PDA

View Full Version : In Praise of John Flaherty

Gehrig'sGhost
04-10-07, 11:18 AM
Thought I’d posit that John Flaherty is turning into a pretty damn good announcer/color guy. He has good insights and a surprisingly measured tone for someone who hasn’t been doing this very long. IMHO, he is SO MUCH BETTER than Al “Cigarette” Leiter that it just isn’t funny. I cannot stand Al’s whiny, “I know it all”, “How many times do I have to say this”, “I’m saying this so this is the way things are” tone. I know, I know, some will say that he gets frustrated with Kaye, but the person who ultimately suffers is the listener. While Leiter does have good things to say on occasion, I really cannot take his ego-filled, condescending tone for another season. For everything about Leiter that rubs me wrong, and there are many (not the least of which is the rumor that his presence is why Kitty has retired for good), Flaherty is the exact opposite. Here’s to hoping they use him for more and more games.

Bern51
04-10-07, 11:31 AM
I agree, my ideal broadcasting team right now would be Singleton, Girardi and Flaherty. The chance of a 3-man booth (including 2 former Yankees catchers) without Kay around however are slim to none.

yankeebot
04-10-07, 11:33 AM
I really like Flaherty, Girardi and Leiter along with Singleton, of course. Now if we could just find a way to get rid of Kay.....

aayankeesfan
04-10-07, 11:38 AM
i miss Jim Kaat.

Dr. Gonzo
04-10-07, 11:43 AM
Kay is getting worse. Although the only other announcers I see are the espn ones so I give him some slack.

But yesterday I watched a Met game because my roommate was, and while their announcers are all over the place and go off on tangents I will admit it was more entertaining, less pretentious, and overall more enjoyable.

Gehrig'sGhost
04-10-07, 11:50 AM
I agree, my ideal broadcasting team right now would be Singleton, Girardi and Flaherty. The chance of a 3-man booth (including 2 former Yankees catchers) without Kay around however are slim to none.

Yes, I fully agree on Girardi, but figure he is but a fired manager away from getting another kind of call. ;)

Gehrig'sGhost
04-10-07, 12:43 PM
i miss Jim Kaat.

Me, too. Big time

dont_ya_know24
04-10-07, 12:46 PM
they should get john sterling to broadcast.
that guy is da bomb, although i won't be able to listen to him anymore, cus i don't have yes.

dont_ya_know24
04-10-07, 12:52 PM
i like paul o'neill, cus he neer says anything :)

Panamaniac42
04-10-07, 02:43 PM
Kay is getting worse. Although the only other announcers I see are the espn ones so I give him some slack.

But yesterday I watched a Met game because my roommate was, and while their announcers are all over the place and go off on tangents I will admit it was more entertaining, less pretentious, and overall more enjoyable.

It's weird, watching the game yesterday on mlb.tv, I was surprised how much the Twins announcers sucked. I didn't even realize Bobby Abreu had hit a homerun, I thought they were broadcasting a funeral. That being said, I don't care for "SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSEEYA....A LOOONG HOMERUN FOR DAVID ORTIZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" It's a fine line and a tough job I guess.

flymick24
04-10-07, 02:54 PM
alex rod-driguez

Bozidar
04-10-07, 03:35 PM
He was good, but i can see how his stories are going to become a little less interesting as time goes by. The life of a backup catcher.. it's not a fabulous one.

I liked him last night, but i've got an itch that he won't last.

mrmike98
04-10-07, 03:43 PM
He's a much better listen than Leiter.

Bozidar
04-10-07, 03:46 PM
He's a much better listen than Leiter.Yeah but neigher of them compare to Katt. That dood RULED.

susieb8020
04-10-07, 03:54 PM
Does anyone know why Michael Kay still has a job in broadcasting?

ace
04-10-07, 03:57 PM
I must be Michael Kay's only fan.

Bozidar
04-10-07, 04:02 PM
I must be Michael Kay's only fan.GET HIM!!! !! !!!! !!! !

dont_ya_know24
04-10-07, 04:21 PM
GET HIM!!! !! !!!! !!! !

:roflmao:

justtxyank
04-10-07, 04:27 PM
High fly ball, fairly deep to right field. See ya!

The pitch to David Ortiz...driven DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP to Right field....CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC-YA! A TWO-RUN HOMERUN FOR DAVID ORTIZ AND THE RED SOX LEAD 5-3!!!!!!!!!!shift1!!

I can't stand Kay as a broadcaster. He's actually very intelligent about the game though.

BillBuckner
04-10-07, 04:44 PM
I like him. He's got a nice voice, personality, and he actually knows what he's talking about. The only thing he could improve on is that he sometimes speaks too softly and unassertively.

Gehrig'sGhost
04-10-07, 05:19 PM
He's a much better listen than Leiter.

