opener victory for Yanks... Yeah!
Game 2 - rain out - Boo
Game 3 - Pettitte's debut - we lose when the winning run is scored off a wild pitch
Game 4 - Yankees strand 10 in Mussina meltdown and 6-4 loss to Baltimore
Game 5 - Walk off grand salami for Arod - DOUBLE YEAH!
Game 6 - Lose momentum and the game - fall 6-4 to O's again
Game 7 - Bounce back onslaught of the Twinkies - Gem by Pavano who later trades in success for another DL stint
Game 8 - Onslaught of the Twinkies part II - Pettitte is superb
Game 9 - Mussina to DL, Farnsworth stinks up the joint, gives up 4 runs in tie game. Yanks fall 5-1
Game 10 - Farnsworth strikes again - this time in Oakland as we burn our bullpen in a 5-4 loss that took far too many innings and pitches
Game 11 - Giambi lifts Yanks with late inning homer in 13 inning win
Game 12 - Mo blows Pettitte's gem by giving up an 0-2 3-run homer to a .050 "hitter"
Games 13-15 - Yanks return home and sweep Cleveland with offensive onslaught, good pitching, capped by Arod's second walk off homer (what a thrill!)
Games 16-18 - Mo blows Andy's dandy (version 2.0) and Arod's double dingers off the oversized Christmas tree; our farmhands throw BP to Boston hitters; total bullpen meltdown; want to cry

Anyway, I know it's April, but it's been a long 17 games. Only good thing is that it spells a win for us tonight (I hope).

FingersCrossed
04-23-07, 04:48 PM
Game 1 - opening day 9-5 win - 10th straight home opener victory for Yanks... Yeah!
Game 2 - rain out - Boo
Game 3 - Pettitte's debut - we lose when the winning run is scored off a wild pitch
Game 4 - Yankees strand 10 in Mussina meltdown and 6-4 loss to Baltimore
Game 5 - Walk off grand salami for Arod - DOUBLE YEAH!
Game 6 - Lose momentum and the game - fall 6-4 to O's again
Game 7 - Bounce back onslaught of the Twinkies - Gem by Pavano who later trades in success for another DL stint
Game 8 - Onslaught of the Twinkies part II - Pettitte is superb
Game 9 - Mussina to DL, Farnsworth stinks up the joint, gives up 4 runs in tie game. Yanks fall 5-1
Game 10 - Farnsworth strikes again - this time in Oakland as we burn our bullpen in a 5-4 loss that took far too many innings and pitches
Game 11 - Giambi lifts Yanks with late inning homer in 13 inning win
Game 12 - Mo blows Pettitte's gem by giving up an 0-2 3-run homer to a .050 "hitter"
Games 13-15 - Yanks return home and sweep Cleveland with offensive onslaught, good pitching, capped by Arod's second walk off homer (what a thrill!)
Games 16-18 - Mo blows Andy's dandy (version 2.0) and Arod's double dingers off the oversized Christmas tree; our farmhands throw BP to Boston hitters; total bullpen meltdown; want to cry

Wow, I like your summary. Can I get one for the complete season around November?:2thumbs:

The Q Bomb
04-23-07, 05:15 PM
Sorry for Wright? I feel sorry for me! I watched that mess - with no option but to witness it on ESPN. It was nauseating even with the mute button on. As my husband said to me, "You're all upset and the players are out having a nice steak dinner!" I'll save my pity for us Yankee fans (especially the ones paying upwards of $50 a ticket!).

RIyankee
04-24-07, 02:34 PM
I do.

I hope Hughes doesn't wind up the same way.

You can't rush these guys.

DontHateOnNumber2
04-24-07, 02:36 PM
I don't feel bad, it must've really hurt at the time but he'll get his shot to redeem himself. Besides the guy skipped Scranton for the start! He'll be alright.