Can I get an amen?! :)

Jen19
04-12-07, 09:16 PM
I think Flaherty has been great to listen to also. I do miss Jim Kaat though...:(

Sam18
04-12-07, 09:18 PM
High fly ball, fairly deep to right field. See ya!

The pitch to David Ortiz...driven DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP to Right field....CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC-YA! A TWO-RUN HOMERUN FOR DAVID ORTIZ AND THE RED SOX LEAD 5-3!!!!!!!!!!shift1!!

I can't stand Kay as a broadcaster. He's actually very intelligent about the game though.

Lol last night's game he creamed himself when the twins were scoring.

Seth
04-12-07, 10:22 PM
Lol last night's game he creamed himself when the twins were scoring.
I noticed that too. I think Kay is so concerned that he's percieved as a homer, that he tries too hard to objective like he did during the bottom of the 8th inning last night. It really gets ridculous when they play the Red Sox. I think Kay gets more excited when the Red Sox do something good than the Red Sox annoucers do.

PeteRFNY
04-12-07, 11:14 PM
I generally like Flaherty, but for some strange reason he spent the whole Twins series addressing a litany of things that he didn't like when he was a player. This guy doing this, that guy doing that. It became very tiresome after a while. It was like listening to that obnoxious guy behind you at the game complain about everything. Enough already.

ManilaYankee
04-13-07, 01:40 AM
Btw guys, what's up with Kaat? Can someone give me an update. Thanks.

jbauer2485
04-13-07, 10:22 AM
I noticed that too. I think Kay is so concerned that he's percieved as a homer, that he tries too hard to objective like he did during the bottom of the 8th inning last night. It really gets ridculous when they play the Red Sox. I think Kay gets more excited when the Red Sox do something good than the Red Sox annoucers do.

I agree, he should really just not be doing the SSEEEE YAAA for any Red Sox player. Other than that I don't mind Kay. At least Kay is better than some other announcers that don't even acknowledge the other teams. I can't remember who they are, but I've heard announcers sigh with a few seconds of silence or say something negative after the opposing team does something well.

iodon
04-13-07, 12:06 PM

I feel the same way. He does it on his radio show as well.

Ct.Fan
04-13-07, 01:11 PM
Btw guys, what's up with Kaat? Can someone give me an update. Thanks.

He's retired...travelling the country in his motor home with his wife according to his appearance in March on a spring training game. He did say he will be making contributions to the YES website.

ManilaYankee
04-13-07, 07:08 PM
He's retired...travelling the country in his motor home with his wife according to his appearance in March on a spring training game. He did say he will be making contributions to the YES website.

Thanks! Oh yeah, I remember. Sorry, lapse on my part. :D

jeetforever
04-13-07, 09:06 PM
I think John is doing a good job, & I also miss Kitty; however, I miss Bobby Murcer even more. I can't wait to hear him back in the booth. I want Kay fired already - can't stand him anymore. Does anyone know how many years he has on his contract? Can we start a petition?! :D

BxBomber44
04-13-07, 09:55 PM
Can we all agree that Kaye says aforementioned way too much.

GIAMBISMYIDOL25
04-13-07, 11:14 PM
i really enjoy listening to kay. i enjoy his radio show on 1050 as well tho. i cant stand the combination of singleton kaat and murcer. i wish them well, i just dont like listening to them call games. regardless; even tho i have mlb.tv, i find myself listening to the mlb radio to listen to sterling. i would rather deal with suzyn waldman than listen to no kay/flash/girardi

BBombers85
04-13-07, 11:28 PM
John Flaherty : :D
Michael Kay: :mad:

Pinstripedbass
04-14-07, 09:59 AM
Does anyone know why Michael Kay still has a job in broadcasting?

He has blackmail photos of YES executives. :lol:

Pinstripedbass
04-14-07, 10:01 AM

I agree. I would also throw David Justice into that mix.

Pinstripedbass
04-14-07, 10:03 AM
I think John is doing a good job, & I also miss Kitty; however, I miss Bobby Murcer even more. I can't wait to hear him back in the booth. I want Kay fired already - can't stand him anymore. Does anyone know how many years he has on his contract? Can we start a petition?! :D

Michael Kay has got to be the most irritating PBP man in baseball. He's like an itch. You scratch it and scratch it but it just won't go away.

MunsonNY15
04-14-07, 02:08 PM
Flash is a good color man, but he has a way to go before doing play by play. It seemed in ST that YES had him, Leiter, and Girardi doing PBP for a few innings (their own "booth" spring training?). Listening to Flash do PBP a viewer really gets an appreciation for someone who does it well.

Heidi

southernNYYfan
04-14-07, 02:51 PM
At least Kay is better than Ken "Hawk" Harrelson. If he was the PBP man I had to listen to, the mute button would be commonly used.